Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MX17 - FalconWing Door weather stripping deteriorating - Not covered by Warranty

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
can someone post the warrant for 2017 tesla model x prior to them revising warranty to exclude this? my seals also deteriorated and i contacted the SC and they told me this was considered part of the powertrain portion of the warranty. which makes no effing sense to me cause they are obviously not connected to the powertrain. they also refused to replace it despite water leaking and quoted me 2500$ as well. agree with all the others that their customer service is terrible considering the 100k i paid for the car. will try the stuff from amazon listed above as a temporary solution while i burn in anger about tesla customer service again.

Reactions: TSLA Pilot
Hi All,

2017 MX 36k miles... excellent condition...(other than this)
Has anyone else experienced the top edge of the falcon wing doors surrounding the roof glass just deteriorating, cracking, breaking and melting to the underside door frame???
I went to the SC and they said it is not cover under warranty because it is rubber. A $1k each door to fix!!!!

I have included pictures...

Let me know your thoughts. I don't see how this can not be covered. I looked at the new car warranty I see no provision to eliminate this from warranty. Plus I do not use the falcon wing doors that much so it is not a to much usage issue.

Let me know your thoughts. View attachment 440996 View attachment 440998
I had the same problem and the dealer would not cover the cost because they now say it is cosmetic. I then filed a claim with the National Center for Dispute Settlement 866-629-3204. As soon as I filed a complaint, tesla called and said they would cover the repairs. Its just another hoop you have to jump threw to force Tesla to honor their Warranty but it works!

Same issue. March 2017 X 90D. Service Center replaced the glass under warranty. I guess the left side wasn't that bad (yet), so only the right side was replaced.

View attachment 441093
I had the same problem and the dealer would not cover the cost because they now say it is cosmetic. I then filed a claim with the National Center for Dispute Settlement 866-629-3204. As soon as I filed a complaint, tesla called and said they would cover the repairs. Its just another hoop you have to jump threw to force Tesla to honor their Warranty but it works!

Just real quick, this is 'Warranty repair' we are talking about right? ie the regular 4 year warranty? So *at the current moment* here in September of 2021, getting this repaired 'under warranty' (whether you had to initiate a dispute or not, i mean getting Tesla to pay for it) really only applies to owners of newer X's like 2018-2021 and maybe a few remaining 2017 owners whose anniversary hasn't come up yet. 2016 owners like me would have to go out of pocket no matter what, right?

I'm encountering the same issue. My 2018 75D with 36K just sites in our driveway, normally. No particular exposure to anything (not under any trees). They're quoting $2535 to fix this, which is silly.
I see their warranty (https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/downloads/tesla-new-vehicle-limited-warranty-en-us.pdf) has some a limitations, but it seems like a real stretch to think this isn't covered.

I'm wondering if anyone has experience with effective tactics on how to get them to reconsider, like appealing to their better nature, threatening arbitration, talking to state agencies?

I'm encountering the same issue. My 2018 75D with 36K just sites in our driveway, normally. No particular exposure to anything (not under any trees). They're quoting $2535 to fix this, which is silly.
I see their warranty (https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/downloads/tesla-new-vehicle-limited-warranty-en-us.pdf) has some a limitations, but it seems like a real stretch to think this isn't covered.

I'm wondering if anyone has experience with effective tactics on how to get them to reconsider, like appealing to their better nature, threatening arbitration, talking to state agencies?
I'm seeing (now) other posts about arbitration. I'll try to sweet talk them, and report back on my progress.

.My understanding it that Tesla or its supplier used a rubber not rated for UV exposure. Mine began within 6 months on my 2019. Had them replace it at the two year mark under warranty. Then had my detailer reapply ceramic coat and made sure he coated the rubber strips.

I had the same things on my 2018 July MX. I brought it in politely to the Dublin Service Center and asked what service they could do to the seals, in addition to changing the HEPA filter, cabin filter, taking care of the National Highway and Traffic Administration recall on sudden unintended stopping, and cleaning out the A/C system (bad smell) and a few other fee for service consumables. I was fulling expecting to pay for the replacements. The manager came out and told me this was a known issue and that it would be replaced for goodwill, but it would take some time to order the parts (took about 6 weeks). They kept in contact with me and had me bring in the car on a Saturday and did ALL of the work in 4 hours.
It is funny that not every service center does the same thing.
I also bring in little gifts, chocolates or wrapped truffles, when I come in for advice or service, to thank the techs who are working there.
Mike P

• Informative
Reactions: aesculus
Hello all. I'm in the same position, 2016 Sig X. First noticed the issue in 2019 when it would have been under warranty but did not pursue it then; now the rubber is falling off in chunks and of course I'm outside my warranty. Sure, Tesla says they will fix for >$2k, but I'm upset b/c this is clearly a manufacture's defect (how many hundreds or thousands of repairs have they done?), so I am attempting Arbitration. I have a favor to ask of the group, as part of arbitration I will ask Tesla for "discovery" to disclose to me how many times this repair has been done. Thought being, if I can make them admit they have done this repair thousands of times (how many X's are on the road now?), then it should be a strong argument for manufacture's defect. My fear is Tesla may not give full discovery, after all, how will I know if the list they give me is all repairs or just a portion of the total repairs. What I need is my own, very small list, of "known repairs", then if I get a list from them I can check to see if my test cases are on their list. So, if you guys are willing, anyone that has had the repair, in or out of warranty, doesn't matter, if you'll send me a private e-mail to [email protected] with just the last six digits of your VIN, then I'll know if the list Tesla gives me is a complete list or not. I expect this process will take a few months, I'll let you guys know how I'm doing along the way.

