Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is the 2023 Model X suspension just not refined?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had a 2023 MX for a couple of months with the 22" wheels that was bought back for a completely separate issue. It was replaced with a 2023 MXP with 20".

With the previous one and the 22" wheels the ride was always rough. I did road force balancing, alignment, lowered tire pressure to around 38-39 cold (from the recommended 42) but, even though it would do great over larger road imperfections, even railroad tracks, the ride would suffer from tiny imperfections on the road that seem to unsettle the chassis, even on newly paved roads would translate to subtle back seat vibration. It would resonate every few second, giving you a tingly feel at your back after driving in town at speeds up to 50 for 30-40 minutes, that lasts a while.

I would have thought the new MXP with the 20" would be better but it is pretty much the same. Took it for road force balancing again and lowered tire pressure to 40 (from recommended 45). I still feel this subtle vibration on the seat no matter what the pavement feels like. It is pretty much the same no matter the suspension settings and ride height.

So I thought, coming from BMW M cars, it is just that these weigh a lot, so this is how it must be. Keep in mind I have never felt anything like this with any of the BMW Ms which drove fantastic on very low profile tires and obviously sport tuned suspensions.

Well, over the weekend we got a new Mercedes EQS SUV also with air suspension and 21" wheels. This thing is SO smooth it is crazy. Over the same roads where the MXP feels like it wants to massage me with seat vibrations produced over the smallest road imperfection, the EQS feels incredibly smooth, just like the BMWs.

Am I the only one who feels that the suspension of the MX is severely lacking in refinement and needs much more development even though it is an air suspension? Has anybody done anything to improve this? I understand people may say it is not a luxury car, but even a Model 3 loaner I had with 20" seemed to not have this exact issue, but of course it was lacking as far as bigger road imperfections go.

Last edited:
So all Xs drive like this and we are all ok with it, or finally get used to it, or just don't care? Curious why I haven't seen more discussions about this here - it is very noticeable in comparison to most brands out there.

Not sure if I will be able to get used to it, having to drive 1+ hours a day in up to 50mph traffic, with subtle vibration starting and stopping every few seconds on the seat, even on perfect roads, is pretty annoying. On the previous 2023 MX with the 22", the service center said to not confuse road feel with vibrations. But this is not road feel, it seems to be the chassis getting unsettled over small/tiny imperfections.

On the other hand the car does handle exceptionally well for what it is and its size/weight. I wonder if different tires from the OEMs, rear sway bar or anything else can make a difference if anybody has tried.

• Disagree
Reactions: TespaceX and glide
So all Xs drive like this and we are all ok with it, or finally get used to it, or just don't care? Curious why I haven't seen more discussions about this here - it is very noticeable in comparison to most brands out there.

Not sure if I will be able to get used to it, having to drive 1+ hours a day in up to 50mph traffic, with subtle vibration starting and stopping every few seconds on the seat, even on perfect roads, is pretty annoying. On the previous 2023 MX with the 22", the service center said to not confuse road feel with vibrations. But this is not road feel, it seems to be the chassis getting unsettled over small/tiny imperfections.

On the other hand the car does handle exceptionally well for what it is and its size/weight. I wonder if different tires from the OEMs, rear sway bar or anything else can make a difference if anybody has tried.
There are hundreds-long pages of post about shitty suspension. It was all anyone talked about with the MY for years. The new “Adaptive” suspension on the MS/MX doesn’t work at all depending how much kool aid one drinks.

Compared to comparable offerings from BMW/Merc/Porsche, the MS/MX suspension is trash.

There are hundreds-long pages of post about shitty suspension. It was all anyone talked about with the MY for years. The new “Adaptive” suspension on the MS/MX doesn’t work at all depending how much kool aid one drinks.

Compared to comparable offerings from BMW/Merc/Porsche, the MS/MX suspension is trash.
I test drove the BMW iX before getting my MXP. While I felt it had better overall handling, I wouldn't say the MX suspension is trash.

Ultimately, I chose the MXP for reasons that matter most to me: superior performance, range and tech. (I also couldn't get over the iX's hideous looks!)

This new review from carwow/Mat sums it up pretty well. Suspension review starts at minute 14. And he only had it for a day! Driving it daily in the city, especially at speeds between 30 and 50 mph, the subtle vibrations become amazingly annoying. I can't believe there aren't more discussions about this big issue here.

I don’t know how else to say it. There are HUNDREDS of pages of people complaining about suspension.

You’re either not searching or just spamming for clicks.

Reactions: TespaceX
I don’t know how else to say it. There are HUNDREDS of pages of people complaining about suspension.

You’re either not searching or just spamming for clicks.
Maybe you can provide some links to other threads and/or solutions because your responses seem like your are just trolling comparing model Y/3 and whatever else suspension to a specific issue I am describing with MX and going around posting to random threads you see.

