Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Musk: V10 wide release "hopefully end of august" after early access

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think you may be a bit "off," so this will be my last reply to you. First, the M3 does not have rear traffic ALERT functionality (just a rear camera) - With the Subaru, the ALERT occurs before the offending vehicles show up in the rear camera.... Subaru's LKA works on most roads and provides added safety while YOU DRIVE. With Tesla Autosteer, you have to forgo driving AND autosteer works on far less roads than the Subaru LKA functionality (again you may want to scan the thread I attached in my original post). Re Automatic braking - Well, let me tell you what it means... when backing up, if there is something behind you that you can't (or can) see, and you're about to hit it, the car will "auto brake" - preventing the collision. And re your closing NVA defensive comment, "Basically, it sounds like you just want Tesla to do things the same way Subaru does things." - Just another fanboy being just that (a fanboy), and not recognizing that Telsa could possibly be behind in some areas. Have a great day! :)

To me its simply the difference between a company who is focused on the human doing the driving (Subaru), and a company focused on the car doing the driving (Tesla).

That means some things are superior on the Subaru, and some things are superior on the Model 3.

Of that list the only thing I really wish Tesla had was rear cross traffic alert. I don't see any reason they couldn't implement this with a combination of the ultrasonics and rear facing cameras. My Jeep Wrangler has this, and I think it's a really helpful feature.

Now that's just my view. My mom really cared about the other features you listed. It's part of why she has a Subaru.

I just don't expect Tesla to implement manual driving features when so much of the car price is within the FSD package. Tesla's focus seems to be on features with the FSD package, and on silliness (games). I think it's cause the games are cheap/easy.

Reactions: diplomat33
I love my Teslas, but even a fanboy should realize if a company wants to promote it's products as the latest / greatest in forward thinking technology, it baseline should include all (or most) of the existing technology already out there in competitive products. Even more so if those features are available in products for many years, selling a a fraction of the price, and shown to be useful to the consumer.

Regardless of safety regulations or common sense, most of us have texted or been distracted doing manual things that are easily done with voice activated technology that has existed for years in vehicles - put that tech in my Tesla, and those who don't care don't have to avail themselves of it.

Safety features should be a no-brainer for a company selling what many consider among the safest vehicles ever produced. We should be OK missing other easily adapted proven safety features, long available in other vehicles, just because ours are safe ? I think not.

Put in a heads up display. HUD technology seems particularly suitable to a vehicle with no buttons, to avoid distraction when trying to see blind spot issues, warning lights, etc., and help you to keep you eyes directly on the road. This is an issue with my model S, but even more so on my Model 3 - leaning over to check the lanes, or trying to set the temp or fans is a major distraction with a center mounted touchscreen display.

Voice commands are already in the vehicle - so why not make it a priority to be able to access ALL functions that way ? I'd take temperature / fan changes over an Atari game, if that is what it takes.

I love driving my Teslas, and absolutely prefer either one over almost any rental / loaner vehicle I've had; but it does annoy me any time I can utilize a simple tech feature in a 20k Kia or Honda that I can't access in my substantially more expensive and tech-laden Tesla.

Please fix that, Mr. Musk.

The issue with this is most of them are hardware related things, and those aren't fixable in SW.

Like this is my list

360 degree down facing camera to make parking easy, and seeing curbs
Blind Spot monitoring where it belongs (in the mirrors)
Heated Steering Wheel (even my Jeep has this)
HUD would be extremely useful in this car

I could care less about voice commands.

Waypoints

Considering that the Model S has been out since 2012/2013 I think we can safely give up on waypoints. It's basically been 6+ years of people asking for waypoints.

Or maybe the entire Tesla community should have a waypoint day where every single twitter post to Elon is asking for waypoints. It will be like invade Area 51 day, but for waypoints.

Agreed - Most are looking for Tesla to be ahead of others, including Subaru; especially on basic safety features/functionality (since Telsa's goal is FSD). Given this FSD goal, a "reasonable person" would expect Tesla pre-FSD functionality to be superior, and not inferior (or missing altogether) to long-existing capability offered by the automotive OEM's Telsa hopes to eclipse.

EDIT: And I supported Tesla by buying the $6000 FSD option...

You compare your Subaru to the Tesla but let me ask, when will your Subaru have NoA? I think we're forgetting the fact that before Tesla the car you purchased was the car you had until you sold it, no changes no updates no nothing new. Lets just appreciate the car for what it is - revolutionary. With that fact your Subaru is NOT in the same class. If you want to see something new then I suggest your use Elon's twitter feed as he seems to read those.

Reactions: EinSV
You compare your Subaru to the Tesla but let me ask, when will your Subaru have NoA? I think we're forgetting the fact that before Tesla the car you purchased was the car you had until you sold it, no changes no updates no nothing new. Lets just appreciate the car for what it is - revolutionary. With that fact your Subaru is NOT in the same class. If you want to see something new then I suggest your use Elon's twitter feed as he seems to read those.

I doubt Subaru will have NoA any time soon. I can say that I don't plan on spending 100% time, while in my Tesla, letting it drive (in NoA or Autopilot mode) as I like driving 75% of the time. In these instances (75% of the time), "basic" safety features as mentioned early would be nice, no? That is, unless you're another "all or nothing" type driver.

The issue with this is most of them are hardware related things, and those aren't fixable in SW.

