Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My car was "keyed" :(

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why would I want to drive an expensive car, when a cheaper car does the job as well?
Why would I want to wear expensive clothes, when I can buy the same at GoodWill for $4?
Whey would I want to eat restaurant food, when I can make the same or better at home-- for a small fraction of the cost?
That's pretty much how I saved up enough to buy 2 Model S90Ds with cash last year.
Work 2 or 3 jobs, never go on vacation; never eat at restaurants; do that for 50 years, and then you can buy Teslas for cash.
Maybe not your story.
But makes perfect sense to me.

You quoted a post of mine from July of 2016. If you want to find me saying something wrong, you just need to quote my post where I predicted the EV tax credit wouldn't survive the tax overhaul and it did. Plus, there's lots more of my posts here where I've been wrong.

But I'm sticking to my position on this one. I studied hard, then worked really hard, and earned every dime I have, so no need to tell me what it takes to buy a Tesla or two. But unlike you, I enjoy eating at restaurants, going on vacation, not wearing used cloths, etc. It seems to me that you're making my point for me, since you certainly are not saying that you're representative of the vast majority of Tesla owners, are you?

The average price of a new car is $34,560.00 and we're suppose to believe that before buying a Tesla over 50% of owners didn't buy a new car previously, or if they did, they paid less than the average price? I'm pretty frugal myself but I still spent about $60k on my Tahoe hybrid in 2008, and that's double than what I took issue with. Over 50% of Tesla owners never spent $30k on a vehicle prior? Hogwash I say.

Canuck I wish we could discuss this over a Guinness or Jim Beam Black Label.

Yes, we'll need to do that so I can hear you out further. I definitely need more convincing.

Make perfect sense to me.

Not me -- but maybe after a few beers it will make more sense... ;)

Reactions: croman
You quoted a post of mine from July of 2016. If you want to find me saying something wrong, you just need to quote my post where I predicted the EV tax credit wouldn't survive the tax overhaul and it did. Plus, there's lots more of my posts here where I've been wrong.

But I'm sticking to my position on this one. I studied hard, then worked really hard, and earned every dime I have, so no need to tell me what it takes to buy a Tesla or two. But unlike you, I enjoy eating at restaurants, going on vacation, not wearing used cloths, etc. It seems to me that you're making my point for me, since you certainly are not saying that you're representative of the vast majority of Tesla owners, are you?

The average price of a new car is $34,560.00 and we're suppose to believe that before buying a Tesla over 50% of owners didn't buy a new car previously, or if they did, they paid less than the average price? I'm pretty frugal myself but I still spent about $60k on my Tahoe hybrid in 2008, and that's double than what I took issue with. Over 50% of Tesla owners never spent $30k on a vehicle prior? Hogwash I say.

Yes, we'll need to do that so I can hear you out further. I definitely need more convincing.

Not me -- but maybe after a few beers it will make more sense... ;)
Thank you Canuck.
I accept that I am not a typical one. So as you say, I am not typical of the majority of Tesla owners.
But I think that Tesla owners are not typical of expensive car buyers.
Those who buy Teslas may do so, as I did, and perhaps you did, to further Elon Musk's dream of moving the world towards sustainable transportation, yes?
Vern
P.S. Do they make drinkable beer in Canada? Either way, I'm up for buying you a round, or as many rounds as you like.

Over 50% of Tesla owners never spent $30k on a vehicle prior? Hogwash I say.

I don't know if it's right or not, but speaking for myself, I do fall into that category.
  1. 1985 - received hand-me-down 1978 Toyota Corona for $0.
  2. 1989 - received hand-me-down 1986 Toyota Corolla for $0.
  3. 1991 - Purchased 1991 Toyota Corolla, new, for $14,100.
  4. 2005 - Purchased 2005 Acura TSX, new, for $29,500.
  5. 2011 - Purchased 2008 Audi A6, used, for $28,500.
  6. 2015 - Leased 2015 Tesla Model S 85D.
Yes, I did drive the 1991 Corolla for 14 years. :eek:

And like Vern Padgett is alluding to, I do believe my frugality from years past placed me in the position to be able to get the Tesla Model S.

I guess the real question is whether the primary market for Roadster/MS/MX thus far has been unusually frugal software engineers, car people who like new tech, or some other segment. I'd be willing to concede that the majority of the people who are willing to spend time on this forum may be frugal software engineers, but I'd be surprised if 50% of Tesla buyers are. When we look at the income breakdowns for the different models, the median is a high earner and likely to enjoy spending money on nice cars, at least 50k. I personally know a number of Tesla owners, and all of them are "car guys" to some extent.

Performance is literally what put Tesla on my radar. My partner loves the efficiency and green energy and yadayada, I just love fast cars. There are several 2 seat sports cars next to my Tesla in the garage. They are slower, but I bought them for the same reason I own a Model S.

I'm a gearhead, I love having a fast car that makes other gearheads irrationally angry. I've had friends try to convince me noise is what they want, or manual shifting, or whatever other nonsense. They ignore the fact that paddle shifting noisemakers from italy are just speed from technology no different from Tesla, throwing away manual shifting because speed is better. there's a lot of gearhead Tesla owners.

I think there is room for all of us to be right.

A lot of us bought the Tesla because we were waiting for a great all-electric car, and the Roadster was too expensive or not right for a family.

