Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My delivery SUCKED and how I feel 1 month later...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So...I had several issues at delivery like scratched paint, misaligned FWD, misaligned hood, etc. The way I was treated when I brought these things up to the delivery manager got me so mad I almost didn't take delivery...but I did.

I have had my 75D for a month now and I can't express how happy I am I took delivery. This car is like something that was sent from the future. The technology, acceleration, and features in this car makes my wife's 2018 Volvo XC90 feel like a '76 Ford Pinto.

After some time to reflect, I must admit I wasn't fair to Tesla upon delivery. Like most buyers, I scoured the forums prior to delivery and was on guard when the delivery day finally came. I scrutinized my X like no other car I have ever purchased. Hell, I had a Model X Delivery Checklist in hand to pick apart the car. I previously had a $70,000 pick-up truck that I never once looked for paint defects or misaligned panels, nor did I have a checklist to use during delivery. I had unrealistic expectations that my X would be PERFECT because it costs $100,000. People, there is no such thing as perfect. If those are your expectations going into delivery, you will be disappointed. I am not totally giving Tesla a pass b/c they are only a 10 year old company, but to expect the same fit and finish as a 100+ year old company is not fair. I agree they still have some work to do and can certainly improve but I knew what I was getting myself into when I signed on to be the part of growing a company and changing the future of cars and emissions. I write this as I have to drive 300 miles back to the SC to get some of these issues resolved. It's not ideal, but not it's life shattering either.

Here's my point...does Tesla have room for improvement on fit and finish? Yes. Are there bugs with a rolling computer? Absolutely! I would ask people to stop and think about their expectations. There are a few rare examples where there were so many items Tesla bought the car back. How many cars have you purchased where you had a checklist ready to pick apart every inch of the car? The irony is I sell million dollar homes and tell Buyers all the time the home will never be perfect. Yet I expected my X to be perfect. Is that fair?

I know what you mean. I think the forums put you in a poor mind set that, oh no, not me, not that horror story for me.
Luckily my delivery went smooth.

So glad you posted this. Be nice to see other folks with bumpy deliveries in how they feel after the dust settles.

Reactions: Guy V
Yep. Most happy owners are enjoying their Tesla. So they are busy and don’t have times to go to the forum to post something positive.

This is very true. I was on here all the time before I got my car. But life gets in the way of constantly coming back when you have better things to do ... like drive your tesla :p

My experience wasn't perfect, check my delivery thread. I still would do it again in a heartbeat. Once you have it for a while, the small panel fitment issues, scratches and other things just kind of go away. I even scratched my steering wheel pretty badly myself with my finger nail on accident. That bothers me most, but I'm slowly getting over it.

I'm basically already back into the mindset of "it's just another car" in terms of how much I worry about things, but boy is it a GREAT "just another car" to own.

I scrutinized my X like no other car I have ever purchased. Hell, I had a Model X Delivery Checklist in hand to pick apart the car. I previously had a $70,000 pick-up truck that I never once looked for paint defects or misaligned panels, nor did I have a checklist to use during delivery. I had unrealistic expectations that my X would be PERFECT because it costs $100,000. People, there is no such thing as perfect.

This is a behavior i've only seen with Teslas. I dont know about others, but anytime ive ever bought a new car before, never once did inspect the car with a fine tooth comb like some of these people. The fact theres a delivery inspection checklist is hilarious in itself. Like really, is anyone ordering a 75D and getting a 100D and vice versa? I get some of the things on there, but checking to see if you have the right battery is just too lol-worthy. Im surprised "make sure both drive units are in there" isn't on the list.

Reactions: Richt and jboy210
I checked mine pretty closely and found some small things like seal alignments and uneven panel gaps. None of this seemed to impact the operation of the car, so I have just ignored them. Maybe someday I will get around to taking the car to the body shop to have the panel gaps looked, but right now I just am happy to have a car that makes me smile every time I drive it.

Reactions: TexasRat and Richt
I learned a lot on this forum leading up to ordering and then while I waited for delivery. However, maybe because I’m a girl, a lot of the details, were just details. On delivery day, all I could think about was abandoning my old car (traded into Tesla) and driving away in my brand new X.

It’s been two months and I can’t stop telling anyone who asks how much I love my car. There was a little something wrong with the passenger door seal and the SC was fantastic. They ordered the part and gave me a loaner while it was being fixed. Even the loaner (an S with over 100K miles), I couldn’t wait to give back because nothing compares to my X.

