Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Musk: V10 wide release "hopefully end of august" after early access

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We're still waiting for verification on whether the LATEST map update has fixed the 99 tunnel issue.

I haven't seen anything definitive. It also seems like we're getting more map updates. Tesla recently (as like within a year or so) switched maps. So I expect the maps issue to get better.

It's still a lot better than having to pay for a DVD to update the navigation.

Agreed. I'm still waiting for Tesla to download the latest maps to my M3... Nav DVD's - I don't think anyone sells cars these days with a DVD Nav system, do they? Even our 2016 Subaru is a flash memory card...

Based on nav system rev levels, it appears Tesla updates the nav maps 1-2 times per year, or about the same as others.

I’ll let S4WRXTTCS correct you here:

It's a heck of a lot more than 1-2 updates a year as I've already had that many during the summer alone.

Also, many of the Tesla over the air updates are to fix bugs, some include UI changes (like I received on the Subaru) and fewer provide new features, like Beach Buggy 2, etc.

I agree they do tons more with software updates than any other manufacturer. :) I have received more new features on this car since I got it in March than every other car I’ve had combined. And 2 of those previous cars were 2017 model year, so not even old! I was counting the updates at one point but have lost count as they are so frequent.

A lot more than games too. Many truly useful features: sentry/teslacam, increased power, faster supercharging, battery on route just to name a few.

Agreed. I'm still waiting for Tesla to download the latest maps to my M3... Nav DVD's - I don't think anyone sells cars these days with a DVD Nav system, do they? Even our 2016 Subaru is a flash memory card...

I think I'll be forever scar'd from my experience upgrading my 2012 Jeep Wrangler Navigational Maps.

Buy the DVD
Try to update only to have it tell me the VIN isn't set in the nav
At a service appointment I ask them to set the VIN for the Nav/Radio/etc
They tell me it's already set
I try again

I never did get it updated.

Now I do wish Tesla had a check now button for Navigation updates. The reason is Navigation updates require you to be connected to Wifi since they're so large. I do have wifi at my house, but lots of apartment dwellers don't. So it would be nice for them to check for Nav updates while at a Coffee shop or elsewhere with Wifi.

I get that. The thing is that many of the features that people are requesting like rear cross traffic alert are L1 features. Folks seem to want Tesla to focus on adding all the L1 features they like. These folks don't seem to care about FSD because they are perfectly happy with a L1 car that helps them drive. But Tesla is aiming for full autonomy, L3+. Implementing those "old" features would be looking backward instead of forward. I don't want Tesla to look backwards to L1 features. I want Tesla to devote all their energy to getting to FSD as soon as possible. I don't want a L1 car, I want a L3+ car! Hopefully, this explains where I am coming from.

We all want an L3+ car. But, if you look at Tesla's history of promises and Mr. Musk's tweets and timelines, you would understand that for a majority of current owners, that is not likely ever going to happen during the lifetime of our current vehicles. But we are still driving among other vehicles, still using texts, etc. now. So, while we wait for what hopefully will be an amazing L3+ experience sometime in the distant future, most of us feel it would be nice to be able to have all the currently available proven technologies found throughout the industry today, on a car we use now. Our vehicles still have steering wheels, a feature found in autos from the early 19th century, so I don't think asking for a few early 21st century conveniences and safety features while we wait for L3+ functionality is too much to ask of Tesla.

Reactions: jebinc
We all want an L3+ car. But, if you look at Tesla's history of promises and Mr. Musk's tweets and timelines, you would understand that for a majority of current owners, that is not likely ever going to happen during the lifetime of our current vehicles. But we are still driving among other vehicles, still using texts, etc. now. So, while we wait for what hopefully will be an amazing L3+ experience sometime in the distant future, most of us feel it would be nice to be able to have all the currently available proven technologies found throughout the industry today, on a car we use now. Our vehicles still have steering wheels, a feature found in autos from the early 19th century, so I don't think asking for a few early 21st century conveniences and safety features while we wait for L3+ functionality is too much to ask of Tesla.

I hear you. I am just trying to caution you guys that it probably won't happen the way you want. Tesla is not going to simply copy what other auto makers have already done. For example, Tesla has already done blind spot monitoring but they did it differently. They did not do the little blinkers in the side mirrors like other auto makers. Tesla will implement these safety features just their own way.

Reactions: pilotSteve
For us AP1 people, they just silently removed that item from the feature list, without telling current owners. I guess that's a kind of implementation. :)

Not sure what you are talking about. I am referring to AP2 cars that both show a red car in your blind spot on the screen and also turn the lane line red to indicate when a lane change is not safe.

Not sure what you are talking about. I am referring to AP2 cars that both show a red car in your blind spot on the screen and also turn the lane line red to indicate when a lane change is not safe.

