Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My model 3 AP2 does not change lanes where my model S AP1 had no problems

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I finally had more time to drive our new model 3. I drove several times on a highway with separated northbound / southbound lanes (2 each). AP2 works fairly well in lane keeping - actually much better on southbound than my previous P85D with AP1 (this used to get confused with the sun directly ahead). However, lane change is impossible for the majority of the drive - the AP2 seems to see only the lane you are in. As soon as I get to a 3-lane area the AP2 beginning to see both adjacent lanes (if you are in the center lane). So each time I change lanes, the AP disengages, and I have to reactivate each time I am passing someone. You can see in the picture the free lane to the left, the blinker on, nothing happens - the M3 does not see the lane.
lane change.JPG

Is this an issue of AP2 , M3 or just of my car?

• Informative
Reactions: Pkmmte
Did you turn it on?

Operating Auto Lane Change (OM page 70).
"Before you can operate Auto Lane Change, you must enable it by touching Controls > Autopilot > Auto Lane Change > ON.

Note: Before you can turn on Auto Lane Change, you must turn on Autosteer (see Autosteer on page 67). Without Autosteer, Auto Lane Change cannot operate."

• Informative
Reactions: xhawk101
Did you turn it on?

Operating Auto Lane Change (OM page 70).
"Before you can operate Auto Lane Change, you must enable it by touching Controls > Autopilot > Auto Lane Change > ON.

Note: Before you can turn on Auto Lane Change, you must turn on Autosteer (see Autosteer on page 67). Without Autosteer, Auto Lane Change cannot operate."

It is enabled. I can change lanes when AP2 recognizes the fact that there is a lane to the left or to the right. Problem is that AP2 does not recognize it on a 50 mile stretch of highway.

If the M3 works the same as my X with ap2. The auto lane change is locked and not allowed based on the road classification obtained from the nav system and not from any vision or sensor sytem in the car.
This is one of the dumb things a script kiddy programming the car did thinking that the maps and road classification is smater and have more control than the driver that know when lane change can be executed.
Around my areas where the nav info is at least 10 years behind this great feature is worthless and useless.

Get used to it, unfortunately. Almost a year and a half in for AP2 and it still not at parity with AP1 with the debatable exception of the most vanilla case set. I say this with over 60K with AP1 and about half that so far with AP2, having schlepped through 48 states and provinces (and counting).

As soon as I find the right AP1 unicorn later this Spring hopefully, back I go to AP1 for a few years until Elon's promised FSD comes to fruition. With FSD, AP2 should finally come into its own - in about 2021 but hopefully with glimmers as soon as later this year (can always hope). Never mind the video from 12/2016 or the promises made since. Remember the claim from 10/2014 during the AP1 event? Stop sign reaction on top of recognition.

Still waiting and here it is 3/2018. Today, AP2 relies upon a database for speed limit-related speed changes with AS. AP1's camera recognized and reacted to the actual speed limit signs. The best solution would be a combination of the two approaches. Let's call that... AP4.

We'll get there someday. I'd just prefer that it was Tesla to lead the way instead of *twitch* GM or worse.

Thank you, guys. It would seem rather easy for Tesla to re-classify roads. The highway I am talking about is a 65 mph dual lane road, with large central divider. Too bad that someone thought it is not OK for lane changes....

What is FSD ;)?

Full Self Drive......
It would be easier for Tesla to get a programing crew that cares in doing a good job and do it rigt the first time.
It would be easier for Tesla to not need to update any 3rd party maps but to remove the freking control until they can get it right.
Yet to be beat the AP1 on V7. I would gladly pay to have my cars downgraded to the old V7. That AP worked.
Perhaps we ALL could start calling their service department and voice our displeasure with the lane changer that they stop thinking it is just one or 2 owners that spend upwords of 120k and not be able to use AP at all as it is so anoying to have to turn it off every time we need to change lanes.
I have voiced my displesure and never heard back from anyone with a solution.
I do own an S and an X and have early reservation for M3 so.... come on Tesla... do it right or not do it at all.

Unfortunately I did buy the hype and have serious concerns Ill ever get it with the present hardware that cant even detect a car next to you. So disapointed here with each OTA update that all we get is useless features instead of some real meat.
Just saw an add for a caddy CT6 driving itself... "Eat you heart out Tesla" the add said. maybe I need to go check that out.
Or maybe Tesla will get the idea that being #1 will have every one trying to eat their lunch.