Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Deteriorating falcon wing door moon roof gasket on early model X’s

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
430CAE97-1C5F-460F-928A-3421CDADB27B.jpeg
E6D476F9-A1B8-4532-9095-93121222C4C2.jpeg
9C72A25B-7D63-4CD2-A069-0A27E27C78D7.jpeg
6661ECBA-0D70-4420-B16F-F3CFA8CDE26E.jpeg
I luv Tesla BUT….
With their poor design choice of integrating a substandard gasket material (which started to disintegrate after 3 years) to a very expensive falcon wing door moonroof, and their analysis that this pieces is merely cosmetic (and not covered under warranty), I decided to strip it off completely. Looks a bit better but not as great of as the original. Hopefully it is truely cosmetic and won’t allow weather inside. Any car buffs know something I could attach to bring it back to an original look?

I had the same things on my 2018 July MX. I brought it in politely to the Dublin Service Center and asked what service they could do to the seals, in addition to changing the HEPA filter, cabin filter, taking care of the National Highway and Traffic Administration recall on sudden unintended stopping, and cleaning out the A/C system (bad smell) and a few other fee for service consumables. I was fulling expecting to pay for the replacements. The manager came out and told me this was a known issue and that it would be replaced for goodwill, but it would take some time to order the parts (took about 6 weeks). They kept in contact with me and had me bring in the car on a Saturday and did ALL of the work in 4 hours.

It is funny that not every service center does the same thing.

I also bring in little gifts, chocolates or wrapped truffles, when I come in for advice or service, to thank the techs who are working there.

Mike P

View attachment 737324View attachment 737325View attachment 737319View attachment 737323I luv Tesla BUT….
With their poor design choice of integrating a substandard gasket material (which started to disintegrate after 3 years) to a very expensive falcon wing door moonroof, and their analysis that this pieces is merely cosmetic (and not covered under warranty), I decided to strip it off completely. Looks a bit better but not as great of as the original. Hopefully it is truely cosmetic and won’t allow weather inside. Any car buffs know something I could attach to bring it back to an original look?
It looks nasty but is it still covered under warranty?

View attachment 737324View attachment 737325View attachment 737319View attachment 737323I luv Tesla BUT….
They replaced both top glass on mine, but after finding they scratch my passenger door, they were shitty and told me they weren’t covered under warranty ($2400) but they to cover them under the ESP ($200 deductible) for some odd reason. Same crappy materials as before, so they will fall apart in another couple years 😏

Attachments

• F93D5F0A-3392-4168-B03E-D4D621D12057.jpeg
    F93D5F0A-3392-4168-B03E-D4D621D12057.jpeg
    366.8 KB · Views: 262
  • AB430621-1073-48EF-BE26-C4C3183F41EA.jpeg
    AB430621-1073-48EF-BE26-C4C3183F41EA.jpeg
    369.7 KB · Views: 302
  • 92E2400D-42D7-4263-88FE-0C34965F6975.jpeg
    92E2400D-42D7-4263-88FE-0C34965F6975.jpeg
    201.5 KB · Views: 390
  • C4498D96-EC82-4E05-8C08-93240CB8DD85.jpeg
    C4498D96-EC82-4E05-8C08-93240CB8DD85.jpeg
    222 KB · Views: 553
  • 2E93AD14-8687-44C1-B49D-84EEF7F70833.jpeg
    2E93AD14-8687-44C1-B49D-84EEF7F70833.jpeg
    231.3 KB · Views: 380
  • 64D73151-8B7B-46F7-AE82-A387BD6B0310.jpeg
    64D73151-8B7B-46F7-AE82-A387BD6B0310.jpeg
    192.4 KB · Views: 436
Does anyone know if this causes leaks If not replaced? I recently bought a used 2017 MX with this issue, the car is now out of warranty and tesla quoted £1500 to replace the glass on both sides. Sounds like a lot of money for something that is purely cosmeti….

I had to have both the seals and glass replaced. It was covered under warranty, but I think that is because the glass had cracked. I only noticed this problem because one time when it was raining, water was dripping into the cabin.

Ive attached the portion from my invoice, just for reference I have a 2016 MX and this was repaired in 2019.

Attachments

• Model X Roof glass Invoice.pdf
    42.1 KB · Views: 361
Hello all. I'm in the same position, 2016 Sig X. First noticed the issue in 2019 when it would have been under warranty but did not pursue it then; now the rubber is falling off in chunks and of course I'm outside my warranty. Sure, Tesla says they will fix for >$2k, but I'm upset b/c this is clearly a manufacture's defect (how many hundreds or thousands of repairs have they done?), so I am attempting Arbitration. I have a favor to ask of the group, as part of arbitration I will ask Tesla for "discovery" to disclose to me how many times this repair has been done. Thought being, if I can make them admit they have done this repair thousands of times (how many X's are on the road now?), then it should be a strong argument for manufacture's defect. My fear is Tesla may not give full discovery, after all, how will I know if the list they give me is all repairs or just a portion of the total repairs. What I need is my own, very small list, of "known repairs", then if I get a list from them I can check to see if my test cases are on their list. So, if you guys are willing, anyone that has had the repair, in or out of warranty, doesn't matter, if you'll send me a private e-mail to [email protected] with just the last six digits of your VIN, then I'll know if the list Tesla gives me is a complete list or not. I expect this process will take a few months, I'll let you guys know how I'm doing along the way.

