Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is the 2023 Model X suspension just not refined?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Oddly 2023.44.30.6 did not make the cold 1st 2 min vibration disappear. I never had at speed vibrations but thought the initial vibration was worse than ever today though the car was cold and was stationary several days prior. Went away after a couple of minutes

So I just took delivery 2 weeks ago and my MXLR has this seatback random vibration issue since delivery. Totally random comes and goes under normal / slow acceleration but happens quite often. Feel it in the steering wheel and seatbacks.

I have the 22s with Pirelli Scorpion all seasons. My initial thoughts are bad tires but curious if anybody else has successfully found a fix? On software 2023.44.30.7 btw.

If tires or balancing is the issue, it wouldn't be random. On the other hand, if random and you engage service, chances are they will declare they can't reproduce since these kinds of issues are almost untraceable anyway.

Alignment check, and balancing are probably a good idea on a new X regardless, so you can start with that.

p.s.
I wonder if there is some "vibration meter" device out there sensitive enough to measure vibrations in certain frequencies.

If tires or balancing is the issue, it wouldn't be random. On the other hand, if random and you engage service, chances are they will declare they can't reproduce since these kinds of issues are almost untraceable anyway.

Alignment check, and balancing are probably a good idea on a new X regardless, so you can start with that.

p.s.
I wonder if there is some "vibration meter" device out there sensitive enough to measure vibrations in certain frequencies.
I say random but it happens during almost every light acceleration, it just does it at random times and speeds, not set to a certain mph. Mostly feel the vibration in the seatback but also felt in steering wheel slightly. It almost feels like a shudder from an electric golf cart almost like motors are arguing with each other or choppy controller.

Just took a 60 mile drive on the new “stiff” rear sway bar and new firmware 2023.44.60.30 that upgraded the day after the install. Mixed driving. I like it, the suspension feels communicative and steering in curves is more neutral. But the sway bar wasn’t the same wow upgrade as the sway bars of the M3P is. I would advise to drive it stock for longer and consider suspension mods only if bothered by some aspect of handling and feel.

Overall though what strikes me is how much more comfortable driver the X compared to a MYP or M3P is. I can only imagine that if the best German suspension examples out there are that much better in the way X than say a Y, then people may feel the X is “unrefined”.

@Milan Djabirov - I've recently purchased one of these for my MXP and am curious which of the three possible settings "holes" you went with on the install? Does the bar come with installation instructions that detail the settings, or did UP guide you on the setting you chose to go with?

1704314947203.png

Last edited:
Reactions: towndrunk
@Milan Djabirov - I've recently purchased one of these for my MXP and am curious which of the three possible settings "holes" you went with on the install? Does the bar come with installation instructions that detail the settings, or did UP guide you on the setting you chose to go with?

View attachment 1005493
UP should have a guide ask them. They have it online for the 3, I’m pretty sure the
X is fairly similar but ask

I went with the “stiff” hole which is the innermost hole closest to the bar itself. A pic from my 3. The mounting is hard to see but it’s the 3rd hole from the end.

1704319836322.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_1215.jpeg
    IMG_1215.jpeg
    341.9 KB · Views: 21
Reactions: EightBitWhit
It is poor, agree. I have an iX and it is light years ahead in terms of refinement. Different car, different use cases. Give me the Tesla drive train and software stack in the BMW and I would have the perfect car... but yep, its pretty poor in terms of perceived quality and NVH compared to any European air suspension set up
Yep. I had a BMX IX for nearly a 1 1/2 years before getting Model X. I miss the quiet, near perfect ride of the IX too. I have to turn BT volume up so High to have a conversation on the highway. The IX was SO quiet, even at 80+ MPH

UP should have a guide ask them. They have it online for the 3, I’m pretty sure the
X is fairly similar but ask

I went with the “stiff” hole which is the innermost hole closest to the bar itself. A pic from my 3. The mounting is hard to see but it’s the 3rd hole from the end.

