Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My loaner car from Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I went to my local Service Center after Christmas to get the steering column control module replaced. Here is the loaner car I got:

bfj9cp.jpg

Sucks to get an ICE loaner from Tesla. Unfortunately this seems to be the only option in NJ. Apparently the laws in NJ (at least how it was explained to me by my local service center) state that a car manufacturer can’t use cars that it manufactures itself for loaners. This doesn’t affect regular car dealerships as they don’t manufacture the cars themselves. Past 2 loaners I’ve received have all been luxury ICE vehicles, which I HATED. Very lame.

Ive had many ICE loaners from Tesla. I do understand why they have to give them out on occasion and it does not bother me.

However I would like to comment on the specific vehicle you got. The Evogue is the worse car I have ever driven and I am by no means a high end car person. My problem with it was Its got a million speed auto transmission and 3HP. Its like they tried to make up for the lack of power with more gears. It was always trying to figure out what gear it needed to be in and it required a lot of throttle to stay at speed with traffic from a stop.

Reactions: 1375mlm
I went to my local Service Center after Christmas to get the steering column control module replaced.

2018 Model 3 LR AWD | DBM with black interior | Aero Wheels | Ordered 10/14 | Pick up on 10/27 in Fremont

Can you describe the issue that you encountered?

I get my Model 3 at the same time with VIN F121 - - -

I reported that the left turned signal didn't seems to return automatically.

A Tesla technician came to my home with a new part.

He drove my car, and made several left and right turn but didn't find anything abnormal.

However he proposed to replace the module.

Well, you know the expression "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

So I asks not to replace it as this might then break something else....

I had the car only for a week and less that 200 miles so may be I was not yet used to the car.

It is true that the turn signal is a little bit different, because you can just push a little bit and it will stop after three times.

Or you can make more pressure, and the signal will stay on and stop only after sensing the steering wheel rotating.

- I wonder then if you noticed something similar?

Can you describe the issue that you encountered?

I get my Model 3 at the same time with VIN F121 - - -

I reported that the left turned signal didn't seems to return automatically.

A Tesla technician came to my home with a new part.

He drove my car, and made several left and right turn but didn't find anything abnormal.

However he proposed to replace the module.

Well, you know the expression "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

So I asks not to replace it as this might then break something else....

I had the car only for a week and less that 200 miles so may be I was not yet used to the car.

It is true that the turn signal is a little bit different, because you can just push a little bit and it will stop after three times.

Or you can make more pressure, and the signal will stay on and stop only after sensing the steering wheel rotating.

- I wonder then if you noticed something similar?
I had the same problem with the steering control module. Normally, pushing the turn signal stalk a small amount in either direction will cause the signal to blink three times and then turn off. Pushing the stalk further (past a small amount of resistance) will cause the signal to stay on. This was working correctly for the right signal but the left signal would never turn off after three blinks, no matter how slightly I would push the stalk down.

@NeverFollow, I am experiencing similar behavior.

I haven't been driving the car much since I took delivery. But when I did, when I push the turn signal with more pressure, the signal sometimes does not return even after a full turn. Then I am like scrambling to turn it off, pulling the signal up, then it signals the opposite direction.

I made an appointment for something else, and I mentioned to the Tesla person I am experiencing this. She just said this is pretty common and will replace the module for me.

On my invoice, it said verified customer concern and replace module. Confirmed normal operation after repair.

My VIN is in the range of F114---.

Ive had many ICE loaners from Tesla. I do understand why they have to give them out on occasion and it does not bother me.

However I would like to comment on the specific vehicle you got. The Evogue is the worse car I have ever driven and I am by no means a high end car person. My problem with it was Its got a million speed auto transmission and 3HP. Its like they tried to make up for the lack of power with more gears. It was always trying to figure out what gear it needed to be in and it required a lot of throttle to stay at speed with traffic from a stop.

I was hoping to try out a different Tesla as a loaner, but I picked the Evoque because it was either this or a Chrysler 300.

Tesla sales sold my demo/loaner today, so they swapped this S P100D with me and I took it for a ludicrous ride. Pretty fun and alot quicker than the P3D+. Took forever to get the battery pack up to temperature. Will give it a 100% charge on New Years day and take it for another ride.

I don’t need to return it till Jan 2nd and the speed limiter is not activated....woohoo! This is alot better than the Ford Taurus SHO I had when I had my MC Red P3D at the bodyshop for delivery deficiencies.

Attachments

• 2E7435E5-DE59-4FBC-86B0-7A76914A4D4B.jpeg
    2E7435E5-DE59-4FBC-86B0-7A76914A4D4B.jpeg
    291.5 KB · Views: 78
  • Love
Reactions: 1375mlm
Oh my, I wish I was given that as a loaner. Must be fun to drive.

I’ve given the sales team and service nice Xmas gifts the last 2 years. Being in good terms and being nice goes a long ways. They wanted me to get a ICE rental for a second time, but I asked if I could get a non-ICE car and they asked me what I wanted from their demo/loaners available. I was happy to get a S100D and now a P100D.

After owning 4 Teslas and being an early adopter helps. Will skip owning a Model Y and waiting for the deposit for a Signature Tesla pickup...Model P.

Last edited:
Our SC is always running out of loaners so I take what is available.

The first time they gave me a Mercedes C class when I brought the car in for a software update. Fine, just a one day loaner.

The second time I got a Nissan Altima. Missed out on the Versa they had as a loaner that morning. Oh well;). This service visit was to repair the body damage caused during service visit #1. Took over a week and I got a 75D after two days with the Altima.

My car is a 2018 P100D. Was soooo happy to get her back!

Gee, perhaps if they didn't insult their own customers on trade in values Tesla would be able to be able to offer many more Tesla loaners?

Just a thought.

They really should stop offering ICE loaners; they're kind of lame, and really don't help advance Tesla's Missions.

At all.

(And whatever happened to Elon's promise of nothing but P100D service loaners?!?)

Reactions: Tony_YYZ