Does anyone know if this causes leaks If not replaced? I recently bought a used 2017 MX with this issue, the car is now out of warranty and tesla quoted £1500 to replace the glass on both sides. Sounds like a lot of money for something that is purely cosmeti….
My service center said it will not cause leaks, they it merely decreases the amount of water entering the water channel of the FW door and it slightly decreases wind noise. That being said, I have been avoiding drive thru car washes, afraid the power spray will #1 knock off more chunks of rubber and #2 overwhelm the water channels and allow water in. See my post below, I'm attempting to get the repair thru arbitration.

The two other threads I know of on this topic:

Reactions: Falcon73
which service center in vegas did you go to? the one on E Sahara is telling me to pay $2400 eventhough i have ESA...
They replaced both top glass on mine, but after finding they scratch my passenger door, they were shitty and told me they weren’t covered under warranty ($2400) but they to cover them under the ESP ($200 deductible) for some odd reason. Same crappy materials as before, so they will fall apart in another couple years 😏

Design isue that they claim is normal wear and tear. File a class action lawsuit and I'll join you. The whole glass needs to be replaced and Tesla being who they are 90% of the time break the glass removing it so even if it could be reworked, they'd screw it up and replace the glass at $1k a pop
Did you actually go thru with the repair? If so, you're one of 16 people off three threads on this forum I’ve ID’d so far. I am attempting Arbitration. I have a favor to ask, as part of arbitration I will ask Tesla for "discovery" to disclose to me how many times this repair has been done. Thought being, if I can make them admit they have done this repair thousands of times (how many X's are on the road now?), then it should be a strong argument for manufacture's defect. My fear is Tesla may not give full discovery, after all, how will I know if the list they give me is all repairs or just a portion of the total repairs. What I need is my own, very small list, of "known repairs", then if I get a list from them I can check to see if my test cases are on their list. So, if you are willing, if you'll send me a private e-mail to [email protected] with just the last six digits of your VIN, then I'll know if the list Tesla gives me is a complete list or not. I expect this process will take a few months, I'll let you know how I'm doing along the way. See my much longer post to all at bottom of thread.

I had the same things on my 2018 July MX. I brought it in politely to the Dublin Service Center and asked what service they could do to the seals, in addition to changing the HEPA filter, cabin filter, taking care of the National Highway and Traffic Administration recall on sudden unintended stopping, and cleaning out the A/C system (bad smell) and a few other fee for service consumables. I was fulling expecting to pay for the replacements. The manager came out and told me this was a known issue and that it would be replaced for goodwill, but it would take some time to order the parts (took about 6 weeks). They kept in contact with me and had me bring in the car on a Saturday and did ALL of the work in 4 hours.

It is funny that not every service center does the same thing.

I also bring in little gifts, chocolates or wrapped truffles, when I come in for advice or service, to thank the techs who are working there.

Mike P
I see you got the repair done, one of 16 people off three threads on this forum I’ve ID’d so far. I am attempting Arbitration. I have a favor to ask, as part of arbitration I will ask Tesla for "discovery" to disclose to me how many times this repair has been done. Thought being, if I can make them admit they have done this repair thousands of times (how many X's are on the road now?), then it should be a strong argument for manufacture's defect. My fear is Tesla may not give full discovery, after all, how will I know if the list they give me is all repairs or just a portion of the total repairs. What I need is my own, very small list, of "known repairs", then if I get a list from them I can check to see if my test cases are on their list. So, if you are willing, if you'll send me a private e-mail to [email protected] with just the last six digits of your VIN, then I'll know if the list Tesla gives me is a complete list or not. I expect this process will take a few months, I'll let you know how I'm doing along the way. See my much longer post to all at bottom of thread.

I got both of mine replaced under warranty. They did have to replace both windows. However, the one of new windows now has a crack in it and now they want $1250 to replace it…..
I see you got the repair done, one of 16 people off three threads on this forum I’ve ID’d so far. I am attempting Arbitration. I have a favor to ask, as part of arbitration I will ask Tesla for "discovery" to disclose to me how many times this repair has been done. Thought being, if I can make them admit they have done this repair thousands of times (how many X's are on the road now?), then it should be a strong argument for manufacture's defect. My fear is Tesla may not give full discovery, after all, how will I know if the list they give me is all repairs or just a portion of the total repairs. What I need is my own, very small list, of "known repairs", then if I get a list from them I can check to see if my test cases are on their list. So, if you are willing, if you'll send me a private e-mail to [email protected] with just the last six digits of your VIN, then I'll know if the list Tesla gives me is a complete list or not. I expect this process will take a few months, I'll let you know how I'm doing along the way. See my much longer post to all at bottom of thread.

This is so disappointing. I just bought my 2019 Model X about 3 weeks and I use the carwash often. Had I known this were an issue I would have never bought it. Tesla should really be ashamed of this but apparently not. What need we do to initiate a class action lawsuit? There is no way this is industry quality. Sorely disappointed.