Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My comparisons. My Roadster Base vs. Model X P100D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

TOBASH

Supporting Member
I know others have done it, but I guess now it's my turn.

I just picked up a Model X P100D. I have driven a Roadster for several years.

I figured I would give a comparison based on my initial observations.

Roadster is the quickest kick in the pants and the most fun I've ever had to drive.

My Model X is a super fast luxury sedan that is comfortable and enjoyable.

Roadster is Spartan. It is a race car. It is the angriest dog on the block.

My P100D Model X is luxurious, spacious, with room for the family and kids and travel bags and groceries.

While not a Lotus Exige, the Roadster is nimble aside from brakes that are too small (and required upgrades).

The P100D Model X has yaw and feels heavy in corners. It turns but prefers to go straight. It stops on a dime.

Controls on the Roadster are simple buttons and dials.

Controls on the Model X are annoyingly all on a screen.

The Roadster top comes off for fun. With the top on, visibility SUCKS.

The Model X has no sunroof. :/ Visibility is AWESOME with the super long windshield.

Roadster is so low I'm afraid to park it in public as people have tried to park on the nose.

Model X is HUGE and people see it when they park. They still try to park by touch in NYC, as if they also read Braille and need the tactile feedback (idiots).

Roadster is not seen on the road and people try to change lanes into it.

Model X is easily seen and is so wide (almost 90 inches with mirrors out) that people avoid.

Electric consumption on the Roadster with old generation battery is still up to specs and is fine. 220 on a careful distance drive and 150 on a not so careful regular drive.

Model X P100D on Ludicrous mode eats energy, but not as much as I thought. I have not yet done distance driving.

People drive up to the Roadster and ask "What is that?"

People drive up to the Model X and ask "What is that?"

People will pull up to me at lights and then try to drag in the Roadster. Pointless.

People will pull up to me at lights and then try to drag in the Model X P100D. Pointless.

I grin ear to ear when driving the Roadster. A sh-t eating grin, like I'm riding a tiger by the tail.

I smile broadly when I drive the Model X P100D, but it is a different kind of smile. Contentment with occasional wild satisfaction when I floor it and feel the G's.

Passengers love the look of the Roadster but hate getting in and out.

Passengers love the look of the Model XP100D, and getting in and out is a breeze.

I hate the fact that the Roadster cannot store the hard-top.

I HATE the gull wing doors and the loss of carrying space on the roof. An SUV needs space for roof rack and cargo carriers.

My Roadster is white, like a jar of captured greased lightning.

My Model X P100D is black, like my cold heart.

More to come, I guess.

Best,

Happy 4'th

T

Last edited:
Thanks for that. My only comment would be to say that the Roadster is a sports car, not a race car. The top speed and handling are not up to being a race car. This is fine with me as I have no interest in driving a race car. On city streets, the Roadster blows away pretty much anything except another Roadster or another high-end Tesla.

The air cooled motor on Roadster isn't great for racing as it can overheat if pushed hard repeatedly with no cool-down.

Also, as stated, the stock brakes struggle with that kind of hard driving as well.

Not just the motor: The PEM is air-cooled also. Mine overheated one day. Very hot day, long drive on the highway, parked for a couple of hours in the sun, then on the drive home it put up a warning. After that they put a more powerful cooling system, but still, I doubt it would do well racing. I think they learned from that and went to a liquid-cooled PEM for the Model S and X and (I hope) Model 3.

(What was really cool (no pun intended) was that I pulled off, called Tesla, they remotely pulled the logs, figured out that it was okay to drive home as long as I drove slowly and kept an eye on the temp indicator, and I got home.)

Reactions: dhrivnak
My Model X is a super fast luxury sedan that is comfortable and enjoyable.

Just to nitpick: Tesla cars are not *yet* Luxurious, still waiting for that update option. Top nitch suspension, interior design, and noise level would be where I would place my buck (when ordering).

Just to nitpick: Tesla cars are not *yet* Luxurious, still waiting for that update option. Top nitch suspension, interior design, and noise level would be where I would place my buck (when ordering).

My is a Model X P100D:

Not noisy
I have vented seats... one of the last ones
My dash is suede and wood. Looks great.
I have an air suspension.
Looks NOTHING like a Model S refresh
I don't need a Rolls Royce, and compared to my BMW Model X6 Performance M Package (with 470 HP) this interior and stereo measure well.