Like this is my list

360 degree down facing camera to make parking easy, and seeing curbs
Blind Spot monitoring where it belongs (in the mirrors)
Heated Steering Wheel (even my Jeep has this)
HUD would be extremely useful in this car

I could care less about voice commands.

I'd add rear cross traffic alerts to the list too.

I can't understand how/who decided they don't need some of these features which are available in basically ALL other 'luxury' cars.

Reactions: jebinc
I doubt Subaru will have NoA any time soon. I can say that I don't plan on spending 100% time, while in my Tesla, letting it drive (in NoA or Autopilot mode) as I like driving 75% of the time. In these instances (75% of the time), "basic" safety features as mentioned early would be nice, no? That is, unless you're another "all or nothing" type driver.

You missed my point... Basic safety features depends on what car you purchased and in which year. I own 5 cars and each has it's own set of features and/or safety features but which of those cars has the capability to adapt or change over time, that's easy to answer, my Tesla. What other car offers that?

Reactions: Scott7
You missed my point... Basic safety features depends on what car you purchased and in which year. I own 5 cars and each has it's own set of features and/or safety features but which of those cars has the capability to adapt or change over time, that's easy to answer, my Tesla. What other car offers that?

Your point is somewhat faire. My Subaru has OtA updates and connects to wifi every time I pull into the garage. The updates are infrequent, however (unlike my M3). Also, I received new HU UI software the last time I took it in for service. I believe this was a software fix that also brought along some UI changes. As for map updates, I get those about once/twice a year (same as Tesla). The first three years are free, then they want to charge you. I believe Tesla will soon be charging for premium connectivity as well. As for the safety features, those are hard-wired to the car purchased, yes. I'm hopeful this reply addresses the "point" you were trying to make earlier. :)

• Disagree
Having a software version change (for example to fix a bug) is not the equivalent of what Tesla does with their updates that add entirely new features that were not even promised at the time the car was purchased. As far as I'm aware, Tesla is still the only one in the industry doing this and IMO it would be unfair to equate those "new feature" updates with traditional bug fixes (which Tesla also does).

My understanding/experience is Tesla map updates are a lot more frequent than twice annually. Of course it depends on the layer of the map in question; Street map tiles, satellite images, or navigation routes can all be updated separately. My Tesla seems to be aware of current road closures whereas my 2017 BMW (with semi-annual, totally manual map updates) always tries to take me through them.

It gets pretty annoying to have a navigation system in a car that doesn't get automatic updates in real-time or at least close to it. It introduces doubt and makes me think about rechecking the in-car nav against my phone if I'm going any significant distances. Road closures are extremely common where I live.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: jebinc
It gets pretty annoying to have a navigation system in a car that doesn't get automatic updates in real-time or at least close to it. It introduces doubt and makes me think about rechecking the in-car nav against my phone if I'm going any significant distances. Road closures are extremely common where I live.

I hear you, and same here in Seattle re road work/closures. All of us Seattle-area Tesla owners have been fuming for a long while that the new 99 tunnel still isn't on the Tesla navigations system, routing via routes no longer even present... there are numerous posts in other threads about this as well. It turns out (based on other member reporting), that Tesla uses a 3rd party for nav routing, and Google Maps elsewhere. Based on nav system rev levels, it appears Tesla updates the nav maps 1-2 times per year, or about the same as others. Also, many of the Tesla over the air updates are to fix bugs, some include UI changes (like I received on the Subaru) and fewer provide new features, like Beach Buggy 2, etc.

• Disagree
I'd add rear cross traffic alerts to the list too.

I can't understand how/who decided they don't need some of these features which are available in basically ALL other 'luxury' cars.

Rear Traffic alert can be done with the existing HW so that's why I didn't include it in my list.

As to why they don't already have it? I have no idea.

I completely agree that rear cross traffic is HIGHLY useful.

Reactions: outdoors
I hear you, and same here in Seattle re road work/closures. All of us Seattle-area Tesla owners have been fuming for a long while that the new 99 tunnel still isn't on the Tesla navigations system, routing via routes no longer even present... there are numerous posts in other threads about this as well. It turns out (based on other member reporting), that Tesla uses a 3rd party for nav routing, and Google Maps elsewhere. Based on nav system rev levels, it appears Tesla updates the nav maps 1-2 times per year, or about the same as others. Also, many of the Tesla over the air updates are to fix bugs, some include UI changes (like I received on the Subaru) and fewer provide new features, like Beach Buggy 2, etc.

We're still waiting for verification on whether the LATEST map update has fixed the 99 tunnel issue.

I haven't seen anything definitive. It also seems like we're getting more map updates. Tesla recently (as like within a year or so) switched map vendors. So I expect the maps issue to get better. The other good change was they finally added map versions to the UI so people can see what version they have. It's a heck of a lot more than 1-2 updates a year as I've already had that many during the summer alone. It used to be 1-2 a year with the old system so you're correct historically.

Here is a link that discusses a bit about the map change that happened last year.
Tesla's highly-anticipated new navigation and maps engine is coming this weekend, says Elon Musk - Electrek

What I'm curious about is the best way to get something updated/fixed. I discovered only recently that with Apple Maps it was really easy to report something, and to have it fixed in short order. If I had known it was that easy I wouldn't have gotten so mad every time it screwed up. Apple maps tends to be plagued with an issue where an address will show up in the wrong spot often blocks away from where it's supposed to be.

Hopefully it's that easy with OpenMaps or whatever is the under the hood of the Mapbox that Tesla uses.

Last edited: