Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

my mockup of carplay on model 3 display

would u want to see carplay added as a software update or part of an upgrade?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
say what you guys want, but ever since i switched from my hyundai elantra to the tesla, one thing ive always envisioned on the big 15 inch screen is carplay, i used carplay all the time on my elantra. I honestly somehow someway hope tesla can get carplay onboad so we can use our phone's "hands free" and use the car screen interface instead.
anyways enough talk. i know im not the only one who would want carplay here, some people would want android auto too.
heres my mockup.
Untitled.jpg

Nice mock-up.
I've given up hoping Tesla would take on CarPlay, but your pic makes it look even more attractive.
OTOH, all of a sudden a couple of weeks ago: we got text message support. Out of the blue. And it works fine. I am stoked. Surprised more people haven't celebrated this.
And who knows- if text support appeared, maybe CarPlay will.....

My wife has Android Auto on her Bolt. I would describe the difference between the Tesla UI and the Android Auto UI the same way I described the difference between my Dish Network DVR circa 2010 and the standard crappy cable company DVR of the same era. I.e. the Android Auto interface seems ancient, slow, sluggish, clunky and problematic compared to Tesla's.

Okay, I will be fair. Some part's of Tesla's UI need a lot of work as well. The audio interface could use a lot of work, and until recently, text support was non-existent (although to be honest, I'm not getting many texts these days--other apps seem to be taking over).

Maybe the Bolt's implementation of Android Auto is really poor, but personally I am really glad that I can just hop into my car and have all the functionality of the Tesla UI available to me without having to plug my phone into the USB port.

So the advantages of an Android Auto (or Carplay) type solution would be a consistent and familiar interface for everyone, and perhaps higher quality and even third-party apps with even more frequent update cycles than even Tesla (this is a double edged sword, of course!) But from what I've seen, Android Auto is just too far behind the native Tesla apps to make it worth it for me now.

Reactions: APotatoGod
What is great about Android Auto is it provides results for news, weather, sports scores, and anything not car-related. Tesla seems to be the inverse. There is literally no reason to ever touch my phone when using AA.

Spotify integration is solid on Android Auto and kind of a kludge with Tesla.

Tesla's speech recognition system is just awful. I'm sure all of this will improve in time, but AA is the only item I miss from my Ford.

Last edited:
This seems like a good project for someone to take on. I'm sure Tesla uses an off the shelf interface for the display and touch interface. I bet a skilled enough hacker could overlay CarPlay or Android Auto on the display.
My other idea along this vein would be to add a Toyota rain sensor for the wipers :p

• Funny
What is great about Android Auto is it provides results for news, weather, sports scores, and anything not car-related. Tesla seems to be the inverse. There is literally no reason to ever touch my phone when using AA.

Spotify integration is solid on Android Auto and kind of a kludge with Tesla.

Tesla's speech recognition system is just awful. I'm sure all of this will improve in time, but AA is the only item I miss from my Ford.

Shrug, I have not yet come across a time when the car didnt understand the words I was saying, as displayed in the card when you use voice commands. This is including names of mexican and chinese restaurants, when saying "navigate me to XXXX". The car understands what I am saying at least as well as Siri does.

Also, I have access to carplay (wireless carplay even) in my wifes 2019 BMW X3, and we used it all of 1 day, before going back to BMWs native interface, which is called "idrive". I couldnt stand carplay.

I also dont miss it, or android auto on my tesla. One of the main benefits of either program, is that they theoretically "get better over time" as more features are added, and I get that in my tesla as well.

I actually like idrive better than my tesla in a lot of respects, but I like the tesla interface in others. Adding text messaging to the tesla helps with one of its big misses.

This seems like a good project for someone to take on. I'm sure Tesla uses an off the shelf interface for the display and touch interface. I bet a skilled enough hacker could overlay CarPlay or Android Auto on the display.
My other idea along this vein would be to add a Toyota rain sensor for the wipers :p

No kidding. I was driving in pouring rain a few nights ago and the "Auto" setting did not wipe once. And then last night when it was dry my wipers were occasionally clearing off the window for no reason. I hope the neural net does not become self-aware and read my posts, because right now I say it sucks.

