Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My car is constantly waking and making banging noises in the garage. Am I just being paranoid or...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In my OS support I tend to get obsessive about what background tasks are performed on my systems, and to me the Tesla is a glorified version of that - a system that doesn't really turn "off" just goes into different grades of sleep based upon event conditions.

Yeah. This is why I never setup TeslaFi or anything, my OCD won't allow it. The noise is normal I'm just concerned as to why it happens constantly. I was able to stretch my cord across the garage and plug it in before I left for work, the constant wifi connect/disconnects with 2-4MB data uploads continue to happen even with the car plugged in so it seems there is def something going on which is constantly waking the vehicle.

My appointment is next Monday, we'll see what happens.

I just went out in the garage and the car is now throwing a "Safety restraint system fault" to the screen. This is the first alert in the last 4 days of this going on, not sure if it is related or not but I added it to my service appointment of course.

So I was losing over a mile per hour the last couple days... however between 4:30pm and 7:50am I only lost 5. So I just went and checked the WiFi logs and the car slept from 11pm until 7:50am with no wake ups.

This is. Odd.

C8140094-3380-4593-B8AB-E8007FE71BA6.jpeg

Mine is having same problem.
I recently got HW3 and updated to 2020.12. Not sure whether this is the cause.
The sound is normal, but I don't think having this sound such frequently is normal.
And the power is draining much faster than before. I charged full on Sunday night and 50 miles gone by sitting in the garage for less than 3 days.
Please do let me know if there is any updates from your service center. Thanks!

Reactions: fseir
There is a thread somewhere about the safety restraint system error... I've had that a few weeks ago and had service come fix it. The connector under my passenger seat was not well plugged. That's all there was. The car couldn't tell if someone was sitting in the passenger seat or not essentially. The system needs the passenger weight to make airbags deploy at the proper speed. Not saying that's your problem but it could. Now, would that explain your high voltage relay switching on every couple minutes? Mine was not doing that...

I started hearing more noises from my car after 2020.12, as well as increased loss of charge while parked with sentry off. I tried rebooting, but haven’t noticed any improvement. I’m hoping it’s a firmware bug that will get squashed quickly.

Here’s an interesting data point: after the upgrade to 2020.12, check out my data usage. It’s definitely communicating a lot more with the mothership. Probably keeping it from sleeping, too.

Attachments

• D141363A-45B0-4ED2-B58A-7D259698E2C2.png
    D141363A-45B0-4ED2-B58A-7D259698E2C2.png
    120.5 KB · Views: 55