Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blog Musk Settles SEC Fraud Charges, Will Step Down as Tesla’s Chairman

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla Chief Executive Elon Musk will give up his chairman title under the terms of a settlement with the Securities and Exchange Commission related to fraud charges, according to a release.

Musk and Tesla have agreed to settle the charges against them without admitting or denying the SEC’s allegations. Among other relief, the settlements require that:

Musk will step down as Tesla’s Chairman and be replaced by an independent Chairman. Musk will be ineligible to be re-elected Chairman for three years;

Tesla will appoint a total of two new independent directors to its board;

Tesla will establish a new committee of independent directors and put in place additional controls and procedures to oversee Musk’s communications;

Musk and Tesla will each pay a separate $20 million penalty. The $40 million in penalties will be distributed to harmed investors under a court-approved process.

“The total package of remedies and relief announced today are specifically designed to address the misconduct at issue by strengthening Tesla’s corporate governance and oversight in order to protect investors,” Stephanie Avakian, Co-Director of the SEC’s Enforcement Division, said in a release.

According to the SEC’s complaint against him, Musk tweeted on August 7, 2018 that he could take Tesla private at $420 per share — a substantial premium to its trading price at the time — that funding for the transaction had been secured, and that the only remaining uncertainty was a shareholder vote. The SEC’s complaint alleged that, in truth, Musk knew that the potential transaction was uncertain and subject to numerous contingencies. Musk had not discussed specific deal terms, including price, with any potential financing partners, and his statements about the possible transaction lacked an adequate basis in fact. According to the SEC’s complaint, Musk’s misleading tweets caused Tesla’s stock price to jump by over six percent on August 7, and led to significant market disruption.

The settlement is subject to court approval.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Ludalicious
Bottom line: Elon is not forbidden from tweeting. However, people may no longer get an instantaneous reply from him on Twitter, depending on the process Tesla puts in place.

I concur. Musk will still be able to tweet plenty, he will just need to get approval first if the tweet is Tesla related. Frankly, this is a good thing IMO. I am a big Musk fan and a big Tesla fan but the fact remains that a CEO cannot just tweet whatever they feel like. When Musk tweets that he has funds secured to go private or tweets that FSD is probably 6 months away, that has a huge influence that goes way beyond just Tesla. It can affect the stock price and big investments, especially if those tweets don't pan out. Helping Musk be more responsible and more professional in his tweets, will only help the company as a whole.

I concur. Musk will still be able to tweet plenty, he will just need to get approval first if the tweet is Tesla related. Frankly, this is a good thing IMO. I am a big Musk fan and a big Tesla fan but the fact remains that a CEO cannot just tweet whatever they feel like. When Musk tweets that he has funds secured to go private or tweets that FSD is probably 6 months away, that has a huge influence that goes way beyond just Tesla. It can affect the stock price and big investments, especially if those tweets don't pan out. Helping Musk be more responsible and more professional in his tweets, will only help the company as a whole.

Musk pretty much owns Tesla both financially and technically. Just like he owns SpaceX. Only difference is that one is private and one is public.

IMO....that gives you license to say what you want.

I suppose when the company you own is public....you are limited as to what you can say. No wonder he wanted to go private.

Reactions: FalconFour
Elon may still have enough control to decide who gets on the board, but don't forget that the two new board members will have "fiduciary responsibility", and can be personally sued if they act in a way that is detrimental to shareholders (e.g., those other than Elon).

All in all, it's a good move. Elon can remain as the visionary, but the board can start putting in reasonable controls and help Elon bring on senior managers he needs to manage the company's growth.

They have a great product, well ahead of any competition, but that competition will be nipping at the heels. Jag and others will be rolling out 300-mile range cars, but they still probably won't have a sophisticated EAP. VW is going electric, and they have the beginnings of an EAP (lane following, but only for the highway, and it doesn't keep centered right now... but it's a foundation).

Their advantages? Dealerships. Their disadvantage? Dealerships. But they hold the advantage of service centers.

IMHO, if VW wants to go all-electric in their fleet, they should just acquire Tesla. But I'm afraid they'd boot out Elon and kill the Golden Goose.

Reactions: dhrivnak
But Jeff,

You are asking for exactly what has happened.

He uses Twitter in a tremendously wise way....for years upon years now. Do you mean perfection?
I mean don't tweet about going private when funding is not actually secured. Also the personal attacks on the cave guy. Etc.

You seem to assume any change would be worse. I assume change can be an improvement. It really depends who they get to be on the board and who the board elects to chairman. It could be someone excellent and highly dynamic. I never assume the worst. I do hope for positive improvements.

Last edited:
Here is an explanation from Slate:
Long time "contradiction" in US corporate structure has been Chairman/CEO has been just one person rather than two as was the original intent/design. So the idea that the Chairman and Board could serve as a check and balance on the CEO. My personal view is the melding of these two positions is when CEO salaries started to sky rocket. (no Chairman to help keep in check).

