Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My delivery postponed, Model Y going to the bodyshop

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I get a call yesterday saying my MY is going to be delivered today. This morning I get another call saying after inspection, they found a quality control issue and that the car is going to a body shop to get repaired. He didn't elaborate exactly on what the issue was and said it's likely a fitment issue with the trims, etc.

Anyone else have similar experiences? Thoughts?

It happens on some cars. The first Model 3 that was presented to us needed to go to have a small dent repaired that was from a tow strap on the transport truck. Tesla matched us with a different car before that one was finished but I did see it later and it was perfect.

Hmmm.. definitely sounds like there's some quality control issues with these first lots of MYs.

Update - just got a text saying my delivery is scheduled tentatively for Thursday now lol.

At least they were honest with you. If there are issues I understand. I don’t mind at all. What I do mind is that they’ve told me two different things. First, it needs a longer inspection. Second, they are now saying it requires a firmware update. What firmware update takes 8 days.

At least they were honest with you. If there are issues I understand. I don’t mind at all. What I do mind is that they’ve told me two different things. First, it needs a longer inspection. Second, they are now saying it requires a firmware update. What firmware update takes 8 days.

Haha I got the same excuses and also guy said “it’s the first batch so Tesla doesn’t wanna mess it up for PR issues”. I just hope I get it sat. The wait is killing me. Ppl worried about COVID and I want my Tesla lol

Reactions: hutsy
Hi, same exact thing, Blue LR AWD 20” induction. I got a text on Friday or Saturday with delivery for today, Monday, but then got a call on Sunday saying that they found something on inspection that needed to be repaired. He said that it was good they caught it before delivery so that it could be delivered in the condition we would expect from a new car. Even though I’m slightly bummed that it’s delayed until possibly Friday, I’m happy that they’re being proactive and fixing issues. There was some other posts about a panel gap issue on the driver side rear quarter panel where the trunk meets the tail lights that I suspect might be the issue. But, they said they could do home delivery and maybe with the slow down they’re able to deploy people to fix issues and deliver cars instead

There are many reports in other threads that the issue is a back seat latch. In photos you can see back seats that are misaligned. Not a major issue but it will take some time for them to come up with a fix and send it out to all the delivery centers. I'm thinking days, not weeks unless they need to replace the whole seat back.

I'm wondering if it has anything to do with the back seat release switches in the hatch area. There have been many videos posted on youtube of people demonstrating that the switches don't flop the seats down every time successfully.

Same happened to me, they said paint was the issue. The delivery date was moved forward a week to this Saturday.
I find it interesting that they said the day before that it was "cleared for delivery" but then said it wasn't. They must do a final detail on the cars and find things wrong. We will see if they can come through this weekend.

I have similar issues. My saga:
I won the lottery! No, not that one, the Tesla runaround lottery! First I received a text last Saturday that I would be receiving my car the next day. But I had no loan, no contract, so no go. But I had a VIN. Then they texted for me to sign a contract Yay! But it wasn't for the same VIN, but hey it is a Tesla!. Then yesterday, with a contract signed on line, they did an electronic transfer of my down payment and I would see the car today. But wait! There's more! At 5:01 PM yesterday I receive a text (remember they close at 5 PM) that my cosigner needed to sign the contract. My beautiful wife has never seen an email to sign, and her account does not link to our RN number. So today, I get a call saying they will deliver the car and we can sign here! Only they called a couple of hours ago and said it needed to go back to the paint shop, and then at 4:47 PM today I get a text: TESLA DELIVERY UPDATE - The vehicle currently assigned to your account does not match your configuration. This VIN will be removed and a new vehicle of the correct configuration will be assigned once available. We apologize for any inconvenience. I know these people are working hard, but seriously?"

So no Tesla, they have my down payment, and the factory is closed!

• Informative
D708A633-C7DD-47C0-AE82-AF45E0A64E45.jpeg
7CA4F1BC-EBE3-48A3-91E6-65388D8381DE.jpeg
Tesla called yesterday and said they had openings for delivery. Got my car. Here are pics from the new Superchargers in Novato (appear close to, but not operational).

I have similar issues. My saga:
I won the lottery! No, not that one, the Tesla runaround lottery! First I received a text last Saturday that I would be receiving my car the next day. But I had no loan, no contract, so no go. But I had a VIN. Then they texted for me to sign a contract Yay! But it wasn't for the same VIN, but hey it is a Tesla!. Then yesterday, with a contract signed on line, they did an electronic transfer of my down payment and I would see the car today. But wait! There's more! At 5:01 PM yesterday I receive a text (remember they close at 5 PM) that my cosigner needed to sign the contract. My beautiful wife has never seen an email to sign, and her account does not link to our RN number. So today, I get a call saying they will deliver the car and we can sign here! Only they called a couple of hours ago and said it needed to go back to the paint shop, and then at 4:47 PM today I get a text: TESLA DELIVERY UPDATE - The vehicle currently assigned to your account does not match your configuration. This VIN will be removed and a new vehicle of the correct configuration will be assigned once available. We apologize for any inconvenience. I know these people are working hard, but seriously?"

So no Tesla, they have my down payment, and the factory is closed!

meow that’s crazy.