Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My first long trip

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
9BA09138-F655-4ABB-99B9-B5002D2AA671.jpeg

My experience on my first long trip

This post may be of interest to new owners . . .I will try to be objective.

The trip was roughly 200 miles south, then 100 miles east and then 200 miles north.

I started by charging my M3LR up 100% which showed me as having a range of 355 miles i.e. not the advertised 374 miles !

Arriving at my first destination I had driven 195 miles and the battery range showed 145 mile i.e. the battery had gone down by 210 miles for an actual 195 miles driven (not bad and better than I expected after a previous 3 weeks experience of local driving where I was/am getting an approx 70% of actual driven miles from input charge miles). That experience taught me that, in future I can confidently drive 300 miles before needing to charge up.

Comfort: The seats were OK at best (but that view is coloured by my experience in my previous car where the seats were a £thousands extra and supremely comfortable (hugging me like a long lost friend).

I scuffed the front (19”) alloy wheel in a car packed village (that’s the second scuff in 3 weeks). I had my previous car for 3 years and never scuffed them once. I strongly suspect that the wheel design or choice of tyre lends itself the alloys betting scuffed.

The sat nav was a NIGHTMARE. After coming off the motorway it took me along miles of narrow country lanes. That first evening, driving to a favoured restaurant using the sat nav I did 10 miles. Driving back, after asking for directions the journey took 7 miles on main roads (no country lanes). Next day I called Tesla and they said they get my maps updated (I got a software update notice 24 hours later). Using that same sat nav to take me to a hotel in Reading on Friday night . . . it never found the hotel. It took me to a country road and said “you have now reached your destination”. Now home and looking at google earth the hotel was the other side of a hedge 200 yards west of where I was! I’ve looked long and hard and there does not seem to be a setting telling the sat nav to stick to A and B roads and avoid C roads .

(AS previously reported) . . the Supercharger charge up were super fast which was great, a huge relief as I was worried about what the rattle snake (aka wife) was going to say about sitting there for hours.

Now home and planning a return journey.

Featured Image Courtesy of Tesla, Inc.

Last edited by a moderator:
Regarding Range - has anyone compared Chill mode vs Standard? Chill has clearly less acceleration, so I am naturally forced to drive in a more ‘chilled’ way…..but does this translate to better range? Or if I just drove ‘less like a madman’ in Standard mode, would I just get an equivalent range? Thoughts?
If you control your right foot there’s no inherent difference.

Regarding Range - has anyone compared Chill mode vs Standard? Chill has clearly less acceleration, so I am naturally forced to drive in a more ‘chilled’ way…..but does this translate to better range? Or if I just drove ‘less like a madman’ in Standard mode, would I just get an equivalent range? Thoughts?
Yep it’s basically just like throttle mapping in an automatic ICE car. Driving gently in standard or with TACC on will give you the same potential range if you can feather the throttle as carefully.

Reactions: ElectrikFred
Regarding Range - has anyone compared Chill mode vs Standard?

Range only matters on a trip when you use it all. I think that is unlikely to be one with spirited driving :) The journey will need to be 250 miles and thus likely to be trudging along the motorway hour after hour.

Pretty sure Bjorn did a video on this when it first came out and decided it didn't make a noticeable difference.

Reactions: ElectrikFred
It is, mainly due to reduced drag and its a squared relationship. At 60mph a reduction of 14% you would use in theory close to 26% less energy.
What I meant was max speed which was often over 70 mph in my case. By setting it at 70mph, I could have balanced usage with average speed. With a family, it is impossible to reduce the speed to 60 mph on a motorway since they expect their Dad's Tesla to be the fastest car on the road.

Status
Not open for further replies.