Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Key Fob Opened Someone Else's Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That you need to shake fob on occasion points to unsure battery contacts possibly. Clean with alcohol or bend contacts as necessary. Rapidly connecting/disconnecting power to fob might generate radio frequency hash signal that might be broader band than normal, thus affecting nearby cars.
--

There is another reasonable explanation for Owner's story (although I'm a bit late to the party here).

Every once in a while, I get in my car and it takes a little bit longer to boot up/turn on. You know, the "systems are powering up" message? I've even seen this after a brief 15 minute stop at the day care picking up the kids.

If the car Owner encountered was left unlocked, but was in a deeper sleep like this, it would have made sense that the handles didn't present when he approached (he doesn't have the key). If Owner pressed the handles and the car needed a few seconds to wake up, it's possible the delay was long enough and timed such that it appeared that shaking the FOB is what opened it, when it was really his touch.

I know that the door handles don't normally go to sleep, but sometimes it seems the car's systems are doing some cleanup/processing and occasionally there seem to be a few short delays in reaction of the car's systems when it's doing this sort of processing.

- - - Updated - - -

Has anyone tried to open their car without a key fob? I'm able to open the trunk 9 times out of ten without a key. Anyone else?

Just tried it several times. No joy.

Where was your FOB when you tested this? The FOB's range when pressing the trunk button is larger than the handle auto-present range, I've found.

Oh interesting, didnt realize that. Fob was about 100 ft away, upstairs in the house

I'm not sure if 100 ft is close enough, but...

The reason is because for auto-presenting handles, the car needs to detect the signal from the fob without the car getting any advance notice...which means the fob must essentially "transmit" all the time so the car can "hear" it. In order for the fob batteries to last more than a couple days, this signal is weak.

But when pressing the trunk button, the car can transmit to the fob (the other way around) and the fob can respond just once with a stronger signal. It requires far less power for the fob to receive than it does to transmit.

Hi Todd

My magical opening of another door happened a long time ago in March 2013. Back then the car didn't really go to sleep and we had vampire drains.

Good thought though!

I have not re-encountered the same car although I have seen a few other Dolphin grey Teslas in town.

There is another reasonable explanation for Owner's story (although I'm a bit late to the party here).

Every once in a while, I get in my car and it takes a little bit longer to boot up/turn on. You know, the "systems are powering up" message? I've even seen this after a brief 15 minute stop at the day care picking up the kids.

If the car Owner encountered was left unlocked, but was in a deeper sleep like this, it would have made sense that the handles didn't present when he approached (he doesn't have the key). If Owner pressed the handles and the car needed a few seconds to wake up, it's possible the delay was long enough and timed such that it appeared that shaking the FOB is what opened it, when it was really his touch.

I know that the door handles don't normally go to sleep, but sometimes it seems the car's systems are doing some cleanup/processing and occasionally there seem to be a few short delays in reaction of the car's systems when it's doing this sort of process.

Hi Todd

My magical opening of another door happened a long time ago in March 2013. Back then the car didn't really go to sleep and we had vampire drains.

Good thought though!

I have not re-encountered the same car although I have seen a few other Dolphin grey Teslas in town.

Hi Owner,

While it's true we didn't have sleep then, there's always been the occasional delays every once in awhile from the car's systems doing some processing.

So I dropped my car off at a shop last week to get some vinyl wrap. They were working on multiple Tesla's including mine. When I went to pick up my car the owner walked over with "my fob" and the car handles presented themselves. He put the fob in the console for me and sent me on my way. When I got home I realized that it was NOT my fob. This fob has an actual rubber button on the top and a red circle around it. My fob was a solid black car with no buttons (2013 model). I can't believe it.

So I dropped my car off at a shop last week to get some vinyl wrap. They were working on multiple Tesla's including mine. When I went to pick up my car the owner walked over with "my fob" and the car handles presented themselves. He put the fob in the console for me and sent me on my way. When I got home I realized that it was NOT my fob. This fob has an actual rubber button on the top and a red circle around it. My fob was a solid black car with no buttons (2013 model). I can't believe it.

Are you sure it wasn't your fob with the top piece missing? I don't think any Model S fob is supposed to look like that.

- - - Updated - - -

I bet it looked like this:

Key fob deteriorating. | Tesla Motors

Your fob was probably on the verge of falling apart when you handed it to them, and it did fall apart in their possession. They can replace the top peice for you. Just ask.

I'm not sure if 100 ft is close enough, but...

The reason is because for auto-presenting handles, the car needs to detect the signal from the fob without the car getting any advance notice...which means the fob must essentially "transmit" all the time so the car can "hear" it. In order for the fob batteries to last more than a couple days, this signal is weak.