Reactions: dhrivnak
Our culture, both social and business, have their share of problems.
Sadly, the legal system, from business to criminal to prisons way out of control.
Military Industrial Complex is bring down the Empire thru massive waste, fraud, abuse and outright murder of millions.

Social Media - what an experiment.
Twitter is a problem for most and now it is used to "attack" both Musk and Tesla. Really? Seriously? "secured funding" ??
Government protecting customer or safeguard product or employees (plenty of regs for that). No SEC to "protect" the speculative class profits. (while claiming to protect shareholders/owners.)

Tesla being too successful and sadly there seem to be many that would love to slow down or stop Tesla growth.

...I’d like to think this is over...

"Musk’s agreement with the SEC has no bearing itself on whether the Department of Justice decides to pursue action against him. There are also civil actions against Musk that aren't impacted by the SEC settlement."

"Former prosecutors and criminal law experts think Tesla (NASDAQ:TSLA) CEO Elon Musk's deal with the SEC reduces the odds that he will see criminal prosecution from the DOJ over misleading investors."

Interesting article from the NY Times on the story behind the settlement:

Elon Musk’s Ultimatum to Tesla: Fight the S.E.C., or I Quit

Basically, Tesla's board passed on SEC's generous offer because of Elon's ultimatum. The next day, after the stock tanked, Tesla came back begging for an offer, except this time, the terms aren't nearly as good.

Shows how little control and checks the Board has on Elon. Adding independent directors is probably a good idea to help this company mature and stabilize.

Basically, Tesla's board passed on SEC's generous offer because of Elon's ultimatum. The next day, after the stock tanked, Tesla came back begging for an offer, except this time, the terms aren't nearly as good.

Too bad that isn't actually what happened. Tesla wasn't charged until Saturday at the same time that they settled. Elon rejected his first settlement offer, but then settled on Friday a day before Tesla. So the facts don't appear to 100% line up with that article.

Shows how little control and checks the Board has on Elon. Adding independent directors is probably a good idea to help this company mature and stabilize.

Oh stop it. That's a FUD article.

If you want something to do....go chase down the other companies the SEC is suing. The SEC is money hungry....and none of that money (fines) goes where they say it does. Here is a link to chase down the tons of other companies they are suing. Enjoy.
SEC.gov | Litigation Releases

There will never be a document that states that Tesla nor Elon did anything wrong. There was no suit.

Its over....lets move on.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: R.S
Too bad that isn't actually what happened. Tesla wasn't charged until Saturday at the same time that they settled. Elon rejected his first settlement offer, but then settled on Friday a day before Tesla. So the facts don't appear to 100% line up with that article.

Uh did you actually read the article?

Quote from only the *second* paragraph: "After the S.E.C. responded by accusing Mr. Musk, but not the company that he had co-founded, of securities fraud..."

Which is in line with what you said. I don't see any inaccuracies with respect to any details that is first reported in the article. Do you have any evidence otherwise?

Reactions: P85_DA
Oh stop it. That's a FUD article.

If you want something to do....go chase down the other companies the SEC is suing. The SEC is money hungry....and none of that money (fines) goes where they say it does. Here is a link to chase down the tons of other companies they are suing. Enjoy.
SEC.gov | Litigation Releases

There will never be a document that states that Tesla nor Elon did anything wrong. There was no suit.

Its over....lets move on.

I hate to break it to you, but Wall Street is all about money. Tesla shouldn't be surprised by the rules of the game. And the rules are pretty clear.

Regarding the admission of wrongdoing: there will not be any admission of wrongdoing, because that's one of the conditions of the settlement. Had Tesla and Musk not settled, there would have been a suit. I don't see the point of your statement.

Reactions: P85_DA
I hate to break it to you, but Wall Street is all about money. Tesla shouldn't be surprised by the rules of the game. And the rules are pretty clear.

Regarding the admission of wrongdoing: there will not be any admission of wrongdoing, because that's one of the conditions of the settlement. Had Tesla and Musk not settled, there would have been a suit. I don't see the point of your statement.

What are you saying?

I just stated....clearly...….Its all about money.

Then you stated: I hate to break it to you....but Wall Street is all about money.

I also stated: There will never be an admission of any wrongdoing.

Then you stated: There will never be an admission...…..

Really?

Reactions: mos6507
Uh did you actually read the article?

Quote from only the *second* paragraph: "After the S.E.C. responded by accusing Mr. Musk, but not the company that he had co-founded, of securities fraud..."

Which is in line with what you said. I don't see any inaccuracies with respect to any details that is first reported in the article. Do you have any evidence otherwise?

The article is crap...…

Why is it important to talk about crap or justify anything using crap?