Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MUSTART Level 2 Portable EV Charger (240 Volt, 25ft Cable, 26 Amp), Electric Vehicle Charger Plug-in

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A quick Google and I can't find any third party certifications on it. I'm also a bit suspicious that the description only seems to rate the connector's water rating.

The Tesla Mobile Connector is cheaper so unless you need a J1772 cable I'd prefer the Tesla one.

• Informative
Reactions: SSedan
I rented a tesla with turo back in October, and the owner of the vehicle, included the UMC w/ 120v15a adapter and also the 14-50 adapter; and then in a separate net type bag, was the Mustart 30a charger, which had a 14-50 plug on the other end. I'm not quite sure why it was in the car... the person who i rented the car from didn't seem to actually drive it all that much herself since she was often on business trips out of the country.

but it was nice to have as a backup I guess, provided wherever you were going had a 14-50 plug.

Thanks guys - I was considering it because of the longer cord (25ft vs 20 on the Tesla mobile) and the ability to charge other EVs at home if needed. The Tesla one is also out of stock ;)

One of the images on the Amazon page shows that the brick-to-plug distance is 22 feet, the brick-to-NEMA-14-50 distance is 3 feet, and the brick itself is 8.9 inches. I'm not sure offhand how Tesla measures its cable length. It's typical to measure this from the brick to the plug, I think. If that's what Tesla's done, then the cable length difference may be a little less than you're expecting, depending on how you'd want to place the brick.

Thanks guys - I was considering it because of the longer cord (25ft vs 20 on the Tesla mobile) and the ability to charge other EVs at home if needed. The Tesla one is also out of stock ;)
I'd wait for the Tesla UMC, you've already got one, so should be no rush.
Most other vehicles can support the NEMA 14-50, so supporting the J-1772 doesn't really but much. The J-1772 plug also requires you to get another J-1772 adapter. While I wouldn't mind travelling around without a UMC in the trunk, I wouldn't want to travel without the J-1772 adapter in the car.

Most other vehicles can support the NEMA 14-50, so supporting the J-1772 doesn't really but much.

AFAIK, no production vehicle supports NEMA 14-50 directly; they all require an EVSE (such as Tesla's Mobile Connector) to plug into a wall outlet of any sort. At the moment, most non-Tesla vehicles come with EVSEs that have NEMA 5-15 plugs hard-wired to them, so they can be used only on 120v outlets. (Chevy's current EVSE is actually capable of handling 240v, but that requires a very non-standard adapter. My understanding is that most other EVSEs provided with cars contain at least some internal wiring or circuitry that's incapable of handling 240v.) A few automakers are beginning to provide 240v-capable EVSEs with at least some of their cars, but in terms of automakers or models, they're still in the minority, the last I heard. I saw an article comparing the EVSEs that come with production cars a while ago, but I can't seem to track it down now.

Of course, any given EV owner might have purchased a third-party 240v EVSE with a NEMA 14-50 plug, but you can't count on this being the case, if the point is to provide charging to guests. For that, a J1772 EVSE is the best choice, although a Tesla EVSE, such as the Mobile Connector that comes with the car or the $500 Wall Connector, along with a JDapter or something similar would also work.

Overall, it's hard to say what will work best for @pfalor, since there are too many unknown variables, like why a second EVSE is desired in the first place, what other car(s) might be charging, what third-party EVSE(s) the owner(s) of those car(s) might have, whether increased Tesla charging speed might be desired, what sort of budget is available for this second EVSE, etc.

Reactions: pfalor
AFAIK, no production vehicle supports NEMA 14-50 directly; they all require an EVSE (such as Tesla's Mobile Connector) to plug into a wall outlet of any sort. At the moment, most non-Tesla vehicles come with EVSEs that have NEMA 5-15 plugs hard-wired to them, so they can be used only on 120v outlets. (Chevy's current EVSE is actually capable of handling 240v, but that requires a very non-standard adapter. My understanding is that most other EVSEs provided with cars contain at least some internal wiring or circuitry that's incapable of handling 240v.) A few automakers are beginning to provide 240v-capable EVSEs with at least some of their cars, but in terms of automakers or models, they're still in the minority, the last I heard. I saw an article comparing the EVSEs that come with production cars a while ago, but I can't seem to track it down now.

Of course, any given EV owner might have purchased a third-party 240v EVSE with a NEMA 14-50 plug, but you can't count on this being the case, if the point is to provide charging to guests. For that, a J1772 EVSE is the best choice, although a Tesla EVSE, such as the Mobile Connector that comes with the car or the $500 Wall Connector, along with a JDapter or something similar would also work.

Overall, it's hard to say what will work best for @pfalor, since there are too many unknown variables, like why a second EVSE is desired in the first place, what other car(s) might be charging, what third-party EVSE(s) the owner(s) of those car(s) might have, whether increased Tesla charging speed might be desired, what sort of budget is available for this second EVSE, etc.

You are correct, no car supports the NEMA 14-50 directly. That's because effectively ALL EVs require a EVSE. It's really a nonsensical statement.

Most all EVSEs support both 120V and 240V charging. The NEMA 14-50 is the defacto standard for 240V charging.
So, assuming that other EVs travel with their EVSE, they will tend to support 120V and NEMA 14-50 charging.

So, I completely standby my statement, I've had two Leafs, so I have a little experience.

Most all EVSEs support both 120V and 240V charging.

That may be true of the world of all EVSEs (OEM and third-party); but in terms of the EVSEs that come with cars, I disagree. I found the article I referred to above; it specifies:
  • Tesla Gen2 -- 120v/240v via adapters
  • Chevy Bolt -- Fixed NEMA 5-15 for 120v only (but see above -- can be hacked via an adapter)
  • Nissan Leaf S & SV -- Fixed NEMA 5-15 for 120v only
  • Nissan Leaf SL & e+ -- NEMA 14-50 (240v) with adapter to use NEMA 5-15 (120v)
  • BMW i3 -- NEMA 5-15 for 120v only
  • BMW Turbocord -- $500 option with NEMA 5-15 120v and NEMA 6-20 240v plugs
  • Audi e-Tron & Porsche Taycan -- NEMA 5-15 120v and NEMA 14-50 240v
  • Jaguar iPace -- NEMA 5-15 120v only (10A max, apparently)
  • Hyundai Kona & Ioniq -- NEMA 5-15 120v only
In terms of EVSEs that actually come with cars (thus, excluding the optional BMW Turbocord), that makes 3 that can do 240v and 5 that can't, at least officially. As I noted earlier, the GM EVSE can handle 240v via a very non-standard adapter. It's conceivable that some of the others can, too, but I have no solid information on that. VW's next-generation EVSE is supposed to be quite capable, but those vehicles aren't on the road yet. I think I heard that Ford's Mustang Mach-E is supposed to come with a good 240v-capable EVSE, too, but again, it's not yet available. Thus, the situation is improving, but right now, there are still a lot of EVs that ship with EVSEs that can handle nothing better than 120v.

So, I completely standby my statement, I've had two Leafs, so I have a little experience.

Yeah, and I drove a Volt, which uses the same EVSE as the Bolt -- that's how I know it can be hacked to deliver 240v at 12A via an adapter. Apparently neither of us has driven any of the other cars mentioned above -- but the article I mentioned provides details about them, and they do not look good for charging a random model EV on its stock EVSE using a NEMA 14-50 outlet. That said, Tesla is dominating EV sales in the US, and a lot of the rest are Leafs, so for a random EV (not EV model), the odds are much better.