BSM operates differently in cars other than Tesla. When a car approaches in your blind spot when you are driving a car other than a Tesla that has BSM, it usually indicates there is a car there by some sort of yellow light in the rear view mirror closest to that offending car. A Tesla does not do this. The only way a Tesla "warns" you of a car in your blind spot or that it is unsafe to change lanes is if you FIRST put on your blinker indicating a lane change. It is THEN that you get a warning that it may not be safe by a red lane line and flashing red car. So in a regular car, you need not make an intention to change lanes apparent by signaling with your blinker in order to have an indication that there is a car in your blind spot.

Reactions: Lobstahz
I think @kavyboy was pointing out that blind-spot monitoring was originally listed as a feature for AP1 but then that feature was silently removed.
BSM operates differently in cars other than Tesla. When a car approaches in your blind spot when you are driving a car other than a Tesla that has BSM, it usually indicates there is a car there by some sort of yellow light in the rear view mirror closest to that offending car. A Tesla does not do this. The only way a Tesla "warns" you of a car in your blind spot or that it is unsafe to change lanes is if you FIRST put on your blinker indicating a lane change. It is THEN that you get a warning that it may not be safe by a red lane line and flashing red car. So in a regular car, you need not make an intention to change lanes apparent by signaling with your blinker in order to have an indication that there is a car in your blind spot.
Seems like it would be a simple enough fix for Tesla to just change the color of cars that are in the "blind" spots to always be red.

So in a regular car, you need not make an intention to change lanes apparent by signaling with your blinker in order to have an indication that there is a car in your blind spot.
How is that better ?

Anyway, I check the cars before putting the blinker.

Getting back on topic - I wonder what exactly will V10 have in terms of stop light & traffic light. Will it just indicate the light/sign or will the car stop as well when on AP. I hope it is the latter - and then, we have to press the accelerator for the car to get back on AP. Will significantly reduce my disengagements.

Getting back on topic - I wonder what exactly will V10 have in terms of stop light & traffic light. Will it just indicate the light/sign or will the car stop as well when on AP. I hope it is the latter - and then, we have to press the accelerator for the car to get back on AP. Will significantly reduce my disengagements.

I am curious about that too. It is worth noting that Musk only promised "better traffic light & stop sign recognition". That could mean a lot of things. We may be jumping the gun if we assume it means the car will stop on its own at red lights and stop signs. It could just mean that the screen will show us traffic lights or that the stop light warning will be more useful. Tesla may take a more incremental approach to make absolutely sure that the feature is safe and reliable. We may not actually get stopping at red lights just yet.

I do agree with you that when AP is able to stop at red lights on its own, that will drastically cut down on the AP disengagements that I have in my daily driving.

Reactions: drift
I do agree with you that when AP is able to stop at red lights on its own, that will drastically cut down on the AP disengagements that I have in my daily driving.
And stop signs.

BTW, I also think it'll improve safety. Most people don't jump traffic lights/stop signs because they don't recognize them - but because they are distracted. This happens to me - may be once or twice a year. So, far no accidents because of that, but would make it safer. Same with rear ending - I've had a couple in the last 2 decades (again because of distraction). These should anyway be stopped by cars - AP or not.

Reactions: diplomat33
I know V9 gave us improved driver display visualizations with showing cars in our blind spots. I wonder if V10 will give us the "FSD" driver display visualizations that we saw in the FSD demo? It would make sense if Tesla is getting ready to release FSD features like traffic light recognition and city NOA that we would also get the corresponding driver display visualizations.

Reactions: pilotSteve
I know V9 gave us improved driver display visualizations with showing cars in our blind spots. I wonder if V10 will give us the "FSD" driver display visualizations that we saw in the FSD demo? It would make sense if Tesla is getting ready to release FSD features like traffic light recognition and city NOA that we would also get the corresponding driver display visualizations.

Like many, I'm looking forward to whatever improvements, bug fixes, or new functions v10 will bring to the community. Ideally, v10 will perfect already released functionality (that that needs improvement), as well as releasing new leading edge functionality (not more games). Time will tell. :)

Not sure if enhanced summon will be wide released at the tail end of V9 or early V10, but it “almost doesn’t suck” now. :rolleyes:

115B230C-D2C6-4384-91E6-63832B90B2AD.jpeg

Tesla should also let a friendly journalist (like insideevs) have the release - instead of us hearing little pieces of info from EA people breaking NDA, we can get proper preview from a journalist.

In principle, I agree. I doubt Tesla will do it though, especially if the features are still buggy which Early Access software tends to be. Tesla does not want some journalist, especially one that is not tech savvy, writing a scathing piece about how "bad" Teslas are.

Perhaps, Tesla could have Elektrek or Teslarati review the features. Those are websites that are tech savvy and knowledgeable about Teslas that would give a fair review.