Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My adventures in gaining control of my car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How about if there were things you could do (not everything) that aren't safety related to the OS unless you had a certification from the manufacturer? Would that satisfy you?
The manufacturer does not have the right to tell me what I can do with my property. They don't own it, they don't get to decide what things I can and can't do.

Anyway, this is once again too far off track. I said I wouldn't get in to this in this thread, so consider this my last post on that topic.

Reactions: ABC2D and davidc18
The manufacturer does not have the right to tell me what I can do with my property. They don't own it, they don't get to decide what things I can and can't do.

Anyway, this is once again too far off track. I said I wouldn't get in to this in this thread, so consider this my last post on that topic.
Fine but you opened the door in post #222. My point is there are other lives to consider in this scenario which is why the proposed solution makes sense. I also don't think who owns the software is a settled legal issue.

Interestingly enough, and to the surprise of many on here I'm sure, Tesla is not a government organization, so they don't make laws.
I never said anything about Tesla being a government organization, or making laws. I was talking about the government making regulations and laws.

If you don't like regulations and laws, there's absolutely nothing from stopping you from moving to the Libertarian paradise, Somalia.

I love how if I ever try to have a discussion about this issue outside of this thread people push me back to this thread.

But, I can't have a conversation about this topic in this thread because Green1 is Canadian. What the hell do I know about Canadian law?

If Green1 was from Hong Kong we wouldn't even be having this discussion. Tesla is free to reach in and disable anything the government tells them to in HK.

Fine but you opened the door in post #222. My point is there are other lives to consider in this scenario which is why the proposed solution makes sense. I also don't think who owns the software is a settled legal issue.
I think you can own a private airplane, but MUST have a certified mechanic make repairs and modifications. The Owner is not free to do whatever, but must follow rules and regulations to produce an airworthy plane. The blanket statement "If you can't modify it, you don't really own it." runs against [msnow] point that there are others lives to consider, and the long establish need to have certified mechanics working on certain machines.

Possibly they were able to decrypt the "Tesla Service" password and run their own rogue access point at which point it would connect automatically.
So I partially guessed right based on this article Tesla Responds to Chinese Hack With a Major Security Upgrade

So it would require the user to know the Tesla Guest password which isn't a big secret and they would have to manually connect once. I thought the demonstration was on a brand new Tesla so it would have been staged since it would seem more likely the person never connected to Tesla Guest.

I'm glad you haven't let people dissuade you from posting information on here. Although I'm not sure I will hack into my car, I do find it fascinating to read about. If it hasn't been done already, I wonder if it would be helpful to have a Tesla wiki? In any case, have you reached the level of sophistication to be able to change the image of your car (e.g. put custom rims on your car)? Does your image show red callipers by the way? Have you upgrade to firmware 8? Are you planning to? Sorry for all the questions.

I'm glad you haven't let people dissuade you from posting information on here. Although I'm not sure I will hack into my car, I do find it fascinating to read about. If it hasn't been done already, I wonder if it would be helpful to have a Tesla wiki? In any case, have you reached the level of sophistication to be able to change the image of your car (e.g. put custom rims on your car)? Does your image show red callipers by the way? Have you upgrade to firmware 8? Are you planning to? Sorry for all the questions.
I do not have root access, only internal network access. That gives the ability to set various variables, but not everything. Changing the images on the screens hasn't been a priority for me though it might be possible at this level.
I have reasonably reliable information that 8.0 would block setting variables without either full root, or diagnostic port access, neither of which I have yet. So 8.0 isn't going to happen yet. (Not that Tesla has offered, so far all they're showing me is the last 7.1)