Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MY Eating Tires

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On my 2021 MY, I only got 18,000 miles out of my ordinal OEM tires :-( And I'm gentle driver. I'm gathering tire data from this forum for the next replacement. I'm also interested in a better (softer) ride. I wonder if going from 19" to 18" wheels with more tire side wall might help the ride.?

Reactions: coleman567
On my 2021 MY, I only got 18,000 miles out of my ordinal OEM tires :-( And I'm gentle driver. I'm gathering tire data from this forum for the next replacement. I'm also interested in a better (softer) ride. I wonder if going from 19" to 18" wheels with more tire side wall might help the ride.?

The next tire you buy and how much air you put in them, might make more of a difference than just going to a 1" smaller rim. (All are important.)

Really? How have you measured it?
(been searching for rolling resistance factor for EV-a a while, and it seemed to me that it's in single digits i.e. less than 5-9% at most)
Here's how I measured it. On the day I got the tires replaced I recorded my lifetime mileage and Wh/mi from the Trip screen. It was about 21k miles and lifetime Wh/mi was 270. Then I set a new Trip meter for the new tires (Continental 255/45 R19 Extreme Contact DWS06 Plus). I have about 28k miles on the car now and the new tires are showing roughly 305Wh/mi. Of course the Lifetime Wh/mi is somewhere in between now since it consists of both tires. I think the 305 is going to come down a little when it gets warmer so I'm assuming 300.

• Informative
Reactions: Pianewman
Here's how I measured it. On the day I got the tires replaced I recorded my lifetime mileage and Wh/mi from the Trip screen. It was about 21k miles and lifetime Wh/mi was 270. Then I set a new Trip meter for the new tires (Continental 255/45 R19 Extreme Contact DWS06 Plus). I have about 28k miles on the car now and the new tires are showing roughly 305Wh/mi. Of course the Lifetime Wh/mi is somewhere in between now since it consists of both tires. I think the 305 is going to come down a little when it gets warmer so I'm assuming 300.
This is also how I compared OEM Continental ProContact RX versus Pirelli P7 AS+ 3 too.

OEM Continentals averaged 256 Wh/m after ~22K miles. I replaced the tires almost exactly one year later, so the Pirellis have been through the same commute and identical seasons, and currently average 269 Wh/m at 13K miles (about 5% worse efficiency, but still steadily improving Wh/m as weather warms up).

While the Pirellis are an improvement across the board and cost less than the OEM tire, my next set of tires will be either the Continental DWS06+ or Michelin Pilot Sport AS4. I drive pretty sedately but when I press the car there's still some wiggle in the tires/traction under hard acceleration. I'm willing to try for more stable grip at the expense of efficiency with the next set of tires. Hopefully the DWS06+ or PS AS4, with softer rubber compound improves the ride too. We will see.

Reactions: coleman567