• Disagree
Reactions: spectrum and glide

A rear sway bar apparently makes a big difference, at least according to @kriRanX :

• Informative
Reactions: Tiger
Maybe you can provide some links to other threads and/or solutions because your responses seem like your are just trolling comparing model Y/3 and whatever else suspension to a specific issue I am describing with MX and going around posting to random threads you see.
Jesus…how lazy are you? I suggested using the search function and you respond asking me to literally do the search for you.

Fine. Here’s a 13 page thread on the air suspension in the refresh MS/MX and how it does not work as designed. You can search for the rest on your own.

A rear sway bar apparently makes a big difference, at least according to @kriRanX :
Thanks! I had found this one, but no other references that this helps and it seems this member is in banned status now.

• Disagree
Reactions: glide
Jesus…how lazy are you? I suggested using the search function and you respond asking me to literally do the search for you.

Fine. Here’s a 13 page thread on the air suspension in the refresh MS/MX and how it does not work as designed. You can search for the rest on your own.

What you are quoting has zero relation to what I am describing. I certainly feel a difference changing suspension settings and had found that thread and read most. You can stop trolling now, nothing to see here.

What you are quoting has zero relation to what I am describing. I certainly feel a difference changing suspension settings and had found that thread and read most. You can stop trolling now, nothing to see here.
I’ll say it again; do your own searches then. This is one of hundreds of threads relating to suspension ride quality.

It is poor, agree. I have an iX and it is light years ahead in terms of refinement. Different car, different use cases. Give me the Tesla drive train and software stack in the BMW and I would have the perfect car... but yep, its pretty poor in terms of perceived quality and NVH compared to any European air suspension set up

Reactions: Leek4u
I've owned all the Tesla models now except the S, and IMO they all have pretty poor suspension. The Y is the absolute worst. My 3 performance is actually a better ride overall than the LR Y, and that's with the new comfort suspension.

The X is much better than the Y -- but you're right, it doesn't exactly float over the road like you might think it should based on the price.

Yeah, my 23' model X isn't exactly floaty over the road and certainly does have some bumps/vibrations/ and road noise. I feel it is tolerable and acceptable considering I test drove the exact demo car.

As a new car company it's pretty obvious and especially with my 18 model 3, Tesla really does lack some car comfort essentials and focuses too much on software and complete supply chain integration. A perfect example of this is them putting microphones in my seat and trying to use the speakers for white noise to lower cabin noise, instead of just building the car with more noise dampening materials.

My Model X also has more rattles and squeaks driving down rough roads more than most vehicles. I'd honestly say it's out of tolerance but I don't really mind it.

My 2020 Ford Raptor suspension is waaay more comfortable, and floaty. If I want that feeling I just drive that.

It is poor, agree. I have an iX and it is light years ahead in terms of refinement. Different car, different use cases. Give me the Tesla drive train and software stack in the BMW and I would have the perfect car... but yep, its pretty poor in terms of perceived quality and NVH compared to any European air suspension set up
Totally agree, it is just really disappointing to me but of course it is my fault assuming that the issue was the 22" wheels and the 20"s would be perfect. At the same time, it is living with it daily and driving it for hours that shows this issue. A 20 minute test drive is not really enough to see how bothersome it can become.

I am hoping there is a solution even if it is aftermarket, and the reason I started this thread.

As far as the software stack goes, it is a great experience - mostly. We got this car for my wife, but the lack of park assist made us get an EQS for her. There is vision but is severely lacking and inaccurate, there is no way to park in our garage with it. It is mind blowing that they removed parking sensors before having an equivalent solution. It has also handicapped the front doors which open just a bit and then you have to fight with them to open them more. Finally, because of this obsession with vision and lack of sensors, there are some weird quirks, such as the windshield wipers starting out of nowhere, really fast with really bright direct sunlight.

On the other hand the drive train is unmatched and the it handles very well for what it is. Just not sure I can live with it unless I find a way to improve this issue since it is my daily.

Yeah, my 23' model X isn't exactly floaty over the road and certainly does have some bumps/vibrations/ and road noise. I feel it is tolerable and acceptable considering I test drove the exact demo car.

As a new car company it's pretty obvious and especially with my 18 model 3, Tesla really does lack some car comfort essentials and focuses too much on software and complete supply chain integration. A perfect example of this is them putting microphones in my seat and trying to use the speakers for white noise to lower cabin noise, instead of just building the car with more noise dampening materials.

My Model X also has more rattles and squeaks driving down rough roads more than most vehicles. I'd honestly say it's out of tolerance but I don't really mind it.

My 2020 Ford Raptor suspension is waaay more comfortable, and floaty. If I want that feeling I just drive that.
As far as quality, panel gaps and rattles I got lucky with this one. I can't find anything big, and zero rattles (except of a balloons rubbing together noise from the falcon doors that I fix weekly by applying leather conditioner at their bottom where they meet the frame).

This is absolutely the opposite of the previous 2023 MX I had, which I had to create a long list of imperfections and rattles that were fixed after several service center visits. So it is kind of a lottery it seems!

Reactions: BayAreaCelt