I love my car otherwise and luckily all of this can be fixed in software, so it seems.

What's funny here is Tesla uses Google for voice recognition. Same as android.

(and uses Nuance in some foreign countries- same as Apple uses for Siri)

And who knows- if text support appeared, maybe CarPlay will.....

Seems one makes the other far less likely.

Why bother building your own text support code if you were going to add CP/AA which both already have that?

My wife has Android Auto on her Bolt. I would describe the difference between the Tesla UI and the Android Auto UI the same way I described the difference between my Dish Network DVR circa 2010 and the standard crappy cable company DVR of the same era. I.e. the Android Auto interface seems ancient, slow, sluggish, clunky and problematic compared to Tesla's.

Okay, I will be fair. Some part's of Tesla's UI need a lot of work as well. The audio interface could use a lot of work, and until recently, text support was non-existent (although to be honest, I'm not getting many texts these days--other apps seem to be taking over).

Maybe the Bolt's implementation of Android Auto is really poor, but personally I am really glad that I can just hop into my car and have all the functionality of the Tesla UI available to me without having to plug my phone into the USB port.

So the advantages of an Android Auto (or Carplay) type solution would be a consistent and familiar interface for everyone, and perhaps higher quality and even third-party apps with even more frequent update cycles than even Tesla (this is a double edged sword, of course!) But from what I've seen, Android Auto is just too far behind the native Tesla apps to make it worth it for me now.

Or...maybe its your phone. Prior to switching phones a few years ago....AA was really slow in the Bolt, but after I got a new phone, responsiveness was nice and quick. Occasionally, AA hiccups, but after a reboot of my phone...all is good. I've tried AA (same phone) on numerous rental cars (Ford, Mitsubishi, Nissan) and they all run OK, but the Bolt's larger screen and quick access button to/from Car UI/AA is what I prefer. If Tesla ever offers CP or AA, it will give users a choice...it will supplement and not replace the car's native UI.

+1 on the apple music if full CarPlay is never going to happen. i logged in to AM with the tesla browser and it worked, but the song stopped playing the minute the browser went into the background. which is probably not a bad thing in general.

lot of hate here for CarPlay for some reason. it does have some useful features, for me anyway. one nice thing they added in iOS13 is automatic navigation to any address stored in your next calendar appointment (though i think the tesla does this natively too.) another nice thing is that if you have a homekit compatible garage door opener, when you come within a few hundred meters of your house a control button for the opener just pops up on the screen.

Shrug, I have not yet come across a time when the car didnt understand the words I was saying, as displayed in the card when you use voice commands. This is including names of mexican and chinese restaurants, when saying "navigate me to XXXX". The car understands what I am saying at least as well as Siri does.

Also, I have access to carplay (wireless carplay even) in my wifes 2019 BMW X3, and we used it all of 1 day, before going back to BMWs native interface, which is called "idrive". I couldnt stand carplay.

I also dont miss it, or android auto on my tesla. One of the main benefits of either program, is that they theoretically "get better over time" as more features are added, and I get that in my tesla as well.

I actually like idrive better than my tesla in a lot of respects, but I like the tesla interface in others. Adding text messaging to the tesla helps with one of its big misses.
Sorry but pretty much every idrive before 7 is shockingly cheap looking. To not have a counter beside the album art and or show better icons on the satellite radio is just lazy. Wireless ACP is pretty bomb and coding it to full screen only made it better.

here are some more mockups of carplay.
i like how its turning out, i feel carplay would look great on the 15 inch display.
interior-screen-3-desktop244.jpg
sagsag.jpg
interior-screen-3-desktop.jpg
interior-screen-3-desktop2.jpg

im going to shout this out to elon, and on twitter to get others votes on it.

I feel Tesla will eventually get to the level of integration of those platforms without having to implement those specific API’s. Just look at where they were not that long ago against the newest updates: It won’t be free though and will likely tie into the premium connectivity package.