Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to confirm if this 2016 MX includes FSD?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm just about ready to close on my first MX (2016) and the current owner insists FSD is included. I'm 3 hours away, so before the roadtrip I'd really to confirm - the screens he shared (attached below) don't seem to indicate that its an "included package" from what I've seen on existing posts/wikis. Anything else I can ask to see to confirm either way?

Thank you!

Attachments

• add.jpg
    add.jpg
    385.6 KB · Views: 158
  • software.jpg
    software.jpg
    436.6 KB · Views: 125
The vehicle software is 2022.8.10.16 which is for MCU1 vehicles. It does look like the owner has purchased FSD in that MCU1 vehicles did not come with "FSD Computer," and typically the hardware retrofit is only for those who purchased the software. However, that version of software does not support FSD Beta for using Autopilot on city streets (but does have other FSD features). It could be that other hardware like the cameras have not been retrofitted, or even if the cameras are newer, Tesla hasn't been adding many MCU1 vehicles to FSD Beta since the original batch getting it with 2022.8.10.10 December 31st last year.

Short answer is it does seem like FSD Capability was purchased, but it currently does not have the software that enables everything.

If you do want city streets driving functionality with this vehicle, you could pay Tesla to upgrade MCU1 to MCU2, and some people have done that even without FSD as it speeds up interactions with the touchscreen, etc.

Reactions: El joe
The vehicle software is 2022.8.10.16 which is for MCU1 vehicles. It does look like the owner has purchased FSD in that MCU1 vehicles did not come with "FSD Computer," and typically the hardware retrofit is only for those who purchased the software. However, that version of software does not support FSD Beta for using Autopilot on city streets (but does have other FSD features). It could be that other hardware like the cameras have not been retrofitted, or even if the cameras are newer, Tesla hasn't been adding many MCU1 vehicles to FSD Beta since the original batch getting it with 2022.8.10.10 December 31st last year.

Short answer is it does seem like FSD Capability was purchased, but it currently does not have the software that enables everything.

If you do want city streets driving functionality with this vehicle, you could pay Tesla to upgrade MCU1 to MCU2, and some people have done that even without FSD as it speeds up interactions with the touchscreen, etc.
Thank you, extremely helpful. Getting the upgrade to MCU2 definitely seems worthwhile and maybe/should get upgraded for free?

Uncertain Participation in FSD Beta and Updates
A Tesla with MCU1 needs both a hardware and MCU upgrade to get the latest and greatest software updates for FSD Beta. At the present time, we aren’t aware of any MCU1 Teslas that have been invited to the Beta test.

Even if a previous owner purchased FSD on the promise of feature-complete software later, some of the hardware on your Tesla, while it should be upgraded for free if it’s AP 2.0 or AP 2.5, needs a service center visit to get it ready.

Planning on waiting to see if a feature-complete version of FSD comes out that’s compatible with the MCU1? It might be a while; the eventual fate of MCU1 Teslas with paid FSD, even with upgraded hardware, is still unclear.

If you buy this car, best advice is get a copy of the FSD purchase from the seller. If FSD ever disappears from the car, legitimately or otherwise, you’ll need that receipt.

Before you drive three hours, ask them to open their app, click upgrades, click software upgrades, then manage. Have them send you a screen shot. The screen should look like this…

IMG_6366.png

Don’t be fooled into thinking that because it has an FSD computer that it has a license for FSD. All cars post HW1 came with an FSD computer, even the MCU1 cars.

Last edited:
@sjalbert I agree that this is suspicious that FSD Capability is not listed. I also find it odd that Premium Connectivity is not listed. It leads me to believe that this is not the original owner and Tesla has owned the car some time as a used car, and may have stripped the car of both of these. So it could have gotten the FSD computer hardware update but no longer has the important part, the software package. Another possibility is that the FSD computer upgrade can be purchased separately for $1k. That could have been done, but I think it is rare. (I disagree with @Krash… it would not have come with the FSD computer. That didn’t happen until HW3. Both of my HW2.5 cars had the FSD computer retrofit done when that became available in 2020.)

For whatever it is worth, this is what my main software screen looks like, with FSD.
IMG_5020.jpeg

You say this is a 2016 Model X? That was the first year they were made (I had one). They came with some basic autopilot software/hardware from MobileEye. They did have auto steering capability, but did not have the side and repeater cameras — just the front cameras and radar.

• Disagree
Reactions: Krash
You say this is a 2016 Model X? That was the first year they were made (I had one). They came with some basic autopilot software/hardware from MobileEye. They did have auto steering capability, but did not have the side and repeater cameras — just the front cameras and radar.
2016 is when FSD(hardware) known as hardware 2 was released. Cars produced in the later part of the year are capable of having FSD. My 2016 model X has FSD. I did purchase the upgrade to MCU2 and have had the camera upgrade done as well.