Others bought because they liked high-performance luxury sports sedans like those made by Mercedes-Benz and BMW.

Reactions: Brando
A lot of us bought the Tesla because we were waiting for a great all-electric car, and the Roadster was too expensive or not right for a family.

That's me.

Others bought because they liked high-performance luxury sports sedans like those made by Mercedes-Benz and BMW.

Wait, that's me too. But no longer. Tesla has ruined me on them. Hurry up Germans and get those long range EVs out, and start building a fast charging network --- we need more competition! Actually, any competition since currently there's none for me.

Last edited:
I just don't understand this. How can people be so jealous/vindictive/angry/{insert word} that they feel compelled to do this?

There has been a political climate over the last 10 years or so that has bred envy and resentment towards anybody perceived as "wealthy". A Tesla fits that bill. You're perceived as "rich", which makes others not as fortunate think that you've stolen, manipulated, conned, and/or lied from the less fortunate to be able to achieve Tesla ownership, and they feel justified in destroying your property. It's the world we live in, unfortunately.

I hope the day comes back where owning a Tesla sparks inspiration, not envy.

Look for the silver lining??
Now you can be less attached to your near perfect car. Less concern about parking.
Thoreau questioned whether you own things or do they own you. Emotions best spent on living things and not objects.
Suspect most everyone realizes this, but most will react emotionally and then have to let it go.

Lucky for me, my Saab keyed before I bought it used and it always needs a little extra rubbing when waxing the hood. No one has ever noticed and when a tree fell on the roof ... just say the small dents always remind me what a "strong little tank" this car is. Again, I seem to be the only one that knows. Until now.

• Helpful
Reactions: Vern Padgett
I just discovered this thread. My Tesla was keyed last year.

I have a Blackvue dashcam, and it caught the act on video, sound, and the accelerometer.

I was able to ID the person doing it. Since the damage was well over $2500, here in Texas that’s a felony.

The person was arrested, and restitution was made to me and the insurance company.

The Blackvue was the best accessory I’ve ever owned, it’s paid for itself many times over.

Now you can be less attached to your near perfect car. Less concern about parking.
Thoreau questioned whether you own things or do they own you. Emotions best spent on living things and not objects.
Suspect most everyone realizes this, but most will react emotionally and then have to let it go.

Lucky for me, my Saab keyed before I bought it used and it always needs a little extra rubbing when waxing the hood. No one has ever noticed and when a tree fell on the roof ... just say the small dents always remind me what a "strong little tank" this car is. Again, I seem to be the only one that knows. Until now.
Thank you Brando.
Those are wise words.
Henry Thoreau, wise man.
He saw a man carrying all he owned in 5 boxes and bundles.
He felt sorry for him, not that he owned so little, but that he owned so much.
"Great box, small box, band box, and bundle-- throw away the first three, at least" -- Henry Thoreau, Walden.
Thank you for reminding me, Brando.
Vern

I just discovered this thread. My Tesla was keyed last year.

I have a Blackvue dashcam, and it caught the act on video, sound, and the accelerometer.
I was able to ID the person doing it. Since the damage was well over $2500, here in Texas that’s a felony.
The person was arrested, and restitution was made to me and the insurance company.
The Blackvue was the best accessory I’ve ever owned, it’s paid for itself many times over.
I'll buy one for my wife's red car. Any advice on how to purchase?

Thinking a lot about one thing that you brought up.
Should we pay many thousands of dollars to Moe to repaint half the car, or
leave the gouging as is
and carry on?

A security guard told me that I should rub a bit of brake fluid on the gouge, and that would even up the paint. Ever heard of that?

I'll buy one for my wife's red car. Any advice on how to purchase?
My condolences on the incident. I've always been hesitant when parking in the area (there's a destination charger nearby but the spots are WAY too tight). I ordered the BlackVue dashcam on Amazon and had it installed at Al and Ed's Autosound in West Hollywood (it was a bit of a drive but they did an excellent job). I'll send you a PM with more details tomorrow.

That area in Orange seems nice, but if you look at a lot of the alleys nearby they're covered in graffiti.

• Helpful
Reactions: TaoJones
Car damage left rear door and left panel close up.JPG

I was told by our district attorney's office that the attorney representing the person who keyed my car asserted "It should just buff out". They told me that the defense attorney actually came and looked at my car in the garage at my workplace. Since it's a public place, I guess he needed to be convinced there was actual damage. The repair shop charged approx $3k, and when they were finished you couldn't tell it had ever been keyed.

It was down to the metal.....

IMO, the resale value would be greatly impaired if obvious key marks are there. You don't want to spend that amount of money to get a keyed up car, even a used one.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: Vern Padgett
View attachment 268893

I was told by our district attorney's office that the attorney representing the person who keyed my car said "It should just buff out". It was down to the metal.....

See, it's *sugar* like that that makes me want to take justice upon myself. If that's the attorney's position, I'd key his car something fierce, and then remind him that it'll just buff right out. Dickhead.

Reactions: SomeJoe7777
Sorry to hear that happened to you guys who got keyed. It's bad on so many levels... I'd mostly dread the prolonged Body Shop visit while I drive a gasser again. That would suck.... Mine is 4 years old now, and it's got a few scratches and scuffs and I don't worry about it so much as I did, but for it to have happened when it was new would've killed me.

Last edited: