Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Carvana Experience

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Full disclosure: I'm not an employee/affiliate of Carvana (or DriveTime) nor am I receiving any kickbacks for this post.

I recently purchased a 2014 MS85 from Carvana and have received several questions about buying off Carvana. I figured that I should provide some insight into purchasing a Tesla form Carvana based on my experience.

Before buying a Tesla from Carvana DO YOUR RESEARCH. Carvana does a poor job of tracking the actual model trim levels. Often a standard trim model will be listed as a "P" model or a "D" model. Features like AP is also not shown in the car listing. Use the 360 degree view to look for the various features instead (e.g. AP cameras/sensors/radar, trim badge on the rear). Also use the interior view to look around inside and check out the highlights. The highlights will also clue you in to what options the car was delivered with (e.g. power trunk + premium nav = tech package). Once you narrow it down to the car you want, you'll have to pull the trigger and purchase the car. You will only get to inspect the Tesla when you pick it up, but you also have a 7-day return window if you're not happy with it. There's also a 100-day 4189 mile warranty provided by SilverRock that comes with all Carvana purchases.

The purchase process itself was smooth and hassle free. No haggling, no hidden fees, etc - only sales tax. I traded in my wife's Nissan NV3500 HD van for it (can't justify keeping a 12-person van for a family of four) in the process and Carvana gave me a good trade in offer (they revised it up after getting updated info on the van). Carvana provides direct financing through Bridgecrest Acceptance and in my case, their financing terms were reasonable.

Delivery - I picked up the car at the local Carvana "vending machine" because delivery was not available on the date I wanted. Give it a good once over and note any defects with the Carvana rep - they may offer to have the issues fixed. You'll have the final say whether to take it or walk away at that point. If you decide to take it, there's the 7-day return policy that you have the option of using if you find more issues.

The car I picked had some minor issues (IC bubbling and a squeaky subcool fan) but I decided that it was a keeper and that I could deal with the issues through the warranty, since I could not get an appointment at the SC within the 7-day return.

I finally got an estimate from the local SC with the cost of repairs. Tesla also mentioned that they will not deal with 3rd party warranties - and that pissed me off. Called SilverRock was lucky enough to get transferred to a claims adjuster. She said that they "deal with Tesla all the time" and have me take the car down to the SC and provided me specific instructions to the service advisor assigned to my case to call them and get authorization. That took care of most of it so I had the SC replace the IC and the subcool fan (total was $1600). When I got the notification to come pick up the car (I had been riding Uber on Tesla's vouchers for about a week) Tesla once again texted me that they did not deal with 3rd party warranties. Went down to the SC anyway and had them call SilverRock for payment - which was taken care of pretty quickly and I went along my merry way.

Transferring the ownership required an email to Tesla with the following:
  • scan/copy of ID (front and back)
  • scan/copy registration paperwork (must match ID)
  • email address (use the same one as your Tesla account if you already set it up)
  • phone number
  • type of purchase (i.e. 3rd party - Carvana)
Ownership was transferred in about 9 days for me, along with the free unlimited supercharging that should come with a pre 2017 MS.

Overall, I'm happy with my purchase experience with Carvana. The staff were helpful and were willing to work with me to get all the issues. Only thing would have done different is to have them extend the 7-day return until I got the chance to bring the car to the SC for an inspection -- some owners on this forum mentioned that they were granted the extension for the same reason.

I hope this long post goes to help you guys when you're looking for a used Tesla.

FYI, DriveTime is the parent company of Carvana, SilverRock and Bridecrest.

Last edited:
Often a standard trim model will be listed as a "P" model or a "D" model.
Isn't that, you know, kinda sorta fraudulent practice? I mean, I get that they process a large volume of cars, and things can fall through the cracks, etc, etc, but at the end of the day if you sell someone one thing but deliver something different, you're not fulfilling your contracts. Once or twice is one thing, but if it tends to be something they normally do, that leans to the "fraudulent practice" side.

Reactions: LN1_Casey
Isn't that, you know, kinda sorta fraudulent practice? I mean, I get that they process a large volume of cars, and things can fall through the cracks, etc, etc, but at the end of the day if you sell someone one thing but deliver something different, you're not fulfilling your contracts. Once or twice is one thing, but if it tends to be something they normally do, that leans to the "fraudulent practice" side.