As for the car in question the included screenshots would not indicate one way or another if FSD is enabled on that car. If you can get a screenshot of the specs page it would indicate what options are on the car including things like FSD as well as free premium connectivity and unlimited supercharging.

..,I disagree with @Krash… it would not have come with the FSD computer…
We may be talking about different things here. Or I may be using the wrong term. I actually don’t know what the screen says for a never upgraded 2016 or early 2017 HW2 or 2017 HW2.5 car, but it definitely came with an FSD computer, just not the latest HW3 computer.

To recap for everyone else, a 2016 car can have HW1 or if it were built in the fourth quarter, HW2. Only the latter will ever get FSD. FSD is not currently shipping, but some cars have received FSD beta. In order to currently get FSD beta, and eventually get FSD for a fourth quarter 2016 car, you will need the following:
  1. a software license for it.
  2. the latest HW3 FSD computer upgrade.
  3. retrofitted cameras (from RCCC to RCCB).
  4. to have selected to opt into the beta.
  5. to be selected in return by Tesla and have Tesla push a firmware update with FSD to you.
To make things more complicated, if you currently have the original MCU1 and have not upgrade to MCU2, you will be told that you are getting FSD beta but at the moment it is not going out your MCU1 car, for whatever reason. Lastly, unlike mid 2017 cars, your car does not have the interior facing camera or the wiring for it. So if at any point that becomes a requirement for beta or final version you may get delayed, a refund and or a retrofit.

Last edited:
I agree it had a computer meant to be good enough for FSD, but it wasn’t. And then Tesla didn’t name it “FSD computer” until HW3.
Funny. I didn’t know Tesla called HW3 the “FSD computer”.

HW3 most certainly isn’t good enough for L4/L5/robotaxi but it may very well be the best we get. Probably too expensive to die shrink HW4 or 5 later and shoehorn into the HW3 sized package to work with the lower res cameras, but a boy can dream.

If FSD is important to you, don’t get this car. It does not have FSD purchased.
You could subscribe or purchase it though, and you would need to get the cameras updated and really really should get MCU2.
At that point , you’ll regret not getting a new Y

IMO, I would rather get a 2024 Model Y with HW4 than a 2016 Model X with 60,000 miles, especially if you can get the $7,500 IRA discount.

Note: About knowing if FSD is working or not, I would ask to get a picture of the screen with the blue steering wheel icon on.

FSD Engaged .jpg FSD Navigation Engaged .jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: brkaus
IMO, I would rather get a 2024 Model Y with HW4 than a 2016 Model X with 60,000 miles, especially if you can get the $7,500 IRA discount.

Note: About knowing if FSD is working or not, I would ask to get a picture of the screen with the blue steering wheel icon on.

View attachment 981044 View attachment 981045

Hrmm. If you have the blue steering wheel icon anywhere on a screen (on a Model X that would be on the instrument cluster screen directly in front of the driver), that indicates that auto-steering is active (so the car has at least basic Autopilot), but it doesn't say anything about whether the car has FSD. It could for example have EAP, but not FSD.

Also to OP: The screens would look somewhat different from those in the post above because those are from a Model 3 or Model Y, which has a different screen configuration and UI than the Model X you're considering.

Bruce.

• Informative
Reactions: Avatempest
Really appreciate everyone's comments, as a follow up I ended up passing on the road trip and just signed the papers on a 2017 that still has Tesla used car warranty, confirmed full FSD with MCU2 upgrade done, loaded (cold weather, high fidelity audio, premium package, etc), for a lower final price.

I believe @Mardak was right on in his first reply with what was going on - the subscription was paid for, but the software was stuck with the MCU1. I was able to get this shot (attached) with FSD beta request and certain features enabled but essentially in limbo without the MCU2.

Reactions: bmah and Bigriver
Really appreciate everyone's comments, as a follow up I ended up passing on the road trip and just signed the papers on a 2017 that still has Tesla used car warranty, confirmed full FSD with MCU2 upgrade done, loaded (cold weather, high fidelity audio, premium package, etc), for a lower final price.

I believe @Mardak was right on in his first reply with what was going on - the subscription was paid for, but the software was stuck with the MCU1. I was able to get this shot (attached) with FSD beta request and certain features enabled but essentially in limbo without the MCU2.
Sorry - forgot to add screenshot...

Attachments

• t3.jpg
    t3.jpg
    304.3 KB · Views: 69