Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My adventures in gaining control of my car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So you've used Raspberry Pi as a traffic filter, blocking certain signals and allowing others through? By enabling AP diagnostic mode, are you bypassing the nags? So you're driving around in diagnostic mode?

Are those bad assumptions ^^^
Quite bad assumptions. I'm not blocking anything, the pi is simply setting variables that Tesla baked in to the system and telling it to use certain features the car is already designed with.

@green1 - at some point though you will have to take it in for service and unless you luck out your firmware will be updated, thereby obviating your efforts. Hopefully you won't have any major issues to contend with in the near future.
Well, I've had a ranger out several times since this all started, and he honours my requests not to change any software. The manager of the service centre has also stated that firmware updates are entirely up to me, so I'm not overly worried. Additionally, as I own the car, and they do not, ANY unauthorized modification to the car by Tesla would be breaking many laws, so I'm pretty sure they won't try it.

My annual service is in a couple weeks, I'm confident Tesla won't break the law just to try to piss me off further.

Reactions: neroden
You can probably get away with it if everything is routine maintenance. But if they have to replace the drive unit, master charger, etc. you can kiss your access goodbye.
Then they can provide the same level of functionality the car came with. They can't legally remove unrelated functionality to fix a warranty claim. More on that in my other thread though, it's way off topic here so I won't discuss it further.

Then they can provide the same level of functionality the car came with. They can't legally remove unrelated functionality to fix a warranty claim. More on that in my other thread though, it's way off topic here so I won't discuss it further.
thanks to green1's awesome thread and some coffee, my bench setup now also is in dev/factory mode.
Now digging further to find the list of REST request's mentioned above or some other open doors to be able to actually be able to change more things/variables. Clues are highly appreciated, CID is showing 52 errors, that needs to be solved :p

factory.png

my bench setup now also is in dev/factory mode.
Now digging further to find the list of REST request's mentioned above or some other open doors to be able to actually be able to change more things/variables. Clues are highly appreciated, CID is showing 52 errors, that needs to be solved :p

What firmware is it running?

I'm betting one of those errors is cause you forgot to close the chargeport.... or even have a chargeport... or a car.

Many people have told me to shut up and bow down to the Tesla overlords, and how dare I question anything they ever do. This thread is not for those people. If you are one of those people, do us all a favour, stop reading now, and go elsewhere. I don't want your replies, and I will not engage you in this thread.

Hmmmm.... telling certain people to "go elsewhere" right after saying this...

Ok, so I'm not content to let Tesla dictate what I can and can not do with my own property. They are not a regulatory body, and they also have no contract with me saying that they have control over my property.

How can you now dictate to us? You don't own the forum, you are not a regulatory body, and you have no contract with me. Yet I, who bow down to the Tesla overlords (such drama!), must go elsewhere? Maybe take your own advice?

In any event, good for you for taking control of your car, and telling others how to do it. I wish my non-AP car was still on version 6.2. Every update has got progressively worse.

Oops, sorry, I wasn't suppose to post in your thread. Please forgive me!

thanks to green1's awesome thread and some coffee, my bench setup now also is in dev/factory mode.

View attachment 209988

Which firmware does your bench setup run?

This is NOT a widely-held interpretation of GPL.
Dead wrong. This is THE standard interpretation of the GPL. Maybe you misunderstood me.

Probably all Tesla needs to do is release the source code for the exact version of the kernel they're using and the configuration files. And supply copyright notices.
They haven't.

I agree that they probably don't need to release the code for userspace applications (...other than the GPL-licensed ones). So what? They're still piling up criminal copyright infringment penalities. It's *sloppy* and it exposes them to shareholder derivative lawsuits.

(Honestly all I wanted to to was look over their configuration settings, since I'm pretty suspicious that they have the wrong Linux config settings for realtime operation with sleep, and give them some feedback. Many eyes make bugs shallow. But noooo.)

Last edited:
Reactions: davidc18
Dead wrong. This is THE standard interpretation of the GPL. Maybe you misunderstood me.

Probably all Tesla needs to do is release the source code for the exact version of the kernel they're using and the configuration files. And supply copyright notices.
They haven't.

I agree that they probably don't need to release the code for userspace applications (...other than the GPL-licensed ones). So what? They're still piling up criminal copyright infringment penalities. It's *sloppy* and it exposes them to shareholder derivative lawsuits.

Dead wrong.

GPL doesn't require them to release the kernel version that they are using. It requires them to release any modifications they made to the kernel. If they did not modify it, then they don't have to do anything.

• Disagree
Reactions: neroden
Try reading the GPL instead of spewing nonsense. I'll wait.

Hints, since you are clearly an exceedingly slow learner:

(c) does not apply. Did you see a written offer with the car, required by (b)? Me neither. Did you see any source code with the car, required by (a)? Me neither.

Did you see any compilation configuration files? Linux has insanely large numbers of configuration options in the compilation scripts. Yes, they need to disclose which ones they used.

Seen a copyright notice with the car? Me neither. Seen a copy of the GPL with the car? Me neither.

This is basic stuff. I've bought a lot of hardware with embedded software. An example is my router. I got a cute little one page piece of paper with the GPL and a copyright notice, a written offer to mail source code for the GPL-covered components on request, and the address of a website (produced by the manufacturer) where I can download the source code (so that nobody ever requests the mailing). If anyone does request the mailing, someone at the manufacturer simply downloads that section of the website onto a CD and mails it. I can show you these for many products from Intel, Netgear, etc. It's not difficult. It's not expensive. It's a sign of *incompetence* that Tesla hasn't done it.

And yes, if they don't fix this, they will get sued. Nobody in the free software business likes to sue, they'd nearly all rather have voluntary compliance, so it'll take a long time. But it'll happen.
I don't know much about this but there seems to be smart people on both sides of the argument but if you're right why haven't they been sued? It seems like such an easy solution if you are correct.