Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MY 2024/2025 Refresh - Project Juniper?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Model 3 Fremont timeline history:
- Production of old model 3 ended in December 2023
- Production of new Highland Model 3 is now ramped up in May 2024 for both SR and LR, with 300+ vehicles currently in U.S. inventory ready to deliver.
Ramp-up was 5 months. Slower deliveries because no US tax credit.

Model Y Fremont/Austin Juniper possible timeline :
- Production of current Y could end December 2024
- Production of new Juniper LR Y could ramp up at Fremont OR at Austin, maybe quicker ramp than the 3 because the Y LR gets the EV tax credit and there are two factories in the U.S.

Just a guess.
I've also been seeing a lot more Highland 3's driving around where I live.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe Tesla has more lines dedicated to producing the Y than the 3, meaning once they re-tool the lines for Juniper they should be able to get them out faster than they did for Highland.

Call me "old school", but I like a spare tire. Yes, they can be hard to come by, but my 2022 Lincoln Corsair PHEV has one. My Corvette does not and cannot, but it comes with Michelin run-flats. I'm aware there is a third-party spare that doesn't quite fit in a MY. All I'm asking for is a slight trunk modification so a spare can be offered as a factory option. Sometimes a tire can be damaged beyond what roadside service & a slime kit can do. Happened to me in the middle of rural Kansas. A full-size spare kept me going 100 miles until I could buy a new replacement tire.

I have solar & two Powerwalls. Sufficient if I have mostly sunny days. Insufficient for continuous cloudy days. It's cheaper & more versatile to have an EV for additional battery storage than more Powerwalls. Only additional hardware required is the new wall connector, $580. While I do like the MY and the current price is appealing, about the only reason I would voluntarily buy an EV in the next few years is Powershare.

Just wondering who is buying at these prices? I bought a 2023 3 at 31,700 after tax credit. I just can’t believe there are enough people buying and taking loans on this car. I really think this car is overpriced. It’s probably a high 30k car for the performance. Sorry the truth will set you free Ewon. Also the new y needs to have 2 screens period

FYI The model 3 Performance thread started 7 months ago and they are just starting to roll out cars. it's been over a year since the the M3P has been produced.
The M3P was all speculation until it was revealed and available April 23rd. One month later they've already been delivered to numerous customers. For whatever timeline they had on the model 3 highland trims, I expect the model Y trims to be the same or even faster since lots of parts between the 2 cars will most likely be shared.

I personally am taking delivery in a couple weeks of a new model 3 performance, and I'll be trading for a model Y performance (most likely) when it gets refreshed.

Model 3 Fremont timeline history:
- Production of old model 3 ended in December 2023
- Production of new Highland Model 3 is now ramped up in May 2024 for both SR and LR, with 300+ vehicles currently in U.S. inventory ready to deliver.
Ramp-up was 5 months. Slower deliveries because no US tax credit.
I could have gotten a refresh M3 in mid-March. They had them at my local store when I was having some service done on my MY. Advertised for $299/month at the time.

Juniper in 2025 for sure.

But even if a Y refresh was coming this year, Elon wouldn’t confirm that as it’d plummet Model Y sales.
So what does one do? At one point Juniper will come out and they will fetch a premium, the outgoing model will be deeply discounted to clear existing stock. Cannot see how this summer or some time in 2025 will make a difference. I believe the sooner this happens the more cars Tesla will sell overall. I as well as a heck of a lot of others are waiting for Juniper, they will have a hard time fulfilling the initial demand if you ask me.

Pretty sure Elon will surprise us with the release however they will need to be setup for the Juniper build as the time between the official reveal and the actual delivery will be critical for sales figures in general. Looks like the Highland is finally rolling out smoothly however delivery is still lagging quite a bit.

Elon Musk

@elonmusk
·
Follow
No Model Y “refresh” is coming out this year. I should note that Tesla continuously improves its cars, so even a car that is 6 months newer will be a little better.
Is that so EM? Hmm…let’s circle back to late 2022 and USS, passenger lumbar support, pano 82kw battery. 353 mile/ 568km M3 range and 330 mile/535km MY, comfort suspension. Enter 2023 and options removed, battery kw reduced,.

Perhaps he meant a little better …’on profit margin’ lol 😂

One things for sure…retail pricing got alot better. Over the years Tesla does provide more bang for the buck when models are completely refreshed. Ie. MSP100D was 210k cnd back in 2017. Today? 130k cnd for a Plaid.

• Informative
Reactions: navguy12
The LR Y battery was 82kw. Could just be range estimate reduction or how much usable kw are in play.
The battery size hasn't changed on the LR since introduction,* There was a range estimate reduction some time last year (?) due to a change in the EPA algorithm.

* Some think the original size was about 79 kWh, while others think that the size was always 82 kWh but they opened up a bit more of the buffer.

Reactions: Destiny1701

I dont think it's coming anytime soon but of course Musk would have to say that either way.
If it does come out later this year overseas, he would point out he said "refresh" and this is a redesign, not a "refresh". Or it's a "new generation".
He also just said like a month ago they were getting rid of inventory discounts and yet they're back.

Last edited:
Reactions: tivoboy
1) whatever musk says on twitter is horribly unreliable and can never be taken at face value

2) they never officially called the new Model 3 “highland” or “refresh”. They called it the “reengineered” Model 3 or just 2024 Model 3. So he could just be being pedantic about there not being a Model Y “refresh”.

1) whatever musk says on twitter is horribly unreliable and can never be taken at face value

2) they never officially called the new Model 3 “highland” or “refresh”. They called it the “reengineered” Model 3 or just 2024 Model 3. So he could just be being pedantic about there not being a Model Y “refresh”.
Incorrect. ‘Highland ‘is stamped on various parts of the new model.

Reactions: Skavatar
posted on the M3 Highland thread a while back, some parts on the Tesla website do refer to "Highland"

highland.jpg

Reactions: Noflash and ord3r