Could the doors be aligned better? Sure but overall, the car is amazing and I am super happy every time I drive it. I love, love my car and am so grateful to own it.

I'm glad they are assembling them better. I still bring my X in almost every quarter (after waiting for handful of things that need to be fixed). Probably about a dozen trips to the SC so far :( I hope door alignment is your worst problem.

I am a Hand Surgeon. Every surgery I perform I expect perfection and so do my patients. When I purchase something, I do not expect perfection. It is the way of the world. I did a cursory inspection and threw away the checklist (that I had printed out), as I felt it was somewhat unreasonable.

This is not the first expensive car I have purchased and neither my Tesla X nor my other car was perfect. However I love my Tesla X 100D and regret nothing. I am able to overlook the minor cosmetic imperfections which do not affect the enjoyment the car.

As a installer of PPF in S.F Bay Area I get to see first hand many Tesla on the day of delivery. No question in my mind that the future is here and what Tesla has done is great even with the minor cosmetic imperfections, I am sure as we go along these imperfections will go a way and we will have a car that would sit standard for the industry to follow.

Reactions: FarmerDave
I certainly didn't nit-pick the experience., even though it was very clunky (they sent us to the incorrect delivery center for starters). The driver's-side door didn't even properly close from day-one. Anyway, it's in the service center for the third time in 30 days (only had the car for 30 days).

I understand bugs, delivery, demanding customers, etc -- heck, I have three software companies -- but, goodness.

Reactions: ewakko
God, I wish everyone who started out like the OP would read his message. Honestly written with humility and context.
I have a Lexus SUV that is six years old. The fit and finish on it, when it was new, was near-perfect, but not perfect. It was 70k new. My 100D was also near-perfect--I had some panel gap inconsistencies, which Tesla fixed immediately.
But I have also rebuilt cars from the ground up and they were made of steel. Teslas are aluminum. Aluminum is difficult to work with and easy to screw up. I appreciate my car for what it is and I enjoy it every day.

I almost didn't take delivery...but I did.

I have had my 75D for a month now and I can't express how happy I am I took delivery. This car is like something that was sent from the future. The technology, acceleration, and features in this car makes my wife's 2018 Volvo XC90 feel like a '76 Ford Pinto.

This is a great post and should be required reading for everyone buying a Tesla.

God, I wish everyone who started out like the OP would read his message. Honestly written with humility and context.
I have a Lexus SUV that is six years old. The fit and finish on it, when it was new, was near-perfect, but not perfect. It was 70k new. My 100D was also near-perfect--I had some panel gap inconsistencies, which Tesla fixed immediately.
But I have also rebuilt cars from the ground up and they were made of steel. Teslas are aluminum. Aluminum is difficult to work with and easy to screw up. I appreciate my car for what it is and I enjoy it every day.

Actually Aluminum sheet is pretty easy to work with, it is just different than steel. You really can never undo a bend. I have repaired airplane sections and the procedure is often to cut, patch, and rivet, not exactly what you want on a car.

All incredibly good points. My disappointment with my delivery was just the lack of care and customer service. I've purchased cars that cost a fraction of my Model 3 and received much better customer service. I might as well have been purchasing a bicycle from Walmart with the lack of care and attention I received. I thought the experience would be just that - an experience. It wasn't. It was purely a transaction. Tesla is very fortunate that people are so thrilled with their cars once the get them, and that the buying experience isn't an indicator of the driving experience.

All incredibly good points. My disappointment with my delivery was just the lack of care and customer service. I've purchased cars that cost a fraction of my Model 3 and received much better customer service. I might as well have been purchasing a bicycle from Walmart with the lack of care and attention I received. I thought the experience would be just that - an experience. It wasn't. It was purely a transaction. Tesla is very fortunate that people are so thrilled with their cars once the get them, and that the buying experience isn't an indicator of the driving experience.

Obviously YMMV depending on the individual you're dealing with. I suggest that anyone who is unsatisfied with a SC employee's attitude first check their own style of relating to make sure that in fact you are not the problem (customers can be a monstrous pain to sales and service people). Being friendly or combative/critical can make all the difference between a helpful employee ready to go the extra mile for you or one who can't get you out of the office fast enough. That said, I'm sure Tesla headquarters would like to know how well their employees are meeting customer needs and expectations so a brief message to same would be appropriate.

