Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Musk Says ‘Major Navigation Overhaul’ Coming in 2018

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla CEO Elon Musk said today that a “major navigation overhaul” is coming to Tesla vehicles in 2018.

Retweeting a TMC post, Musk teased “some cool software updates.”

Pressed for more information, he said, “Major navigation overhaul coming in early 2018. Will be light-years ahead of current system, but we are testing it rigorously before rolling out.”

Some updates in Tesla’s software code have hinted at an update to the maps system. TMC member and Tesla hacker verygreen discovered several interesting developments in Tesla’s software related to maps. For instance, code included in the 2017.44 software update enabled “vector maps.” He noted, “The looks are mostly the same, but it allows you to zoom quite a bit more and friends that tried it in-motion report much smoother operation + higher detailed maps on the big screen.”

What would you like to see in a maps update?

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Funny
Reactions: Swift
It doesn't. @scaesare apparently suggested they have a relation when he used Puerto Rico as some kind of an example:

I simply asked if they were gifted or sold there, which seems to relate to any point he would be making. Nobody answered.

I won’t speak for @scaesare, but I have a firm grasp of the English language, and fully understand the point he made.

Questioning Tesla’s motive for their life saving act is unconscionable.

Reactions: scaesare
It doesn't. @scaesare apparently suggested they have a relation when he used Puerto Rico as some kind of an example

Incorrect. Do not mischaracterize what I said.

I did NOT tie PR to the thread title, which is a nav overhaul. It was a response to your post which was off-thread-topic (your assessment of the motivation for the easter egg):
AnxietyRanger said:
I think this was a good marketing deed.

The fact that I didn't name anyone specific questioning the motivation for PR, and you subsequently decided to do so speaks for itself.

I think a retraction is in order.

I won’t speak for @scaesare, but I have a firm grasp of the English language, and fully understand the point he made.

Questioning Tesla’s motive for their life saving act is unconscionable.

I am not questioning Tesla's motives, so stop insinuating that. I am asking a question about @scaesare's argument. There is a difference.

If @scaesare is using Tesla's Puerto Rico actions as an argument (as he/she was), it is reasonable to ask to which extent that argument goes, to put the argument in correct context.

If you are in need, there is a difference if I give you what you need vs. if I sell you at list price what you need. Or whether the terms are something in-between. All three options can still be good deeds, but they are different deeds.

It was a simple question. All it needed was an answer.

I am not questioning Tesla's motives, so stop insinuating that.

I don't think he needs to insinuate.

Is this not you questioning whether this was primarily a charitable act or a public relations exercise?:

But how can we assess the nature of your claim regarding Tesla's Puerto Rico involvement without the answer?

If Tesla gave the Powerpacks to Puerto Rico as gift, it would be more charity than public relations. If they instead mostly just redirected sales to Puerto Rico, then it would seem more like a public relations exercise and a sales opportunity IMO.

Reactions: Joe F
I was explaining to you the need for the question, which for some reason you refuse to answer clearly (even saying you don't know).

So far I am assuming Tesla gifted the devices.
Oh I understand... no need to explain it to me. I've already responded earlier on my take.

You are the one who:

- Jumped in when I referred to people questioning the motives of the PR actions
- Wants to know the details of the transaction
- Has said there's a question as to if it's charitable or PR.

@Joe F reads me right. I'm not questioning the motive. Your posts certainly suggest you are.

If you aren't then simply tell us what you think Tesla's motives in their PR actions were?

Oh I understand... no need to explain it to me. I've already responded earlier on my take.

You are the one who:

- Jumped in when I referred to people questioning the motives of the PR actions
- Wants to know the details of the transaction
- Has said there's a question as to if it's charitable or PR.

@Joe F reads me right. I'm not questioning the motive. Your posts certainly suggest you are.

If you aren't then simply tell us what you think Tesla's motives in their PR actions were?

The Santa Claus "Easter Egg" seems a public relations exercise, but I'm also with e.g. bonnie in that it probably didn't take that much time to make. So I'm not personally too worried about it. But I understand the optics are bad for some people who feel miffed Tesla hasn't provided promised/sold feature updates instead (many months-late/year-late EAP/FSD/"8.1" promises still missing). In reality, if the Easter Egg effort had gone into e.g. fixing the media player, it probably would have gotten fixed, but then again that would not have gotten media space on Engadget etc. for Tesla...

Summary: So, Santa, PR, but IMO harmless, though I understand those who feel the optics are bad.

Regarding Puerto Rico, which you brought up:

I have assumed from all the reporting around Tesla's actions in Puerto Rico, that a significant gift/charity from Tesla is involved. If my assumption is correct (granted, I have not looked very deeply into it), I have no reason to question any motives, hence I am not. If you know differently, I would appreciate being corrected.

Seeing that you used the Puerto Rico case as an argument in response to a message of mine, though, I felt it reasonable to ask about it. When that simple question was not answered (still isn't, as you evade it for whatever reason), it evolved into a mini-debate instead. Now, THAT's Internet. It was already in the Usenet days, of course, so doubtful it will change. :)

Much of the traffic is generated by people talking past each other.

One thing I miss about Usenet was the quoting and reply-to-reply message threading culture. People actually responded to each other's points that way, instead of vague messages that become hard to understand what they are referring to exactly. This adds to confusion...

Reactions: JeroenF
To return to the topic of a maps upgrade, though, it would potentially seem influential in various ways. I would expect it to be a requirement for the following:

- AP1/AP2 auto exit-lane taking
- Possibly EAP auto lane changing (requires visual blind-spot detection too, of course)
- FSD (cross-country video?)

Though we know the delays have not just been maps, the AP2 NN has gone through multiple iterations and has had many delays, but a maps overhaul does seem potentially connected to the self-driving/driver's aid efforts.

Any chance ap1 cars get auto lane change (tacc) and or freeway exit e.g Freeway to freeway change with this sort of nav update or do we think ap2+ is required for this sort of thing?

Auto lane-change probably no, because ultrasonic blind-spot detection can't be trusted enough and don't see far back enough?

But auto-freeway exit was promised for December 2016 "8.1" (a version which, as such, was never released) for AP1 and thus seems likely to come at some point. A maps upgrade would seem like potentially related...

• Helpful
Reactions: TaoJones and Blup85
Tesla CEO Elon Musk said today that a “major navigation overhaul” is coming to Tesla vehicles in 2018. Retweeting a TMC post, Musk teased “some cool software updates.” Glad to see that Tesla owners are having a good experience. Working to improve further. Some cool software updates coming soon. Tesla Motors Club on Twitter — Elon Musk (@elonmusk) December...
[WPURI="https://teslamotorsclub.com/blog/2017/12/21/musk-says-major-navigation-overhaul-coming-in-2018/"]READ FULL ARTICLE[/WPURI]
One complaint I have about the present navigation system is that you cannot change a route once it is started. For example I you hit a high traffic area and want to try a different route the system keeps telling you to make a u turn and continue the original route rather than find an alternative path.
Kenn

• Disagree
Reactions: Snerruc
One complaint I have about the present navigation system is that you cannot change a route once it is started. For example I you hit a high traffic area and want to try a different route the system keeps telling you to make a u turn and continue the original route rather than find an alternative path.
Kenn
It will re-route eventually. Sometimes it's instantaneous. Other times, it'll try to make you U-turn for quite some time.

Kenn

Just hit "cancel route" and restart the nav to your destination -- if there's traffic usually it will re-route faster than waiting for it to figure it out on its own.