Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My center console

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wouldn't pay over $19.99. ;) I think you'd sell quite a few at $20. Could you curve the bottom edges of the tray? I'd like to throw change in there and I know I would struggle to retrieve coins as is. With a curve I could slide them up the side to grab them.

Funny the kid had the same thought. This is his latest revision. Is that bottom bevel sufficient?

IMG_20180607_120253679_HDR.jpg

Would you pay $20 for that tray? Just trying to determine fair price.
Thanks,
CJ

Maybe your kiddo should find a different not-for-profit summer project because this is totally the type of thing he could turn a nice profit on. Don't get me wrong, I'd want to spend as little as possible too, but a set like this (console inserts, cup inserts, phone dock) could be listed on the Tesla website at $80-100 and people would still buy it. The center tray itself could go for $40 easily. Look how many of us got duped by the cheap plastic aero cap kit that feels like it should have cost $10-15 instead of $50.

Maybe your kiddo should find a different not-for-profit summer project because this is totally the type of thing he could turn a nice profit on. Don't get me wrong, I'd want to spend as little as possible too, but a set like this (console inserts, cup inserts, phone dock) could be listed on the Tesla website at $80-100 and people would still buy it. The center tray itself could go for $40 easily. Look how many of us got duped by the cheap plastic aero cap kit that feels like it should have cost $10-15 instead of $50.

Hi @SDKoala ,

Thanks for your concern and advise. We did broach the topic early on, but Coby was not interested in a for profit company. He is at a stage in his life where he is not yet concerned about bringing home the paycheck. And, I am perfectly happy to nurture that altruistic side of him. If he actually make any significant money from this project than so much better for his cause.

As far as setting price for the products, there is a balance between fair price based on cost and what the market will bear. While I agree with you that his price point is too low, I am trying hard not to interfere with his and his collaborator's decision process. Right now, all materials and equipments are donated by his dad. It would be interesting to see how their business plan change once they have to reinvest their own proceeds to grow the company.

Again, thanks for the support.
CJ

@chojn1, you might get your son thinking about non-PUP center console options, when that eventually happens. I predict a huge demand for something--anything!--to divide that blank center console. Assuming that's what it ends up being.

I salute your son and his cousin, and you for nurturing their non-profit avocation! Great work.

@chojn1, you might get your son thinking about non-PUP center console options, when that eventually happens. I predict a huge demand for something--anything!--to divide that blank center console. Assuming that's what it ends up being.

I salute your son and his cousin, and you for nurturing their non-profit avocation! Great work.

Thanks!
We have a few more projects in the planning stage. The non-PUP stuffs will have to wait until we actually see one to see what is needed.
Coby's webpage should be finished soon. 501c application is in progress.
First batch is completed. They need to complete a few more before packaging and shipping to Amazon.

We don't have a pre-oder list. But if you PM me I'll get a list started with people who I need to notify first when we are ready.

Thanks again for the support,
CJ

Reactions: Dr. J
Thanks!
We have a few more projects in the planning stage. The non-PUP stuffs will have to wait until we actually see one to see what is needed.
Coby's webpage should be finished soon. 501c application is in progress.
First batch is completed. They need to complete a few more before packaging and shipping to Amazon.

We don't have a pre-oder list. But if you PM me I'll get a list started with people who I need to notify first when we are ready.

Thanks again for the support,
CJ

If they are using FBA I hope they took Amazon's cut into account when pricing it. (about 20%)

That one is my version which is soft tpu. But it is customized to mine and my wife's phone. Coby is working on a universal version that will fit most phones. It will be cover in suede.

@chojn1,

Are they IPhone Xs? That’s what my wife and I have and if so I’m in for 1!

Edit: After re-reading the thread I’m in for Cupholder Inserts, Sunglasses tray and your Phone Dock if IPhone X sized/compatible.

Thanks CJ! Awesome work!

Regards,
Ski

Last edited: