Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My CA DMV registration fee jumped from $80 to $258!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just received my renewal notice from the DMV for my 2016 Model S that I bought from Tesla at the end of 2016. The "registration fee" portion of the bill went from $80 to $258!

I knew it would be increasing, but, from the latest DMV info on their site, the maximum for a vehicle worth over $60K is $175.

Note: This is in addition to a still substantial "license fee" and some smaller county/district fees

Has anyone else seen this kind of fee and understand what's going on?

P.S. When I saw the envelop from the DMV, I was hoping that it was the so-called "pre-filled application" for a red carpool decal. Excitement suddenly aborted when I looked inside.

• Funny
Reactions: SMAlset and Ulmo
Indiana has added a $150 charge for electric vehicles this year. Since I don’t pay any gas tax I think that is fair.

That doesn't make sense. ICE cars cost us all trillions in costs from environmental, social, and health. We are literally poisoning ourselves and kids. ICE cars, if they aren't abolished, need to account for these harms in the form of taxation to pay for government programs to remedy their ills.

Is it possible for your Estate to have a different Use for the vehicle, and thus have a legitimate need to buy it as something other than a legal recasting, therefore you can sell the vehicle used and put the vehicle cost depreciation into it, including the 30% drive off the lot depreciation, $1/mile depreciation, and any additional wear and tear and other problems depreciation?

Or, you could sell it to another Tesla owner with the same kind of car that sells theirs to you, and those are legitimate used cars at that point. It would be even better if both of you had cars the others wanted more than the ones you already had (if they were slightly different somehow); this seems safest, but some insurance claims would be harder and might not net as much recovery.

That reminds me of an art trick: buy an entire collection of some crappy art for cheap at some "art gallery", then later sell one item in the collection to a friend who also had a preivously cheap collection, who also sells you one of their items for some huge amount, say, $3,000,000, raising the value of both collections since the demand for that artists' art suddenly went up, then both of you donate at leisure to a charity your art collection at the newfound high values (could be another "art gallery", who finds that the "demand suddenly dried up", repeat!).

I don't know if any of these ideas would land you in jail or cause civil fines.

That reminds me of an art trick:

A more far-fetched, but legitimate scheme from a 60s TV show:

With great difficulty and cost, a stamp collector obtains the second of only two extremely valuable stamps. With the seller and an expert in the room to verify the authenticity and value, he burns one of them right in front of them.

The shocked expert asks, "Why?"
The collector responds, "Now there is only one in the world. What's it worth?"