But when pressing the trunk button, the car can transmit to the fob (the other way around) and the fob can respond just once with a stronger signal. It requires far less power for the fob to receive than it does to transmit.

FYI, the fob does not transmit until it hears the car interrogate it. The car is constantly transmitting the interrogation signal looking for a fob. Also, the Body ECU handles the door functions, it has nothing to do with the center display, and therefore will not be lagged if the center display is in a sleep mode, rebooting, etc.

I've had a couple similar instances. I was at a supercharger the other day. As I sat in the car and it was down to about 10 minutes left to charge, the doors handles suddenly presented. I didn't touch anything. I didn't see anyone else come near by either however. Just completely at a loss as to why.

Separately, while the car is parked in the garage and the key is in the house, I have had the back hatch of the car open when I pull the latch sometimes. Not consistently but once in a while. The door handles will not present when touched, just the rear hatch. Maybe I need to test whether the car is actually locked when I leave it in a parking lot....

The VIN of this second car is a little more than 1,500 cars newer than mine. I did note the VIN and am going to report it when I get my service done.
It happened to me today,I walked out of my workout club and thought it was a similar tesla to mine.As i walked to it ,lo behold, it opened!To my surprise a baby seat in the back and starbucks waste in the front.I was just shell shocked ; got out quickly and found my car two stalls away ,got in and drove off.I should have tried to switch the other car on?I usually have my wallet ,etc in the car as I do not take it in.This needs to be fixed immediately by Tesla!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Informative
Reactions: William3
Dear Owner (by the way, IMO, not the most practical username for this forum. Only one step up from Generic.)

I agree with strider and imherkimer it might have been left unlocked accidently.
A couple of years ago, there was a thread here of an owner that kept finding his lift gate open when he was parked at home. Not at work, but at home. 1,000 suggestions as to why. He finally figured out it was his new leather fob cover. The snap was pushing the trunk part of the fob when he sat down with it in this jeans pocket - in the house. He played detective and figured out, he parked far enough away at work from his desk, that when he would have triggered the fob, he was too far for the signal, and he never wore jeans to work.

And rdrcmatt might have nailed it. The fob might have been inside the car.

You mentioned in post #7 that you need to take the fob out of your pocket before the door handles retract. If you are carrying your smartphone in the same pocket as your fob, the smartphone is interferring with the fob's signal. When you separate the two, the fob's signal is getting to the car.

And you mention if the car was unlocked, the door handles would have presented itself upon touch. That's true nearly all the time, but not 100% of the time. So, that car could have been left unlocked.

In case someone didn't know, the fob holder and double click and unlock the car and the handles present. But don't open a door or the lift gate, just walk away. In a minute the handles will retract, but the car is left unlocked until someone approaches and touches a handle to present and pulls the door open. Yes, this is risky. Don't know why Tesla designed the car to do this.

But good news Owner is that you might have done this guy a favor. But pulling that door open, you may have triggered it to lock when you closed the door. Had you not pulled that door open, it would have been left unlocked for a less honest person. Good job.

brucet999, Try this. Walk within fob range of your S and double click the top. The handles present. However, do not open any door or the lift gate. Walk away. In about a minute the handles will retract. Now, to prove what I am describing, take the fob away from the car, maybe back in the house. Move it far enough away that you are satisfied its not within range of the car. Walk back to the car. Touch a handle. It will present. Now you can open the door. So, this means if an owner was in a parking lot and walked close enough to their car to unlock it with a double click but for some reason, stopped walked away without opening a door or the lift gate, the car is unlocked. Any thing inside the car is vulnerable to theft. If someone walks by and randomly touched a handle, it presents. Now they are curious. They pull, the door opens, they can help themselves. Another case. An owner needs to leave their car locked at home, They double click and unlock. Then get distracted and don't open a door or lift gate. They forget. The car is unlocked. Kids could get inside - their kids or neighbor kids.

Test what I described. Double click and unlock. Walk away. Leave the fob away from the car. Wait, the handles retract. Now walk back up and touch a handle (don't pull). Walk away. The handles retract. Walk up a second time, and touch. The handles present. Walk away again. Walk back up a third time, and touch a handle. The handle presents. Pull - it opens. Point is; it does not lock automatically just because the handles retracted that first or second time.

Bottom line. Do not double click your fob to unlock, unless you complete the cycle by pulling the door open or single click to lock it with the fob. The car has been this was since the beginning. I don't have a X to test it on. Maybe it does the same thing on a X. Does that help understand? Please don't misunderstand me. I am not complaining. I don't think of this as a problem or flaw. I believe that knowing how something works and how to use what you know neutralizes what others might see as an issue or not working as they think it should. I am satisfied in just knowing how to use it and prevent leaving my car unlocked.

Last edited: