Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is the 2023 Model X suspension just not refined?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just got it yesterday. Was in service for falcon wing door phantom object detection issues and they added the vibration issue automatically. Funny thing is they marked it resolved and said update not yet available.

When I was on my way to pick it up, the car updates to .44. This morning I drove around and can confirm I did not feel the vibration issue when accelerating between 30-45 when I used to feel it. However I thought I was feeling it around 65mph now but could have been nothing. Need to test it more.

I just got it yesterday. Was in service for falcon wing door phantom object detection issues and they added the vibration issue automatically. Funny thing is they marked it resolved and said update not yet available.

When I was on my way to pick it up, the car updates to .44. This morning I drove around and can confirm I did not feel the vibration issue when accelerating between 30-45 when I used to feel it. However I thought I was feeling it around 65mph now but could have been nothing. Need to test it more.
Hows the full acceleration shudder? you still get it or does it accelerate smoothly?

Hows the full acceleration shudder? you still get it or does it accelerate smoothly?
So I don’t ever recall having a shudder issue under full acceleration but I just went out and tested a couple full acceleration runs.

Take my results with a grain of salt as YMMV but I didn’t notice shudder on tonight’s 2 full throttle runs. And damn the plaid is just so stupid fast that I couldn’t only keep my foot in it for a few seconds and it’s already at stupid speed.

So I don’t ever recall having a shudder issue under full acceleration but I just went out and tested a couple full acceleration runs.

Take my results with a grain of salt as YMMV but I didn’t notice shudder on tonight’s 2 full throttle runs. And damn the plaid is just so stupid fast that I couldn’t only keep my foot in it for a few seconds and it’s already at stupid speed.

You don't feel a slight to mid vibration coming from the front of the X at max accel...? it shakes a bit from the two MXPs that I drove.

Update: 2023.44.1 doesn’t fully eliminate vibrations when doing hard acceleration. When I say hard, I mean like merging into 55mph traffic from a yield sign but not flooring it.

Doing a steady acceleration (like an ICE car), no vibrations.
Are you normal seat vibrations between 30-50 gone? Happy with it now? Update still not available for me so no first hand experience yet - I just got 2023.38.9 a couple of days ago.

Reactions: theslimshadyist
Are you normal seat vibrations between 30-50 gone? Happy with it now? Update still not available for me so no first hand experience yet - I just got 2023.38.9 a couple of days ago.
It’s not gone gone but vibrations are much more subdued. When steadily accelerating, vibrations are gone 30-40mph. But if I do some hard accelerating (not flooring or trying to show off 0-60), there is still some vibration but it is less than originally.

Reactions: theslimshadyist
So all Xs drive like this and we are all ok with it, or finally get used to it, or just don't care? Curious why I haven't seen more discussions about this here - it is very noticeable in comparison to most brands out there.

Not sure if I will be able to get used to it, having to drive 1+ hours a day in up to 50mph traffic, with subtle vibration starting and stopping every few seconds on the seat, even on perfect roads, is pretty annoying. On the previous 2023 MX with the 22", the service center said to not confuse road feel with vibrations. But this is not road feel, it seems to be the chassis getting unsettled over small/tiny imperfections.

On the other hand the car does handle exceptionally well for what it is and its size/weight. I wonder if different tires from the OEMs, rear sway bar or anything else can make a difference if anybody has tried.
I agree about exceptional good handling and drive "feel" for a car of that size/weight. However, with a brand new Model X (October, 2023) with a similar issue since day 1 -- my 5 yr-old Model 3 has less vibration. I plan to trade-in the Model X on a Cybertruck in 2025 (or sooner if possible).

I agree about exceptional good handling and drive "feel" for a car of that size/weight. However, with a brand new Model X (October, 2023) with a similar issue since day 1 -- my 5 yr-old Model 3 has less vibration. I plan to trade-in the Model X on a Cybertruck in 2025 (or sooner if possible).
Have you received the 2023.44 update? Wonder if it made any difference for others as I have not received it yet.

I set my UP rear sway bar at stiff. No camber arms, all else stock.

I am not sure what people experience to start this thread - I find the suspension of my MXP very much "air like" - there is a significant difference between it and the feel of the 3 and Y. I wouldn't call it unrefined, but neither would I call it sporty or taut. Perhaps people compare too much against the best German vehicles most of which I have not driven. I would take the X for a long drive any day over the Y.

The steering is a different matter - too light for my taste in "sport" mode - the 3 and the Y win in that department.

I set my UP rear sway bar at stiff. No camber arms, all else stock.

I am not sure what people experience to start this thread - I find the suspension of my MXP very much "air like" - there is a significant difference between it and the feel of the 3 and Y. I wouldn't call it unrefined, but neither would I call it sporty or taut. Perhaps people compare too much against the best German vehicles most of which I have not driven. I would take the X for a long drive any day over the Y.

The steering is a different matter - too light for my taste in "sport" mode - the 3 and the Y win in that department.
Did you experiment with the medium and stiff setting to decide? I'm going to put the bar on and not sure what setting to use

Did you experiment with the medium and stiff setting to decide? I'm going to put the bar on and not sure what setting to use
No. Shoot an email to UP for a recommendation. I went by their recommendation for the model 3 which was stiff in rear and medium in front. And works perfectly there but here it’s just rear bar replacement so I should have asked perhaps.

Also “stiff” in sway bar I imagine means more body roll resistance, not stiffer ride.

No. Shoot an email to UP for a recommendation. I went by their recommendation for the model 3 which was stiff in rear and medium in front. And works perfectly there but here it’s just rear bar replacement so I should have asked perhaps.

Also “stiff” in sway bar I imagine means more body roll resistance, not stiffer ride.

I assume a "stiffer" rear sway bar setting mean less understeer.

I would think it's up to personal preference or "how do you drive". Assuming you install it yourself, it wouldn't be too hard to try it in the middle position, drive it awhile and see how it meets your expectations. Then adjust it if needed. I can't imagine that taking more than an hour.

A quick Google search came up with this:

A stiffer rear sway bar can have several effects, including:
  • Less rear chassis roll
  • Less rear traction
  • More front grip or traction
  • Faster steering response in high speed corners and chicanes
  • Increased on-power steering
  • Helps keep the front tires on the road better when accelerating
  • Makes the car squat less when exiting a corner and getting on the gas
  • Supports the rear and shifts balance to less understeer at the corner exit
  • Can help tune the level of understeer or oversteer present in a vehicle
However, if the rear sway bar is too stiff, it may result in a possible snap oversteer. It can also lift the inside tire on cornering, which is bad since you can no longer put power down on exit.

Just took a 60 mile drive on the new “stiff” rear sway bar and new firmware 2023.44.60.30 that upgraded the day after the install. Mixed driving. I like it, the suspension feels communicative and steering in curves is more neutral. But the sway bar wasn’t the same wow upgrade as the sway bars of the M3P is. I would advise to drive it stock for longer and consider suspension mods only if bothered by some aspect of handling and feel.

Overall though what strikes me is how much more comfortable driver the X compared to a MYP or M3P is. I can only imagine that if the best German suspension examples out there are that much better in the way X than say a Y, then people may feel the X is “unrefined”.