I thought my Tesla delivery experience was the worst...

I ordered a Model 3. They don’t deliver to Sarasota so I rented a car and drove from Sarasota to Tampa. After waiting 5 hours in the show room (promised 30 minute pickup), they gave me the car “keys” with a car that had no battery charge and told me that I could go to a supercharger. Unfortunately there wasn’t enough battery to get to a supercharger. They quickly gave me enough charge to get me to a charger. I finally went to the retail store location in Tampa and they politely told me that that charger was only for Tesla employees.

The car was delivered with grease handprints all over the interior. Upon delivery they told me that I could wash it off with soap and water when I got home.

I signed the papers to accept delivery in the car. They were disorganized and hadn’t realized that I didn’t sign anything in the five hours I was there.

They forgot to send in the paperwork to the loan company and after 30 days the loan expired. Interest rates went up and now I pay a higher monthly payment every month. They also lost my check.

They then lost the check twice from the loan company. Someone at Tesla gave the address for a closed location. Because Tesla didn’t show payment for the car – – that was actually paid for three times – – they couldn't renew my license plates. I would call every day and they would assure me that the problem was solved. Tampa never returned a single call but finally I got someone in another office who worked on this problem. Apparently there were three people nationwide with these issues. Unfortunately I was one of them. I was not able to drive my car for two months because it did not have a license tag. I actually rented a Nissan Versa every week for the two months. You can imagine the jokes about my new “Tesla”.

The experience was very rough for sure. We discussed options for reimbursement or returning the car and decided that the best thing was to ask for the upgraded auto pilot. These notes are in my file. That seemed more than fair considering that I couldn’t drive my car for two months, have to pay extra every month for my loan (because Tesla lost the paperwork) and paid for rental cars so I could drive.

I’ve heard nothing from Tesla. They don’t return calls. They don’t respond to emails.

As for car quality, I have paint drips and a split interior leather upon delivery. No one bothers to return a call.

You can’t imagine spending an hour a day calling Tesla to try to find out when I can drive my car that was parked with no tag, paying more each month, and driving a Versa...

Tesla is a great company. When things go wrong they need to solve them. It’s absolutely the worst customer service ever!

So...I had several issues at delivery like scratched paint, misaligned FWD, misaligned hood, etc. The way I was treated when I brought these things up to the delivery manager got me so mad I almost didn't take delivery...but I did.

After some time to reflect, I must admit I wasn't fair to Tesla upon delivery. Like most buyers, I scoured the forums prior to delivery and was on guard when the delivery day finally came. I scrutinized my X like no other car I have ever purchased. Hell, I had a Model X Delivery Checklist in hand to pick apart the car. I previously had a $70,000 pick-up truck that I never once looked for paint defects or misaligned panels, nor did I have a checklist to use during delivery. I had unrealistic expectations that my X would be PERFECT because it costs $100,000. People, there is no such thing as perfect. If those are your expectations going into delivery, you will be disappointed. I am not totally giving Tesla a pass b/c they are only a 10 year old company, but to expect the same fit and finish as a 100+ year old company is not fair. I agree they still have some work to do and can certainly improve but I knew what I was getting myself into when I signed on to be the part of growing a company and changing the future of cars and emissions. I write this as I have to drive 300 miles back to the SC to get some of these issues resolved. It's not ideal, but not it's life shattering either.

Here's my point...does Tesla have room for improvement on fit and finish? Yes. Are there bugs with a rolling computer? Absolutely! I would ask people to stop and think about their expectations. There are a few rare examples where there were so many items Tesla bought the car back. How many cars have you purchased where you had a checklist ready to pick apart every inch of the car? The irony is I sell million dollar homes and tell Buyers all the time the home will never be perfect. Yet I expected my X to be perfect. Is that fair?
The only thing I expect is they treated me like a customer and not a number. Never been so belittled about spending 50k in my life. All I wanted was a little flexibility to pick up the car. Nope. Gave away my VIN cuz I was on work travel and they didn't want to hold on to it for an extra 4 days. They would rather go through assigning a new person the VIN and going thru the same *sugar* all.over again. I guarantee that car will still be there past when I wanted to pick it up. At the end of the day we are still customers....and still need to be treated like people and not numbers on a piece of paper.