Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MX Envy

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This week I stopped off at a SC in Rancho Cucamonga CA. Nice place. The SC was pretty full but a spot was open and I got comfortable. After a few minutes a spot a few spaces down opened up and a M3 slipped into the niche. I had not seen one up close so I decided to check it out. As approached, I saw the middle aged owner trying to figure out how to connect the SC. That and the telltale paper registration said that this was brand new. He had got it only 3 days earlier. By this time the crew emptied the M3. The middle aged man plus a mom--his daughter I assume and a couple of teenagers. I asked how the liked the car. "pretty good, the owner said. A little tight in the back. We chatted and I congratulated them on their purchase. I went mack to my MX to check and my doggy and opened up the FWD. About this time the M3 family passed me on the way to get something to eat. "Wow", the mom exclaimed. The teens said "cool". Then I realized they had never seen an X. As I walked to the front the self-presenting door opened while I closed he back hatch with the fob. "Gramps look at that!" The teens asked if they could try the seats and I said sure. The Mom keep cooing over the white interior. The M3 owner asked how much my charge would cost. I said "I really don't know--the MX comes with free lifetime supercharging. The teens said "Why didn't you buy this one gramps?"--He said that her really didn't check out the other models-- he was told that the M3 was the latest and greatest thing. I was embarrassed, but I could tell that everyone really liked the MX --in comparison. The teens talked about how easy it was to get in and out and how roomy the passenger seating etc. They thanked me for showing them the MX and left on their way. Two things--1. Lost in the M3 hype is how truly special is the MX and 2. A lot of M3 new buyers are not really as plugged into the Tesla world as the MS, MX early adopters. Moral of the story--If you want to make M3 new buyers happy--DO NOT show them your MX.