TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Must wrap areas on MX

Discussion in 'Model X: Interior & Exterior' started by bairesman, Jun 5, 2018.

1. bairesman

bairesman Member

Hi there, looking for recommendations on must-wrap areas on the Model X. I know it will be nice to wrap the entire car but I am looking for insight on those areas that suffer the most. Like the front of the car, I saw a post about the falcon door panels as they seem to get chipped by rocks thrown by the front wheels.
    Thanks in advance, Martin

2. jtdiddy

jtdiddy Member

all of the front obviously including lights and mirrors. I would go full hood too.

i was on the fence on wrapping the doors but in the end i chose to protect those too.

i only got partial fender wrap however.

• Like x 1
  3. Jayrod

Jayrod Member

What Jtdidy said. Do a full front and decide if you want to do the rest. Really is up to you. On other vehicles where I did just the front, I would end up getting a rock chip near the back and with my OCD I couldn't handle it. I do full cover now and pay the extra for my piece of mind. Cleaning is drastically reduced as is swirls, scratches etc.

4. GOPJEW

GOPJEW Member

I do full body wraps - if you are going to do front end, and then maybe front doors, why not protect back doors from dings/chips from other cars? And then, why not rear quarter panels? Just like @Jayrod - it just gets easier to clean and if you are spending some, spend it all and get it all done.

• Like x 2
  5. bairesman

bairesman Member

You guys are a bad influence... :D

6. Jayrod

Jayrod Member

It just depends on how much maintenance you can do in combination with your OCD. Doing a full wrap kills 99% of your issues and most films are self healing so all of the spider webs, smudges etc are not going to be an issue.

• Like x 1
  7. GOPJEW

GOPJEW Member

You've been talking with my wife...

• Funny x 2
  8. bairesman

bairesman Member

That is the same thing my wife says, I know the argument... :D

9. Jayrod

Jayrod Member

But to be totally honest with you. Wrap the thing. You may keep it 5 years or maybe not but, that thing will look awesome the entire time you have it. Some people say just repaint it but, I am not about that game. Especially when Tesla has several difficult colors to blend.

10. aesculus

aesculus Still Trying to Figure This All Out

FWIW I have a full wrap. Most of my rock "events" that have even cut through the wrap are on the first part of the hood. I would definitely go for the front facia, hood and mirrors. Everything else is extra unless you are totally OCD like me.

• Like x 1
  11. bairesman

bairesman Member

Understand your point, in my discussions with one of the vendors he said the roof is one of those areas that I could probably cut. The purpose of this post was to get some real experiences like the ones you guys shared. I know by Murphy's law rocks will be attracted towards the area without protection, that is a fact :). My initial thought was to do the complete front fascia, hood and mirrors and potentially part of the doors. I will review the cost/reward of all options and share my findings for anybody interested.

Once again, thank to all who responded for your feedback

12. bairesman

bairesman Member

I am totally OCD as well... That being said I have a 2016 BMW M4 without any protection at all, now that is primarily my car while this will be the family car which means it will be exposed to a lot more things.

13. P85_DA

P85_DA Supporting Member

I did full front on the X and Ceramic coated rest of car including windows for less than some shops charge for just a front wrap in SoCal :)..so definitely shop around ..im using STEK and opticoat ...I had previously full wrapped P85+ and P85D using Suntek and expel and found it is not really needed

14. Yinn

Yinn Active Member

Front bumper and hood are definitely good for rock chips. But don’t discount the doors. This shows you the spray pattern from driving an X.

[​IMG]

I’d recommend a full wrap, but if you wanted to save some money I’d pick the rear hatch, quarters, and rear bumper. But definitely do the doors.

15. P85_DA

P85_DA Supporting Member

16. Yinn

Yinn Active Member

Hmm. Odd, shows up for me. 2nd try.

D0871B1A-7190-4369-B36A-57A1D0365536.jpeg

17. P85_DA

P85_DA Supporting Member

Thanks ...ok I don’t get weather like that where I’m at :oops:

• Funny x 1
  18. Jayrod

Jayrod Member

Full wrap works wonders on an X. It’s expensive but I’m so OCD it’s worth it lol

• Like x 1
  19. Yinn

Yinn Active Member

Just rub it in! Weather like that or not though, that would be the approximate pattern of where your tires can throw up debris, rocks, etc.

I’d recommend all four doors in addition to the front bumper, fenders, and good. The doors are even more important than the fenders.

20. Jayrod

Jayrod Member

Exactly the spray pattern is pretty crazy. I’m a full wrap guy forever lol.