Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My center console

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
....unless something else needs more flocking too.

... raises hand.

Yeah, I was somewhat surprised to see how much it cost to get going on just doing one small project like this. (update: I followed your link, and that's the best price I've seen for a "kit" to get all the parts you need to get it done... most kits I was seeing were far more expensive)

I very much like the design and execution of the part.... but I do wish it had proper flocking to protect the 2-3 pair of glasses that rotate through there.

Last edited:
@Glamisduner , @EVnut,
The procedure for flocking involves completely covering the entire surface area, allow the adhesive to set for 24 hr, then shaking off the excess flock not attached. It had been working well in the past.
But, for some reason in the last big batch, we have a few people noticing excessive flock coming off.
I'll ask the kids to re-evaluate their production to find where the problems lies. Send an
email to [email protected], they will send you another one once we make any necessary correction. That applies to anyone else noticing the same problem.
Thanks and sorry for the trouble.
CJ

@Glamisduner , @EVnut,
The procedure for flocking involves completely covering the entire surface area, allow the adhesive to set for 24 hr, then shaking off the excess flock not attached. It had been working well in the past.
But, for some reason in the last big batch, we have a few people noticing excessive flock coming off.
I'll ask the kids to re-evaluate their production to find where the problems lies. Send an
email to [email protected], they will send you another one once we make any necessary correction. That applies to anyone else noticing the same problem.
Thanks and sorry for the trouble.
CJ
Well done. Thanks CJ.

Don't know if anyone has thought to ask but with summer temps coming up for most of us Model 3 owners now for the first time and cars, especially those not using cabin overheat protection, how should we expect the various 3D printer products to hold up in these temp conditions?

• Funny
Reactions: Akikiki
Don't know if anyone has thought to ask but with summer temps coming up for most of us Model 3 owners now for the first time and cars, especially those not using cabin overheat protection, how should we expect the various 3D printer products to hold up in these temp conditions?

His SMAIset,
My stuffs survived the last Texas summer.
And if they can survive here, I am pretty sure they can survive most places.
The key is the type of plastic filament used.
PLA is generally bad (low transition temp).
ABS and PETG should do fine.
CJ

His SMAIset,
My stuffs survived the last Texas summer.
And if they can survive here, I am pretty sure they can survive most places.
The key is the type of plastic filament used.
PLA is generally bad (low transition temp).
ABS and PETG should do fine.
CJ

We get hot here too although I have cabin overheat protection on generally. When my Starbucks coffee cup is hot I have noticed the cupholder rings get soft so wanted to ask.

@hatlesssandman,

Sorry for the delay in reply, the 3/4 tray is now finally available on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07R2P3HZQ?ref=myi_title_dp

The full size tray and bin are on the way.
Thanks,
CJ

@chojn1 Awesome product. I left a review for an earlier version.

You may want to add a few more words to the title such as "Center Console Organizer". Alternatively "Insert" or "Tray" There are a lot of options when searching. Do point out what is unique about your product over the dozens available.

• Love
Reactions: chojn1 and M3totms
  • Love
Reactions: chojn1 and M3totms
@chojn1 Awesome product. I left a review for an earlier version.

You may want to add a few more words to the title such as "Center Console Organizer". Alternatively "Insert" or "Tray" There are a lot of options when searching. Do point out what is unique about your product over the dozens available.

Thanks @GenSao,

I passed along your recommendations to the kids and asked them to update their listing.
And thanks for the reviews, that would definitely help in getting their item listed.

CJ

Wow, prime one day for me, I can have it tomorrow. How many of these things did you have to send to Amazon for that kind of availability, or am I just lucky with the warehouse distribution ?

500 to 3 different warehouses, I think.
The kids are finishing up with their high school graduations and settling in for their last summer at home.
They're not going to spend much time on this project once they start college, hence the need to move this to the less labor intensive manufacturing/Amazon store front.

• Informative
Reactions: BioSehnsucht
My center console flavor of the month:

wood a.jpg
wood b.jpg

What do you think?
Also which cup holder insert design is better?
CJ

I love the burled wood look (which I had on my Avalon) but it would make me want the dash wood piece to match. I wouldn't want to see two mismatched wood looks. I like that my black interior is broken up and lightened up a bit by the wood dash trim piece and wonder if I would find the burled wood there too much and too distracting. The one thing I like about the wood over the white trim on the black and white interiors is that the natural wood doesn't reflect light as easily and is less distracting on the eyes when it's sunny. A matte burled wood would look cheap I think, so that would be my dilemma changing things up. Suppose the wood could be replaced with a similar black piece that would match the adjoining dash section and still look as if it was original and not conflict with the burled wood then.

As for the cupholders nice one piece design now! See you lost the original aluminum trim (on both the cupholder section and the whole of the console). Looks sleeker, more rich in visual feel. However, for me, I switch my sized inserts out all the time as we are ordering different drinks (hot coffees and cold drinks) so I'd still need that versatility. But yeah, nice look CJ! Always love to see what you guys are coming up with.

Last edited:
I love the burled wood look (which I had on my Avalon) but it would make me want the dash wood piece to match. I like that my black interior is broken up and lightened up a bit by the wood dash trim piece and wonder if I would find the burled wood there too much and too distracting. The one thing I like about the wood over the white trim is that is doesn't reflect light so easier and less distracting on the eyes when it's sunny. A matte burled wood would look cheap I think, so that would be my dilemma changing things up. I wouldn't want to see two mismatched wood looks. Suppose the wood could be replaced with a black piece that would match the adjoining dash section. Thinking this probably wouldn't work for me unless I saw more photos of the area modified.

As for the cupholders nice one piece design now! See you lose the original aluminum trim (on both the cupholder section and the whole of the console). Looks sleeker and more rich in texture. However for me I switch my size inserts out all the time as we are ordering different drinks (hot coffees and cold drinks) so I'd still need that versatility. But yeah, nice look CJ!

You are right about the dash ofcourse, This is the only picture with the dash I have at the moment. But it can be made to match along with the small door trim pieces. The wood looks much better in gloss. Never liked the matte wood in my old Mercedes.

wood c.jpg