Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MX Raven - average wh/mi

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2019 pre Raven 100D in chill mode gets like 450-480 wh/mi.

My AC is on all the time, and I do live on a mild hill, but the downhill doesn't seem to offset the uphill. If I drive down the hill to the local city driving for a bit (meaning no uphills) I only drop to like 380.

Is there something wrong?

Driving conditions and length of drive can make a huge difference, so it's hard to say for certain.

Do a round trip loop of at least fifty miles on a freeway somewhere at 60 mph or so and see what it looks like. If that doesn't come down to 300 Wh per mile or less, there's probably a problem.

• Love
Reactions: Vm.one
My 2019 pre Raven 100D in chill mode gets like 450-480 wh/mi.

My AC is on all the time, and I do live on a mild hill, but the downhill doesn't seem to offset the uphill. If I drive down the hill to the local city driving for a bit (meaning no uphills) I only drop to like 380.

Is there something wrong?

Yes, you’re having too much fun ;)

How many miles? Estimation of local vs to freeway in percentage? Typical miles drive. At a time between start and park. Avg temp? And avg speed on the highways?

I’ve tested mine extensively and here’s what I found..Tesla’s base miles and wh/mi calculation is accurate. But there are a lot of factors.

1) On OEM 20s, my average consumption has been 375ish. 30% local driving, 70% highway.

2) If temp stays at 70 and I turn AC off, it drops to around 320. If it gets warm, it spikes to about 400-500 on initial “warm up”

3) If temp drops to 40 or below, it spikes above 400- around 410/420. 600-800 on “warm up” drops back down 360 if I turn heat off.

4) Tow a trailer, and it spikes roughly 1.5-2x to 500-750wh/mi.

5) Move for OEM 22s and it will increase consumption from 8-12%

Here’s the single biggest variable. Your right foot. Regardless of the above, there is a roughly 100 wh/mi difference based your driving style. I’ve found “Range Mode” to do very little compared to everything else. I will use if if I’m really nervous. But climate and chill mode are the first things I’ll toggle if I need a significant drop.

Even with speeds, terrain, all else staying consistent. The problem is that it’s easy to accelerate and decrease on the Tesla. Give it a little bit a small bit of throttle, and it increases consumption by 10-20wh/mi. Hit it to do a quick pass, and it’ll spike and raise the average by 40-50wh/mi.

They’re big numbers, but small in percentage. That quick pass increases over base consumption roughly 12%. Think about a gas car. Would it be unreasonable to get 25mpg vs 28? Most probably wouldn’t think twice, but that’s 12%.

So how do you know if you’re the problem? Put it in chill mode. It makes it less sensitive to variations. See what you’re getting. If you’re engaging regen a lot, then you’re probably increasing your consumption. Slow and steady moves the needle, it’s just unfortunately boring.

• Love
Reactions: Vm.one
Yes, you’re having too much fun ;)

How many miles? Estimation of local vs to freeway in percentage? Typical miles drive. At a time between start and park. Avg temp? And avg speed on the highways?

I’ve tested mine extensively and here’s what I found..Tesla’s base miles and wh/mi calculation is accurate. But there are a lot of factors.

1) On OEM 20s, my average consumption has been 375ish. 30% local driving, 70% highway.

2) If temp stays at 70 and I turn AC off, it drops to around 320. If it gets warm, it spikes to about 400-500 on initial “warm up”

3) If temp drops to 40 or below, it spikes above 400- around 410/420. 600-800 on “warm up” drops back down 360 if I turn heat off.

4) Tow a trailer, and it spikes roughly 1.5-2x to 500-750wh/mi.

5) Move for OEM 22s and it will increase consumption from 8-12%

Here’s the single biggest variable. Your right foot. Regardless of the above, there is a roughly 100 wh/mi difference based your driving style. I’ve found “Range Mode” to do very little compared to everything else. I will use if if I’m really nervous. But climate and chill mode are the first things I’ll toggle if I need a significant drop.

Even with speeds, terrain, all else staying consistent. The problem is that it’s easy to accelerate and decrease on the Tesla. Give it a little bit a small bit of throttle, and it increases consumption by 10-20wh/mi. Hit it to do a quick pass, and it’ll spike and raise the average by 40-50wh/mi.

They’re big numbers, but small in percentage. That quick pass increases over base consumption roughly 12%. Think about a gas car. Would it be unreasonable to get 25mpg vs 28? Most probably wouldn’t think twice, but that’s 12%.

So how do you know if you’re the problem? Put it in chill mode. It makes it less sensitive to variations. See what you’re getting. If you’re engaging regen a lot, then you’re probably increasing your consumption. Slow and steady moves the needle, it’s just unfortunately boring.

Appreciate the reply. It is on chill mode actually. On 20s. And pedal wise, I drive a model 3 daily that gets 230-240 wh/mi lifetime, which is on the low end for a 3. But that is on a different commute (only referring to pedal enthusiasm, which I'm mostly not).