From what I saw, the trim mismatch on the listing went both ways. Sometimes a higher trim level is listed as a base model while other listings of a lower level trim car show up as a P or D model just because the middle numbers match.

My take is that they use the data submitted by the seller and don't QC the listing after they receive the car. I tried to poke around to "test sell" my car and the only options I got to select from were the "base" and the "P85 sedan". (Incidentally this was the same on KBBs site for the 2014 model year...must have been how they were coded by Tesla back then).

What I saw was that Carvana itself has problems with mostly young and inexperienced staff that don't know much about the trim details of most cars to be able to correct the listings of everything they sell. They seem to just verify the features when they check it and confirm it on the website listings.

BTW, the only complaint I had for my car was that it was badly detailed at delivery. Lots of compound residue in the gaps, and buffer swirls in some areas that were missed. Again, I chalk it up to inexperienced staff.

I guess Carvana is trying to keep their wages under control by hiring inexperienced people since their sales model is centered around their online purchase experience. Don't need experienced sales people to do that, just some younger kids (most of them seemed to be 20+yo college kids - probably because they are right by ASU) to handle basics like staging the car, delivery, and paperwork.

Last edited:
Reactions: pedriscoll
From what I saw, the trim mismatch on the listing went both ways. Sometimes a higher trim level is listed as a base model while other listings of a lower level trim car show up as a P or D model just because the middle numbers match.

My take is that they use the data submitted by the seller and don't QC the listing after they receive the car. I tried to poke around to "test sell" my car and the only options I got to select from were the "base" and the "P85 sedan". (Incidentally this was the same on KBBs site for the 2014 model year...must have been how they were coded by Tesla back then).

What I saw was that Carvana itself has problems with mostly young and inexperienced staff that don't know much about the trim details of most cars to be able to correct the listings of everything they sell. They seem to just verify the features when they check it and confirm it on the website listings.

BTW, the only complaint I had for my car was that it was badly detailed at delivery. Lots of compound residue in the gaps, and buffer swirls in some areas that were missed. Again, I chalk it up to inexperienced staff.

I guess Carvana is trying to keep their wages under control by hiring inexperienced people since their sales model is centered around their online purchase experience. Don't need experienced sales people to do that, just some younger kids (most of them seemed to be 20+yo college kids - probably because they are right by ASU) to handle basics like staging the car, delivery, and paperwork.
How'd you get the SC to service the car before ownership was transferred to you? I purchased a 2016 75D and they wouldn't touch the car before it was in my name.

I had mine serviced after the transfer went through.
Oh your statement in your previous post confused me.

The car I picked had some minor issues (IC bubbling and a squeaky subcool fan) but I decided that it was a keeper and that I could deal with the issues through the warranty, since I could not get an appointment at the SC within the 7-day return.

I have seen this on so many sites selling used Teslas. If you think SCs and sales people mess up on Tesla info imagine someone at (insert dealership/website name) trying to get things correct. Not trying to defend and maybe you are right but I just think there is too much to know. Or maybe they just want to drive the most views; you could be right.

I have seen this on so many sites selling used Teslas. If you think SCs and sales people mess up on Tesla info imagine someone at (insert dealership/website name) trying to get things correct. Not trying to defend and maybe you are right but I just think there is too much to know. Or maybe they just want to drive the most views; you could be right.
I think you are right about that. The Mercedes dealer I bought my S from new almost nothing about it or the equipment it had. The salesman Skyped so I could watch him go thru the menus and verify it had EAP. I had him connect to dealership wifi so it would update and set charging schedule and limit. Had no idea the car had FSD purchased until I got a copy of window sticker from Tesla.

Reactions: VT_EE
Great write up, very informative.

One important thing to add is that you will not be able to talk with anyone at Carvana who has seen the car in person if you're buying outside your local market. That has been the most frustrating part for me, aside from lengthy delays. There is only a general customer service email/number, you will get a new rep (in Arizona) every time and there's no direct line to wherever your car sits.

I had mine serviced after the transfer went through.

Service?? There's service? What'd they do, anyway? I imagine they charged you a chunk and checked the windshield wipers.

You do know that there is no maintenance and no service required, right? I have my second and third Teslas there in the picture. It's been seven total years and 165,000 cumulative miles and NO SERVICE. Amazing how people get in the habit of thinking one way, unable to change, insisting that service be performed.