As far as all the other guys...

Thanks for the input BUT... I know exactly what the Roadster is... It is a fun car. Yes, the PEM heats up, and yes the brakes require upgrade, and yes, etc, etc, etc... It is still the angriest dog on the block, and not much can touch it. It is fun, nimble and super enjoyable. My comparison was meant to illustrate that in a light hearted manner, not act as a lightning rod for all the complaints about deficiencies.

If and when I try to race it in Monaco, then perhaps I will worry about all the other points brought out.

Happy Fourth of July 2017 Guys!

I will be driving at least one of these cars like I stole it, (until bumper to bumper traffic slows me down).

I hope you all have a great holiday!

T

Reactions: Mark77a and hcsharp
Thanks for the input BUT... I know exactly what the Roadster is... It is a fun car. Yes, the PEM heats up, and yes the brakes require upgrade, and yes, etc, etc, etc... It is still the angriest dog on the block, and not much can touch it. It is fun, nimble and super enjoyable. My comparison was meant to illustrate that in a light hearted manner, not act as a lightning rod for all the complaints about deficiencies.

I enjoyed your comparisons. I just wanted to correct that it's a sports car, not a race car. I don't want a race car. I love my Roadster. Oh, and my Roadster is not an angry dog. My Roadster is a cross between a golden retriever and a greyhound. Fast, but friendly. :)

My is a Model X P100D:

Not noisy
I have vented seats... one of the last ones
My dash is suede and wood. Looks great.
I have an air suspension.
Looks NOTHING like a Model S refresh
I don't need a Rolls Royce, and compared to my BMW Model X6 Performance M Package (with 470 HP) this interior and stereo measure well.

As far as all the other guys...

If and when I try to race it in Monaco, then perhaps I will worry about all the other points brought out.

Happy Fourth of July 2017 Guys!

I will be driving at least one of these cars like I stole it, (until bumper to bumper traffic slows me down).

I hope you all have a great holiday!

T
thanks man for this write up. i'm an original roadster owner and u nailed it. been wanting to add an X. u just might have tipped me over! keep on trucking'
chris

• Love
Reactions: TOBASH
I know others have done it, but I guess now it's my turn.
I just picked up a Model X P100D. I have driven a Roadster for several years.

Love this! Its one comparison that I'd really love to do too. I've been eyeing a very orange roadster for so long and I am nearly certain my review would be similar to yours....if I only had the chance. ;)

Happy 4th to you too!

Reactions: TOBASH
Follow-up after half a year....

Roadster predicts mileage much better!!!Also, I prefer the Roadster's aggressive deceleration from the motor as it reclaims energy. In city stop and go traffic the more aggressive nature of the power reclamation almost eliminates the need for a foot brake. The model X does not reclaim as aggressively so is not as good as the Roadster in traffic.

The Model X requires three power reclamation modes. AGGRESSIVE/Standard/less aggressive. Much in the same way we have 3 power driving modes for ludicrous/standard/and whatever the mild is called.

Best,

T

Reactions: ra88it
Review 2.5 years later...

Model X is a monster but battery degradation is more rapid than my roadster. In 2 years I lost 20 miles. Bad bad bad.

Less issues with Roadster than Model X... Lots of Model X issues.

Model X holds a ton of supplies in the rear compartment, more with the rear seat flipped down.

Foam inserts in the Model X tires lead to issues and required replacement.

Roadster is more fun BUT Model X is more practical.

Supercharging allows longer trips BUT is slow.

About to install JdeMO in Roadster, so not sure how that will go.

App for Model X kicks @$$.

I don't have upgraded OVMS so that sucks for Roadster.

Model X bodywork requires special attention. Aluminum SUCKS for repairs and costs 10's of thousands for relatively simple issues.

Bodywork on Roadster is easy to get anywhere.

Roadster is problem with speed bumps and potholes.

Model X has adjustable suspension, which is terrific.

Model X Autostear and adaptive cruise are awesome WHEN THEY WORK. Snow and rain and very bright sunlight and they shut down.

Roadster SIMPLE cruise control NEVER shuts down unless you want it to.