Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3 LR 22 model (sat nav)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don’t do many long journeys and so don’t use the sat nav often. On every occasion when I have use the sat nav it has taken me on a 20 mile journey to my 10 mile destination. (OK, I know - so why do I keep using it!!!) Yesterday I was on Portishead and put the post code in for a journey to Nailsea (5 miles). It flashed up a route which looked about right. I the set off and it took me north to get onto the M5 at Gordano and then down the M5 to Clevedon and then off the motorway on to 5 miles of single track 5 roads. The sat nav had me doing 15 miles for a 5 mile trip! . . . . . . . . . . . . What is going on?

I don’t do many long journeys and so don’t use the sat nav often. On every occasion when I have use the sat nav it has taken me on a 20 mile journey to my 10 mile destination. (OK, I know - so why do I keep using it!!!) Yesterday I was on Portishead and put the post code in for a journey to Nailsea (5 miles). It flashed up a route which looked about right. I the set off and it took me north to get onto the M5 at Gordano and then down the M5 to Clevedon and then off the motorway on to 5 miles of single track 5 roads. The sat nav had me doing 15 miles for a 5 mile trip! . . . . . . . . . . . . What is going on?
That route often has a lot of heavy traffic so it was likely to be re-routing you based on its estimate of "fastest" way to get to destination. This isn't infallible though because sometimes the roads chosen for the new route don't get the granular updates of local traffic the same way major trunk roads do. Happens with pretty much all satnavs.

To reduce the amount of re-routing that happens you can go into the nav settings and extend the "time saved" by re-routing to something like 10 minutes or even more. I think you can even turn off this function altogether if you really want to.

Reactions: UkNorthampton
To reduce the amount of re-routing that happens you can go into the nav settings and extend the "time saved" by re-routing to something like 10 minutes or even more. I think you can even turn off this function altogether if you really want to.

Unfortunately ignore re routing only works after you have started navigating. If the so called delays are already present, then it’s going to route accordingly. However recent functionality now offers alternative route, although I personally don’t find that particularly useful as we are already underway by the time it is offered.

For us, it’s very common to be routed up a minor road with speed humps (rat run) to save 0 min by travelling slightly further on 50 and NSL roads. Which is fine until the NSL is significantly delayed and we have ignored the local road with speed humps default suggestion. Classic case of sheep that cried wolf. I really wish these things would remember a preferred route or ignore road.

Unfortunately ignore re routing only works after you have started navigating
You can ignore online routing in default settings.
1703851220478.png

Reactions: MrBadger

I almost always have WAZE running on my phone placed on the charger pad. The routing and ETA are totally different with WAZE selecting a shorter route and no surprise, an earlier ETA. WAZE also reroutes around heavy traffic and accidents much sooner than the Tesla nav. In SoCal, WAZE was pushed by traffic reporters early on so it works really well here.

However, for WAZE to work it has to be widely adopted because its data is coming from other vehicles as they travel the roads. I’m not sure how many use it in the UK? You might want to try it, you can find it in the App Store.

My New Zealand friend loves WAZE in the US, but said not enough people use it in NZ to get good routing and reports.