Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MY LR battery type ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Dumb question, but why is the acronym “LFP“ when the middle word starts with an “i”? Does this have to do with the periodical table from my high school days many many years ago? iron = Fe.
I think I can answer my own question. According to Wikipedia - LFP = lithium ferrophosphate.

The lithium iron phosphate battery (LiFePO4 battery) or LFP battery (lithium ferrophosphate) is a type of lithium-ion battery using lithium iron phosphate (LiFePO4) as the cathode material, and a graphitic carbon electrode with a metallic backing as the anode.

I picked up my MYLR (Fremont built) yesterday.
Sounds like I have the US made Panasonic 2170 NCA battery pack, correct?

I think can limit my charging to 50% or 55% for daily use, as suggested by @AAKEE and still have plenty of range. Would that then be the best for this battery pack?

Reactions: AAKEE

I think can limit my charging to 50% or 55% for daily use, as suggested by @AAKEE and still have plenty of range. Would that then be the best for this battery pack?

I have a short commute and have charged to 70% since my '18 M3. When I get down to 30-40% I'll plug in again. During the winter I plug in every night for battery warming.

In preparation for a longer trip (at least once a month), I'll charge to 90% and might forego charging until the next day (so unplugged overnight) to keep my battery calibrated. If you can, you'll probably want to leave sentry mode off at home to promote good battery health. Battery calibration happens when sentry is off and idle for several hours.

Yes, Panasonic NCA.
Some rumors talk about NMC packs entering US also. (NMC can not cope with NCA capacity so slightly shorter range should be seen in the EPA test.

Any SOC at 55% or below is good.
Per principle, the lower the better but staying at or below 55% when the car is not in use is the bif thing.

Charging higher when needed is not a problem. It is the time at high SOC that cause higher calendar aging, so reduce time > 55%

Reactions: E90alex
I have a short commute and have charged to 70% since my '18 M3. When I get down to 30-40% I'll plug in again. During the winter I plug in every night for battery warming.
Charging to 50-55% instead would reduce the calendar aging.
In preparation for a longer trip (at least once a month), I'll charge to 90% and might forego charging until the next day (so unplugged overnight) to keep my battery calibrated.
The battery do not get calibrated.

Balancing = the viltage of the cells equalizes by burning of the voltage of the high cells.
Tesla use top balancing, only at high SOC.

I have had my car for about a month at the time with 55% or lower and the imbalance still only 4mV so the balancing thing is not an issue with low SOC strategy.

Calibration: Not the battery, but the BMS.
The BMS estimation of the battery capacity can drift sometimes.
Showing both low and high SOC to the BMS with the car sleeping makes the estimation of the capacity easier. If the BMS is off, it can ”see” the capacity and adjust the estimaded capacity.
This increases the displayed range but it do not increase the true capacity and not the true range.
If you plan to drive 100-0% then you might gaon a few miles in the navigation, but most often this do not make any difference as for example the Superchargers is more fare apart than this.
If you can, you'll probably want to leave sentry mode off at home to promote good battery health. Battery calibration happens when sentry is off and idle for several hours.

Sentry off mainly makes the battery disconnect, showing the open circuit voltage to the BMS.

In the long term there will be less cycles on the battery with sentry off, but cycles cause a rather small degradation so I would use sentry if I had to due to surroundings.
I’d rather loose 0.1% extra during the cars life than loose the whole car or get it trashed without sentry data.

I keep reading conflicting information regarding whether Tesla in the US uses NCA or NMC in the Dual Motor (Long Range and Performance) Model 3, Model Y.

"Tesla announced in October 2021 that it was switching to LFP batteries for its standard-range models (Model 3 and Model Y), while retaining the NMC cells for longer-range models."

https://www.eetimes.com/lithium-batteries-for-evs-go-nmc-or-lfp/
There is a lot of conflicting info in this thread but whatever. I just follow Tesla's recommendations.

I keep reading conflicting information regarding whether Tesla in the US uses NCA or NMC in the Dual Motor (Long Range and Performance) Model 3, Model Y.

"Tesla announced in October 2021 that it was switching to LFP batteries for its standard-range models (Model 3 and Model Y), while retaining the NMC cells for longer-range models."

They have been mostly NCA.

New 2023 Model 3 LR with 333 mi range is NMC and cars using the 4680 cells (standard range Model Y AWD, likely upcoming Cybertruck) are NMC.

There is no conflicting info about that.
(Or there might be, byt there is no uncertainness about it)

RWD cars, former SR+, get LFP batteries.

All LR/P in us get Panasonic NCA.

Some rumors of KG NMC entering either Canada or US in near future.

• Informative
Reactions: jcanoe