The two other threads I know of on this topic:

.My understanding it that Tesla or its supplier used a rubber not rated for UV exposure. Mine began within 6 months on my 2019. Had them replace it at the two year mark under warranty. Then had my detailer reapply ceramic coat and made sure he coated the rubber strips.
I see you got the repair done, one of 16 people off three threads on this forum I’ve ID’d so far. I am attempting Arbitration. I have a favor to ask, as part of arbitration I will ask Tesla for "discovery" to disclose to me how many times this repair has been done. Thought being, if I can make them admit they have done this repair thousands of times (how many X's are on the road now?), then it should be a strong argument for manufacture's defect. My fear is Tesla may not give full discovery, after all, how will I know if the list they give me is all repairs or just a portion of the total repairs. What I need is my own, very small list, of "known repairs", then if I get a list from them I can check to see if my test cases are on their list. So, if you are willing, if you'll send me a private e-mail to [email protected] with just the last six digits of your VIN, then I'll know if the list Tesla gives me is a complete list or not. I expect this process will take a few months, I'll let you know how I'm doing along the way. See my much longer post to all at bottom of thread.

Not much hope for class action suit. Made contact with a firm here in Montgomery, AL, they were already familiar with the issue. I guess with over 150,000 Model X’s on the road with this issue (2016-2019 total production), they have been contacted about this many times before. They say the Tesla arbitration clause is a hard-stop for any class action suit. So, I’m off to arbitration.

• Informative
Reactions: Falcon73
I see you got the repair done, one of 16 people off three threads on this forum I’ve ID’d so far. I am attempting Arbitration. I have a favor to ask, as part of arbitration I will ask Tesla for "discovery" to disclose to me how many times this repair has been done. Thought being, if I can make them admit they have done this repair thousands of times (how many X's are on the road now?), then it should be a strong argument for manufacture's defect. My fear is Tesla may not give full discovery, after all, how will I know if the list they give me is all repairs or just a portion of the total repairs. What I need is my own, very small list, of "known repairs", then if I get a list from them I can check to see if my test cases are on their list. So, if you are willing, if you'll send me a private e-mail to [email protected] with just the last six digits of your VIN, then I'll know if the list Tesla gives me is a complete list or not. I expect this process will take a few months, I'll let you know how I'm doing along the way. See my much longer post to all at bottom of thread.
Make that 17. My MX18 has the same issue.

Same issue. March 2017 X 90D. Service Center replaced the glass under warranty. I guess the left side wasn't that bad (yet), so only the right side was replaced.

View attachment 441093
Hi, I was wondering which Service center in Orange county was able to replace yours under the warranty?

Buena Park is giving me all sorts of excuses to refuse to repair mine under warranty.

I got them to admit that it is a known problem but they want the VIN of the cars that have been repaired so they can use that as an validation to do my repair under warranty which sounds ridiculous! but If you don't mind Can you help me?

• Informative
Our (new to us) MX 75D has the decayed seals on the roof as well. It's obviously out of warranty since the car was first sold in early 2018. So, my fight will probably be with the used car dealer who promised to take care of it. I don't think they will after they see the bill...

I read all these posts and am wondering about other options. Our car doesn't have enough seals left I'm thinking to try and protect them from further damage. Surely, there's some kind of fix out there by now.

If nothing else, I can see myself just cutting off all the remaining failing seals, so they don't at least fall into the car and cause damage to the light interior. The seals inside are fine. Or maybe I can attach something new to the glass? There has to be some way to fix this.

Our (new to us) MX 75D has the decayed seals on the roof as well. It's obviously out of warranty since the car was first sold in early 2018. So, my fight will probably be with the used car dealer who promised to take care of it. I don't think they will after they see the bill...

I read all these posts and am wondering about other options. Our car doesn't have enough seals left I'm thinking to try and protect them from further damage. Surely, there's some kind of fix out there by now.

If nothing else, I can see myself just cutting off all the remaining failing seals, so they don't at least fall into the car and cause damage to the light interior. The seals inside are fine. Or maybe I can attach something new to the glass? There has to be some way to fix this.
Arbitration is your only option. No known work around. Submit a service request just so you can document how much it will cost and get them on the record denying your request for warranty. In the service request specifically ask for warranty repair so they have to address it and deny it. Then off to arbitration. You're only 4yrs out, is the manufacturer's warranty 3 or 4yrs? Probably doesn't matter, the last few posts I've seen they have been denying all claims as not covered b/c they label it a "cosmetic" issue. But, make them say this on your service request as well.