View attachment 1005520
Thank you @Milan Djabirov !!

After driving on stiff for a while, I am very happy. The only time the car is unsettled is on very sharp grooves/bumps and I am not sure the stock would be better there. The suspension is miles above the MYP (late 2022) on moderate pot holes and bumps even with stiff, I have both cars and there is no comparison. It may not be best in class air suspension but it's refined enough for me and definitely air-like (I drive on adaptive setting / low mode).

Reactions: EightBitWhit
After driving on stiff for a while, I am very happy. The only time the car is unsettled is on very sharp grooves/bumps and I am not sure the stock would be better there. The suspension is miles above the MYP (late 2022) on moderate pot holes and bumps even with stiff, I have both cars and there is no comparison. It may not be best in class air suspension but it's refined enough for me and definitely air-like (I drive on adaptive setting / low mode).
That's funny - I've got a '22 MYP as well (my wife drives it) and this will be good testimony to look back on once I get my sway bar installed. I'll be thinking about this from a comparative standpoint as well.

Speaking purely on the vibration at steady speed issue, (40-58mph) does the sway bar improve this at all? I can deal with the acceleration shudder, but cannot tolerate the vibration on smooth roads at those speeds.

I'm in the middle of a buyback because of this issue and am supposed to sign the agreement on Monday. Would really prefer a route other than the buyback, so hopeful there is some way to solve this as the X is exactly what I am looking for and it is great otherwise.

No, the sway bar will not affect it. Pretty much all vibration issues (I only have cold one, not when the car has been driven for a few minutes) are front drive unit and/or front suspension related. Don't waste your money on a rear sway bar if you can't tolerate whatever vibration you have. Maybe, just maybe lowering links would help, but if I get a vibration that's always reproducible I am fighting Tesla to buy back or fix it all the way.

Reactions: MobileMikeV
Do we know if the roughness/vibration/shake comes from the front or rear? I only feel it through the seats, not the yoke, so my gut is the rear end sort of "dancing" over the road a little on very slight surface imperfections, thus the thought that a rear sway bar might help out.

Do we know if the roughness/vibration/shake comes from the front or rear? I only feel it through the seats, not the yoke, so my gut is the rear end sort of "dancing" over the road a little on very slight surface imperfections, thus the thought that a rear sway bar might help out.

Vibration through the yoke is generally associated with the front end and seat from the rest of the car.

Vibration and rear shaking are different experiences - the vibrations have a much higher frequency than a bouncy / shaky suspension. In general vibrations are hard to diagnose aside from alignment or tire balance issue. Probably true for any brand, not just Tesla, but Tesla seems to be ignoring this issue in their QC.

Love them! They made the car MUCH more planted, much less road vibrations (running them at 42 PSI cold - under the recommended 45), and it is just a completely different drive. Still doesn't match the smoothness of something like the EQS but I was surprised how much better it is performance and road noise wise. I totally recommend getting the Michelin Pilot Sport AS4 - for me it is night and day. There is a bit more road noise vs the Continentals with windows open especially, but nothing too distracting. Consumption is pretty much the same for me.

I still have a high speed steering wheel vibration (but anything under 65 mph is good) and I have started getting a steering assist reduced alert that is new for a couple of weeks, before the Michelins. I have an appointment next week for the service center to check it out and will bring up the steering vibration that seems to be just at the steering wheel, definitely not balancing since it is just the steering that vibrates. I mean you can see it "pulsating" if you don't hold it really hard with both hands.
Wanted to check in and see if this fixed your seat-back vibrations long-term? Specifically the ~30-60mph rumble/vibration. It's all I can think about - it's like a sickness.

And vibration is how I would describe it, really. Over smooth roads (nothing is perfectly smooth) it is a fairly high frequency shake/vibration/disturbance right through the seats. Passengers can feel it, too, so not specific to the actual seat itself.