Most of our driving is two adults and short trips. 3-6 miles, 7-15 minutes. 100% local. It's been warm, around 80-90 degrees.

I suspect it's just that initial temp adjustment plus the small elevation changes here.

Will do what Saghost suggested at some point and see if I can get the rated range.

Appreciate the reply. It is on chill mode actually. On 20s. And pedal wise, I drive a model 3 daily that gets 230-240 wh/mi lifetime, which is on the low end for a 3. But that is on a different commute (only referring to pedal enthusiasm, which I'm mostly not).

Most of our driving is two adults and short trips. 3-6 miles, 7-15 minutes. 100% local. It's been warm, around 80-90 degrees.

I suspect it's just that initial temp adjustment plus the small elevation changes here.

Will do what Saghost suggested at some point and see if I can get the rated range.

Yeah. Those short trips are likely the cause - all the HVAC to cool the cabin and very little steady state to balance it out.

At least you don't have an ICE being killed by never getting up to operating temperature to drive the moisture out of the oil.

The short trips is why your figure is high.

Most of our trips are also sub 10 miles which is why our average readings are 385Wh/mile, but on long runs even in 22s our pre-Raven 75D X will hit about 300-320Wh/mile on a long run on UK roads which is slow.

On 20s I would see sub 300Wh/mile on a long run, in a Raven X I would be disappointed not to see sub 280Wh/mile on 20s on a long run.

48395618882_b0ba25563d_z_d.jpg

I've been driving all over the place, small roads, highways up to 125 km/h, twisty mountain roads, narrow coast roads, in wind, rain and sun with my MXLR.
So for the first 6394.65 km (~4000 miles), I've averaged 207 Wh/km which would be 333 Wh/mi.

I'm actually quite impressed as I haven't been easy on the pedal. It's damn hard to drive efficient when you have that much power waiting to be used.

Edit, typical long distance trips I get 160-180 Wh/km depending on the speed, the above includes a lot of city driving. Driving at 120 km/h (75 mph) lands me a bit north of 200 again so 60-110 km/h seems to be the sweet spot in terms of efficiency.

Yup that’s the culprit as others said. If it’s only 3-6 miles it just doesn’t have enough time to drop back down. Typically I’ll see it start to even out after 10 minutes and 5-10 miles and won’t fully equalize and stay steady for a little more after that.

Do you have the same driving habits on the TM3? Curious to see just how different their battery cooling system is.

Yup that’s the culprit as others said. If it’s only 3-6 miles it just doesn’t have enough time to drop back down. Typically I’ll see it start to even out after 10 minutes and 5-10 miles and won’t fully equalize and stay steady for a little more after that.

Do you have the same driving habits on the TM3? Curious to see just how different their battery cooling system is.

Same habits but that's my work commute car, and this our family car, so can't compare I suppose.

Took a longer 30 mile round trip today and sure enough came down to 320.

You guys were right. That or it's my wife's driving normally...

View attachment 439233
New Tires, flat level ground except over passes. A/C I think set to 72-73 degrees Automatic, a rare moment. Realizing if I went to trip screen I think overall usage would be more. 290 avg driving in an X should be doable in certain circumstances. Tires heated up nicely inflation pressure increased as well all normal.
How do you get the tire pressures to show on the left side of the display like that?

How do you get the tire pressures to show on the left side of the display like that?

Hold the left scroll wheel down for a few seconds, and the left side of the screen will turn into a large icon for what's going to be displayed there, and you can then scroll the wheel to move between the options and click it to select one.

Tire pressures and doors and seat belts are shown in the one labelled car status.

The same thing works on the right side of the screen with the right wheel. For reasons that have never been explained, the Nav map can only be on the left, and the phone can only be on the right, but the rest of the options can be selected for either side. The L+ only "Stats" page also only works on the left I believe.

If you choose the same one that's already in the other side it swaps them (you can't have the same info on both sides.)

Reactions: K2500Z71
A small data point but averaged 340 Wh/mi on an overnight test drive.

Was a Raven performance with 20" wheels. I picked the car up in the afternoon and returned it the next evening. I did not do any launches (tempted!) because I wanted to compare "apples to apples" with our current X. I tried to drive the way I usually do, i.e. not slow but I don't gun it from the stop light either. Main trip was the work commute, about 50% road and 50% freeway.

Subjective stuff, feel free to ignore:
Fit/finish looks same to our 2017 X.
Door latches quieter/quicker
MCU2 just our like 3 but the new X seems just a little slower? E.g. when I unlock the charging cable, the 3 is instantaneous but the new X still has a slight lag (still faster than our 2017 though).
Suspension is much nicer
Looks like the FWD door jamb fix helps with the paint issue (see picture)
I always thought our perforated seats were gimmicky/performed poorly but I actually missed having them (was a hot day)

Door jamb:
jamb.jpg

Battery sticker:
battery.jpg

Front suspension sticker:
raven front suspension.jpg

Rear suspension pic:
raven rear suspension.jpg

Damper:
raven suspension.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: VikH