Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Custom Car Mount Solution

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since deciding on purchasing my CPO, I spent a lot of time researching phone mount solutions. For the past couple of cars, I used ProClips, which are high quality, highly functional and not cheap. I am not a fan of Proclips solution for the Tesla which clips onto to the center screen and blocks access to the volume buttons. I also hate vent mounts and magnet mounts as when I am stopped at at a red light, I find it uncomfortable to type with my arm straight and much prefer to rest my arm on the armrest and type on a phone that is mounted lower. My solution is the Evvanex Center Console Insert (which I was getting anyway) and a Belkin Cup Phone Holder (Belkin Car Cup Holder Mount for Smartphones - Black Amazon.com: Belkin Car Cup Holder Mount for Smartphones - Black: Cell Phones & Accessories).

I also purchased the second cup holder but the problem with putting the mount there is it will block a storage tray from pulling out which I plan on getting as well. I don't think I will need 3 functional cup holders anyway as I don't drink often in my car. If I need another one for a long trip, I stored the extra one in my frunk. I would much rather use that storage compartment for my sunglasses.

Attachments

• IMG_0191.JPG
    IMG_0191.JPG
    278 KB · Views: 163
Since deciding on purchasing my CPO, I spent a lot of time researching phone mount solutions. For the past couple of cars, I used ProClips, which are high quality, highly functional and not cheap. I am not a fan of Proclips solution for the Tesla which clips onto to the center screen and blocks access to the volume buttons. I also hate vent mounts and magnet mounts as when I am stopped at at a red light, I find it uncomfortable to type with my arm straight and much prefer to rest my arm on the armrest and type on a phone that is mounted lower. My solution is the Evvanex Center Console Insert (which I was getting anyway) and a Belkin Cup Phone Holder (Belkin Car Cup Holder Mount for Smartphones - Black Amazon.com: Belkin Car Cup Holder Mount for Smartphones - Black: Cell Phones & Accessories).

I also purchased the second cup holder but the problem with putting the mount there is it will block a storage tray from pulling out which I plan on getting as well. I don't think I will need 3 functional cup holders anyway as I don't drink often in my car. If I need another one for a long trip, I stored the extra one in my frunk. I would much rather use that storage compartment for my sunglasses.

I send text messages via my Alexa/Echo Dot. It's all done by voice -- no need to touch the phone. I use the AT&T text skill for this.

If you are looking for a reasonable priced cubby drawer pm me I will send a photo

I purchased two of the Belkin Car Cup Holders about a month ago (one for me and one for my wife) and they both broke. Be very careful how tightly you clamp them in your cupholder. The mechanics are fragile.

I purchased two of the Belkin Car Cup Holders about a month ago (one for me and one for my wife) and they both broke. Be very careful how tightly you clamp them in your cupholder. The mechanics are fragile.

Thanks I've heard about them from reviews. Any cup holder mount will do for my setup. I wanted one that was easy to put phone back in and out of without pressing release buttons. I put a screw in the metal piece that expands in the Belkin mount which allows it to stay just the right size for me to slide the phone in and out of easily.

I went with the pro clips mount on the vent which I prefer. I need my phone in easy line of sight without taking my eyes off the road as I use Waze all the time and also stream music and audiobooks from my phone. I've tried using Slacker but the music sucks generally.

I went with the pro clips mount on the vent which I prefer. I need my phone in easy line of sight without taking my eyes off the road as I use Waze all the time and also stream music and audiobooks from my phone. I've tried using Slacker but the music sucks generally.

Yeah I considered this route. it's either have a better line of sight with a vent/magnet or better typing position. I use the Waze for Tesla dashboards now on my center screen, so I am trying to get out of the habit of using Waze. I relied on audio alerts for Waze anyway. I agree Slacker is not as good as SiriusXM, which I have also. My subscription for SiriusXM is up in March, but I love listening to Howard Stern, so I might be renewing that as well.