Last edited:
Reactions: skytom88
Wanted to check in and see if this fixed your seat-back vibrations long-term? Specifically the ~30-60mph rumble/vibration. It's all I can think about - it's like a sickness.

And vibration is how I would describe it, really. Over smooth roads (nothing is perfectly smooth) it is a fairly high frequency shake/vibration/disturbance right through the seats. Passengers can feel it, too, so not specific to the actual seat itself.
I can totally understand the sickness part, have had it too.

The ride with the Michelin PS AS4 is definitely smoother. The 2023.44+ update also helped somewhat - note I have a 2023 MXP but my previous 2023 MX also had the same vibrations.

Having said this, I am trying really hard to live with the car. It is just not a smooth ride and, as you point out, you can be on the smoothest newly paved road and still feel seat vibrations and lots of unwanted steering/yoke feedback, mainly between 30 - 50 mph. I feel nothing with our EQS on the same roads, and don't remember a feeling like this with any of my previous cars (BMW M5s, M3s, M4s and Mercedes AMGs).

The strange thing for me is that the amount of vibration seems to be a variable based on I have no idea what. Weather, rain or clear, hot or cold, have not been able to pinpoint it but it is not the quality of the road. Best way to describe it is that you have a very nervous passenger behind you with their knees touching the back of the seat and they are mildly shaking it every so often.

It is impossible to drive at those speeds with your head resting at the headrest. It feels like wearing some kind of electric head massager at its lowest speed.

Debating everyday with myself what to do next. At this point the only thing I can think of is that this is the car and it is a design flaw and the majority of people who can live with it are just not sensitive to these vibrations.

Reactions: novajoe83
I can totally understand the sickness part, have had it too.

The ride with the Michelin PS AS4 is definitely smoother. The 2023.44+ update also helped somewhat - note I have a 2023 MXP but my previous 2023 MX also had the same vibrations.

Having said this, I am trying really hard to live with the car. It is just not a smooth ride and, as you point out, you can be on the smoothest newly paved road and still feel seat vibrations and lots of unwanted steering/yoke feedback, mainly between 30 - 50 mph. I feel nothing with our EQS on the same roads, and don't remember a feeling like this with any of my previous cars (BMW M5s, M3s, M4s and Mercedes AMGs).

The strange thing for me is that the amount of vibration seems to be a variable based on I have no idea what. Weather, rain or clear, hot or cold, have not been able to pinpoint it but it is not the quality of the road. Best way to describe it is that you have a very nervous passenger behind you with their knees touching the back of the seat and they are mildly shaking it every so often.

It is impossible to drive at those speeds with your head resting at the headrest. It feels like wearing some kind of electric head massager at its lowest speed.

Debating everyday with myself what to do next. At this point the only thing I can think of is that this is the car and it is a design flaw and the majority of people who can live with it are just not sensitive to these vibrations.
Thank you for the info! I have a 2019 M3P with 84k mi and it is like silk on smooth roads that the X shakes on just as you describe. I have demo'd the new 3, Y, and S and they are leagues better.

It's all I can think about. I just have give it back to Tesla. Going to miss that awesome windshield, though.

Thank you for the info! I have a 2019 M3P with 84k mi and it is like silk on smooth roads that the X shakes on just as you describe. I have demo'd the new 3, Y, and S and they are leagues better.

It's all I can think about. I just have give it back to Tesla. Going to miss that awesome windshield, though.
I understand. I went through a buy back last year with my previous 2023 MX. I had totally thought the lack of smoothness was because of the 22's then so I got an MXP with 20s wheel wise.

Otherwise I like the car and there is just really nothing else out there similar to it talking about windsheild, drivetrain and how it handles considering what it is. I have been able to make it 100% rattle free and has the potential to be a great family commuter if it wasn't for these vibrations. All this assuming you don't care for automatic windsheild wipers, understand you will be beta testing, you didn't buy it for any hyped upcoming features, and don't need parking aids.