Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My dilemma

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I'm faced with quite a dilemma. 2013 Model S 60 in excellent shape EXCEPT it showed a warning on the dash. "car needs service, may not restart." I set up an appointment and the estimate came back just over 14k! Went to the dealer today to have it explained. I was told it was diagnosed with a short in the main battery (they can diagnose it without me taking it in, go figure). The rebuilt battery comes with a transferrable 4 year 50k mile warranty. Asked about a trade in on a new Model 3. Dealer will only give me 7.5k. Car has MCU 2 and a replaced drive unit in 2018. So I replace the battery and drive it for a couple more years or cut bait and take my losses. What would you do??

When you say dealer offered $7500, you mean Tesla?
I’m a new Tesla 2x owner and no history with MS therefore no ownership experience
I did two trade ins

I would immediately do a test drive of a M3RWD and see if you can live with it
If you can, get one from inventory and taking the trade in $7500 off and all inventory discounts plus Fed and state tax credits, the M3RWD could end only costing you $20K

Seems logical

$14K roll the dice and sell for $19K
1689288425488.png

In my mind, not worth the hassle

I'd recommend having www.Recell-EV.com or www.057Tech.com do a battery repair or replacement. You can even upgrade it to a larger battery size such as a 85, 90 or even 100 pack, and they both warranty the replacement.
@Recell has recently lowered their pricing about $1000 across the board. Warranty is now a la carte whereas before warranty was included.

Slight quibble with @Recell payback logic. From website "payback in as little as 18 months." What payback? As a consumer, if I'm paying $6895 for a replacement pack, don't see any payback. Just paying for replacement pack. :) Chad's tried to explain it to me but my one brain cell doesn't get it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Recell
a new or even reman pack costs, minimum $15K, as much as $18K-$20K. that's as much as $400/month amortized out over 48 months on their warranty. $6895/$400 is 17 months. it pays for itself in as little at 18 months. QED.

btw: 'Chad' makes a point reminding the team here at Recell that there's no 'I' in team - this is all a team effort ;-)

Last edited:
Reactions: Rocky_H and NV Ray
I'm in contact with Re-cell via email now. Awaiting the cost, will update. Curious if it has to go to Texas or do they have a facility in SoCal.

I have been trying to contact Recell in the past week or so via their website, phone, and direct email and am still waiting for a response. My main questions are:

1. Is there currently any kind of basic warranty on their pack upgrades, with the new "a la carte" extended warranty now being offered? If I don't add the extended warranty and the pack upgrade malfunctions one week after purchase, am I on my own?

2. From their website: "it's usually far more cost effective to continue using your existing battery pack until it reaches the end of its useful life and then replace it with either a remanufactured pack from Recell or a new battery pack direct from Tesla."

Does that mean I can continue driving my existing 2015 85D until the battery pack dies, and then contact Recell to schedule the RC 240+ upgrade for $9895? Not sure if a functioning battery pack is required to qualify for the $9895 price, and if credit is given for existing battery packs if they are not functioning.

3. When can we look forward to the CA location opening?

So I dropped the MS off at the dealer today and I'm told it should likely be ready this Friday. Although I'll be surprised if it happens that soon, Tesla did style me with a nice loner S. Recell did provide an estimate which was going to be $9200 plus delivery and my cost on a rental for a few weeks, would be about 11k. Which is 3k cheaper than Tesla but with less of a warranty and a concern on my part that future repairs might get sticky with Tesla. Since I just purchased a new model Y if I'd traded my old Model S in on a new M3 I would not be eligible for an additional federal tax credit nor State rebate. Right or wrong I'm moving on. Just wanted to thank everyone for their input.

Reactions: Recell
So I dropped the MS off at the dealer today and I'm told it should likely be ready this Friday. Although I'll be surprised if it happens that soon, Tesla did style me with a nice loner S. Recell did provide an estimate which was going to be $9200 plus delivery and my cost on a rental for a few weeks, would be about 11k. Which is 3k cheaper than Tesla but with less of a warranty and a concern on my part that future repairs might get sticky with Tesla. Since I just purchased a new model Y if I'd traded my old Model S in on a new M3 I would not be eligible for an additional federal tax credit nor State rebate. Right or wrong I'm moving on. Just wanted to thank everyone for their input.
Thanks for the feedback. I, too, am happy with my out of pocket replacement pack from Tesla.

unfortunately, with no upgrade path or reman option on the Model S 60’s, a replacement pack from Tesla is typically your best bet on the 60’s.

occasionally we can do a repair in place on a 60 kWh pack, but stars need to align in terms of the issue and the repair involved.

A pleasant UPDATE:
So after dropping the S off at the Dealer on Monday. I got a new estimate of $925 Monday night! Further diagnostics showed the short was not internal [within the main battery] but rather somewhere else externally. They discovered the electric battery heater (1038901-00-K) was defective. So not 14k but less than 1k. Service rep says this seldom happens but it does happen, lucky me. Just drove it home it runs perfect now. So glad I did NOT go ahead and ship it based on initial cloud diagnosis. Rep also said they do two different tests on the main battery and it is still showing good.