Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Garage Door Opens Automatically, even without HomeLink...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I don't have HomeLink installed or setup on my 2021 Model Y, yet when I drive up close to my garage door, the garage door magically opens up. All the time! I have an Audi with homelink installed and it only opens when I press the button. Same with my old 2015 BMW M3. I always had to press the button on the mirror to open my garage. With my Tesla, the garage door seems like it senses it and automatically opens. I literally just drive up and it works! Odd. This is a condo community underground garage BTW and no other cars do this. Any idea on what is going on? Saves me installing the HomeLink module on my car.

I found this out because I was driving my MYP like a hoon and my garage door opener flew out of my pocket when I accelerated. So when I got to my garage, I pulled up closely and then got out of my car to go to the back seat to look for my remote, and the door opened before I even found my remote! I then proceeded to exit the garage and try it again and it worked. Did it again with my wife in the car today as well.

Any thoughts? Could it be that the parking sensors have a similar frequency to my garage door? Weird.

Odd thing is that I bought the actual HomeLink unit, but its in the box and unopened until my install appointment. Yet even when I leave the HomeLink box elsewhere, not even near my car, the gate still opens by itself. From what I can tell I do not have HomeLink installed in my car and I bought my car brand new.

Do you think that the factory installed homelink on my car with telling me? I thought there would be a house icon on my screen and I have to pair my remote. Oh well. Hahahah.

That's what a unicorn is all about. You didn't have to do anything and it just works! It's like we're in a "Twilight Zone" episode. Spooky but very good!

Congratulations!

Your garage door opener is somewhere in your car with the button constantly pressed.
Haha sounds like it right? Too bad I found it already and it’s not pressed.

bruh-its-a-ghost-ghost.gif

ha!

Sorry guys for not updating this thread. Turns out that the garage door was malfunctioning and was letting everyone in that went close to the garage door. The fact that everyone starts pushing the garage button about 20 feet prior never had anyone realize that it could do this.

Got the garage opener fixed and installed homelink. homelink is so cool!!! =) It's like magic...

• Funny
Reactions: 101dals and brkaus
Classic misdirection (albeit unintended). You see your car do it and you ask "Why does my car do this?". What you should have asked is "Does this happen for everyone?"

And tbh, reading this thread, I went down the same route

This would have made a good puzzler. Too bad

Reactions: jpy1980
I bet you either your wife or if you have kids, one of them keep track of your schedule and use a garage opener to open/close the door for you. 🤣

Something similar was on Car Talk once. One of the guys in the garage bought a new car and was constantly bragging about its fuel economy, so of course his mates started topping up his tank when he wasn't watching so his numbers just got better and better.

Then (of course) they started syphoning fuel out of the tank . . .

It was a pretty goods prank really