Sure, gas cars need service. Oil changes, new filters, blah, blah, blah. Teslas only need to visit a Service Center if anything quits working. There is nothing to service.

Service?? There's service? What'd they do, anyway? I imagine they charged you a chunk and checked the windshield wipers.

You do know that there is no maintenance and no service required, right? I have my second and third Teslas there in the picture. It's been seven total years and 165,000 cumulative miles and NO SERVICE. Amazing how people get in the habit of thinking one way, unable to change, insisting that service be performed.

Sure, gas cars need service. Oil changes, new filters, blah, blah, blah. Teslas only need to visit a Service Center if anything quits working. There is nothing to service.
I'd like to say that Tire Rotation, wipers, battery replacement in fobs, are "services" all of which can be done by self or SC, depends on how savvy the owner is.

True. Your comment reminds me of the time I bought my M3 from the clueless Hyundai dealership...

• Funny
Reactions: VT_EE
Welcome to the club, ex Honda guy! :)

Oh...
tenor.gif

:D :D :D

I purchased two cars and sold one so far from Carvana in a year.

1) Financing: Easy to finance if you have an overall or better score. Downpayment could change dramatically according to your score.

2) Car: Tesla Model S 2015 - Exterior and Interior photos very good and you get what you see

3) Car Specs: I believe it's a Tesla specific problem. Carvana doesn't know what they are selling. Written specs can lead you to make the wrong decision. By the way, the car I purchased has more specs than they stated on their website. But sometimes, specs could be less as well. Be cautious. If you ask specific questions to customer service, probably they would not know the answer. I tried. Additionally, Tesla Call won't give you single answer before you transfer the ownership. It's like owning an Iphone without the Internet. The car becomes useless or not fully functioning, I can say. When you buy Tesla, you want to summon the vehicle, use the supercharger, use Tesla APP. But not before the transfer of ownership, my friend! VIN does not say anything. They won't tell you a single spec about your car from your VIN. I tried and failed, at least..

4) Mechanical Issues: I had mechanical issues with my two cars. The first one was MB ML 350, and the car stayed at the dealership like a week, even the steering wheel changed. BUT, I did not pay anything for that.
With Tesla, I am currently having different problems. Like around 70 miles car start to vibrate, speakers are not working well, driver seat shifting forward when you brake! The Steering wheel is worn so much! I asked the replacement and repair from their warranty company, Silverrock. It's been nearly four days, my car sitting at Facility. Tesla first prepared an estimate, silverrock asked from adjuster to inspect, now we are waiting for him to finalize his report. We'll see how it goes. I'll write another comment when I receive the car.

5) More Tesla Knowledge: Carvana needs to know more information about what they are selling. I picked up the car from Philadelphia and starting driving to NY with 110 miles charge. I was thinking that I am going to find a supercharger on my way and charge it up. The guy working at Carvana told me that you should able to supercharge it right away. But you can't do it before you transfer the ownership at Tesla. However, after having 3-4 calls with Tesla Call Center, they were able to make the transfer in 5 minutes; however, in normal conditions, it takes around 3-4 business days, I suppose. So make your plan before picking up the car. They agree to make the transfer after having three different calls.

6) When it comes to Tesla, the production month says lots of things. They need to mention production month! The month is everything.

Great write up, very informative.

One important thing to add is that you will not be able to talk with anyone at Carvana who has seen the car in person if you're buying outside your local market. That has been the most frustrating part for me, aside from lengthy delays. There is only a general customer service email/number, you will get a new rep (in Arizona) every time and there's no direct line to wherever your car sits.

That is correct. I was on the phone on an issue of badging and features issues and they couldn't resolve it. Tesla Jacksonville would not provide me info on the VIN since I wasn't the owner yet to verify the details. I ended up canceling the order and get another one that matched the description.

Is there a thread on selling to carvana?

carvana is picking up my Tesla on Saturday. I’ll let you know how it goes. So far it’s been easy. They quoted me $1500 more then Tesla and over $3000 more then vroom. So far it’s been easy, just uploaded pictures of the requested documents. They require a screenshot of your original Tesla motor vehicle agreement from your Tesla account so they can validate features. They also require a picture of the main screen to prove that it functions.

• Informative
Reactions: odguy