Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Musk at Code conference 2016: Model X is quite sublime at this point.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With more than 90% front door latch broken in first 3 weeks

this is garbage
Yes, your data point is "garbage" because you just made it up. Yes, some percentage of X front door latches have failed. We have no idea what that percentage is. Only some people inside Tesla know.

Making stuff up is no basis for having a rational discussion.

Let's hope he's right. I love the FWD and yes, it is a software problem, so completely fixable. Durability is yet to be seen but that's a separate issue.

To me, being complex doesn't mean it'll be unreliable. A gas engine is exponentially more complex than a falcon wing door and yet most people will accept that it can be very reliable. Reliability is an engineering issue, not a complexity issue.

Yes, your data point is "garbage" because you just made it up. Yes, some percentage of X front door latches have failed. We have no idea what that percentage is. Only some people inside Tesla know.

Making stuff up is no basis for having a rational discussion.

I think when he said 90%, he exaggerated to just get his point across. He doesn't have the exact percentage but just exacerbated it. Not defending the statement, just possibly seeing that it may have been misconstrued in a monotoned setting (forum talk).

Extremely bad form to inarticulatey call it garbage. Very damning and sounds like a cynical statement.

Don't you know 73.3% of all statistics are made up...:p

Did you know that 81.2% of people who say 73.3% of statistics are made up also make those up? ;)

Last edited:
Whenever Elon talks about the Model X, he has that same demeanor that he had at the "delivery event" in September. I don't know how to describe it, but it has an air of resignation to it. I noted this in the active discussion back in September. He seemed almost apologetic, and that doesn't seem to have changed. Maybe if things get ironed out really well, his body language will start to match the verbiage.

Maybe he was referring to the X being sublime from a chemistry pov. I'd hate to be in Arizona for the X to turn to vapor from the heat and to a solid block when nighttime comes and cools down.

Seriously, he realizes the mistakes he made. We as owners and future owners benefit in the fact that we get a fully updated vehicle as opposed to what he says he should have done by slowly adding each tech in different phases of the vehicle's life. Further depreciating and making previous model year's X's further obsolete.

I'd rather put up with some issues and get those added options like the sculpted seats, windshield etc...

• Love
Reactions: ZachShahan