Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My 2020 Model S has arrived

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So after a three month and 10 day wait, my Model S Performance w/Ludicrous has come home. I don't get emotional much about technology, but driving from Sydney to Melbourne on autopilot the day I picked it up (Thank you delivery team for turning things on their head to make this happen!) I did shed a tear of happiness. We left Sydney in rush hour traffic, not having to touch the steering wheel while in creeping stop and go traffic is amazing. And while at highway speeds just keeping a hand on the wheel and the autopilot taking care of the boring bits we humans are so bad at is truly amazing. I used to complain to anyone who would listen and say "It is the year 2020, where is my personal jetpack!?" Well, I finally, have the equivalent of that: An electric car with a fully functioning autopilot. That is truly amazing and superseded my wildest expectations with how well it works.

Just wanted to share my happiness. And I haven't even tried ludicrous yet!

It came with an adapter, it's still the standard Tesla charging port. It is one wonderful vehicle. Did some more navigate on autopilot drives yesterday and it's just amazing to use when visiting a place you don't know, gets you in the right lanes at the right time for intersections, bloody brilliant the thing!

I hate to say this, but be certain to pay attention every single second. I have had it since the beginning in 2015, and agree wholeheartedly with your sentiments.

Back in those early days some of us were too complacent and had serious accidents. I very nearly had one myself, luckily with no harm to anything other than my fragile ego, and perhaps some very rapid pulse rate. Others have sometimes not been so lucky.

However, driving a Model X throughout horribly crowded and ill-mannered Northern Italy earlier this year made me incredibly grateful to be able to monitor rather than directly control. The stress level reduces immensely. As an airplane pilot I think the Autopilot name is perfect! Of course I have had autopilot failures in airplanes too.

You have bought my favorite Tesla right now. May you have a delightful continuing experience. Congratulations!

@jbcarioca Ah, a fellow pilot! I used to fly for a living a long time ago myself, now just privately. I treat the Tesla "navigate on autopilot" the same way I treat the autopilot during turbulence: hands on the controls, feeling what it's doing, ready to take over if it disengages or overreacts (which it does occasionally). On the highway with little traffic and with NoA disengaged, it's a little closer to an autoland. Hands off the controls, but looking out the window and hands near, ready to take over. NoA is still a little jumpy and does weird stuff occasionally, while with NoA disengaged on the highway, it's been rock solid. Drove 2500km in the past week, most of it with AP engaged, and it's been impressively reliable throughout a vast variety of lighting scenarios. Rain however is a problem for it.

@Vostok: I have 2020.8.1 installed and DAB works fine. The radio controls however are a mess and need some serious GUI work.