Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Model 3 niggles. One week on

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
1. Sound system doesn't remember it was playing from USB key after I exit car. After I get out of the car upon returning it put itself back to bluetooth as the source even though I was on USB when I got out. Oddly, on a reboot, it will restore the source and the song and song position it was playing. - Software fix.

2. No sunglass holder. Next years model?

3. Phone is not a reliable opener. Works about 50% of the time. Have go to airplane mode and back to get it to work. Sometimes waiting quite a while will also work. I can't really expect the car to open and be ready to drive just by walking to it. - Software fix.

4. HomeLink only works about 25% of the time. Most of the time it does not transmit. If I reboot the console it will work the first time every time (then start failing again), but who wants to do that? - Software fix.

5. Even with creep turned off car will not come to complete stop with only regen. Could be one pedal driving were it not for that. - Software enhancement?

Last edited:
The car will come to a complete stop with creep turned off, just maybe not quick enough to be useful. It will actually start rolling back as if in neutral if you attempt it on a hill.
If it does (I haven't tried that) it takes too long to be useful for one pedal driving. The last 3 or 4 mph have to come off the speed much faster to allow truly one pedal driving.

We’re in agreement. I was just noting that it WILL come to a complete stop. I think regen braking tapers off at lower speeds.
On a flat street i'll come to a complete stop. If the street is downhill at all, it'll continue at like 2-3mph. Pro tip: tap on the break pedal to come to a complete stop. You can also engage TACC to come to a complete stop.

5. Even with creep turned off car will not come to complete stop with only regen. Could be one pedal driving were it not for that. - Software enhancement?
No Tesla will come to a complete stop under regen alone, as it completely cuts out by ~5mph. Sure, the car will eventually stop, but that's no different than a car in neutral slowly rolling to a stop. This behavior is unlikely to change unless Tesla starts blending in the friction brakes via software.

Reactions: Arpe
1. Sound system doesn't remember it was playing from USB key after I exit car. After I get out of the car upon returning it put itself back to bluetooth as the source even though I was on USB when I got out. Oddly, on a reboot, it will restore the source and the song and song position it was playing. - Software fix.

3. Phone is not a reliable opener. Works about 50% of the time. Have go to airplane mode and back to get it to work. Sometimes waiting quite a while will also work. I can't really expect the car to open and be ready to drive just by walking to it. - Software fix.

4. HomeLink only works about 25% of the time. Most of the time it does not transmit. If I reboot the console it will work the first time every time (then start failing again), but who wants to do that? - Software fix.

1. Can’t help you. Don’t play music off USB

2. Put them in the door pocket. It’s nice and deep, but not too deep. And is a decent size.

3. Turn off Bluetooth and then turn it back on. Get in the habit of doing that after updates, when you haven’t accessed the car for extended periods of time (greater than a day) or you’ve been in an area of zero connectivity. That will make your phone 99% workable and it takes literally a second to do.

4. Never had an issue with Homelink. I suspect not a car issue.

5. Yes, it will but it depends on terrain, how soon you let regen kick in, how fast you were going etc... You’ll get better at knowing when to lift the accelerator and how far out from the light/stop sign to get there at zero. I rarely use the break pedal.

1. Can’t help you. Don’t play music off USB. - Um yeah, my 2011 Leaf was smart enough to do this correctly.

2. Put them in the door pocket. It’s nice and deep, but not too deep. And is a decent size. - Sure, but really?

3. Turn off Bluetooth and then turn it back on. Get in the habit of doing that after updates, when you haven’t accessed the car for extended periods of time (greater than a day) or you’ve been in an area of zero connectivity. That will make your phone 99% workable and it takes literally a second to do. - Another workaround, they should just fix the apps.

4. Never had an issue with Homelink. I suspect not a car issue. - Negative Ghostrider.

5. Yes, it will but it depends on terrain, how soon you let regen kick in, how fast you were going etc... You’ll get better at knowing when to lift the accelerator and how far out from the light/stop sign to get there at zero. I rarely use the break pedal. - No, it really needs to stop more quickly.

It just needs to do the last 20 feet of stopping much faster. I'm not sure how you drive but I'm not going to coast up to the car in front for 100 ft. People would get mad at me or worse rear end me.

I’m a defensive and aware driver. I do coast because nothing good happens when you’re in a hurry to go no where. I watch all my mirrors but especially the rearview one. And because I coast and leave extra space and watch my mirror, I can move up if I see someone not paying attention or coming up my butt faster than they should. Knock on wood, but I’ve never been re-ended, though not for lack of people trying.

I’m a defensive and aware driver. I do coast because nothing good happens when you’re in a hurry to go no where. I watch all my mirrors but especially the rearview one. And because I coast and leave extra space and watch my mirror, I can move up if I see someone not paying attention or coming up my butt faster than they should. Knock on wood, but I’ve never been re-ended, though not for lack of people trying.
Are you telling me that going 5 mph in the left turn lane for a 100 ft. is a good idea?

Are you telling me that going 5 mph in the left turn lane for a 100 ft. is a good idea?

Are you moving the goalposts, adding specifics and otherwise changing the original niggle I answered you? Are you driving in the left turn lane only and always with your car?

I’ve got 17,000 miles on my 3 and I’m telling you straight up, I rarely touch the brake pedal, can get the car to come to a complete stop with just regen, and haven’t been rear ended in over 3 decades of driving all means of vehicles - and have never rear ended anyone. Probably just super lucky, but there it is.

You are on standard regen, right? Not low? I believe owners of the Chevy Bolt? say that car has a stronger regen then the 3. Tesla does listen to customers’ suggestions so if stronger regen (maybe they could call it air brake regen) is something you’d like to see in the car then drop Tesla a note.

Yes software can fix it, then software can screw it up again next time you get a new phone or new OS. This is why the phone key will never be as reliable as a fob. Great in theory. Great in a techno utopia where technology always works as it was conceived to work. Bad in reality where hardware from different manufacturers often have difficulty communicating with each other.

2. The only car sunglass holders I have seen are overhead. Model 3 is essentially all glass. Where would you suggest they put a holder?

Just get a sunglasses case and throw it one of the cubbies or pockets.

Reactions: MikeR2k
No Tesla will come to a complete stop under regen alone, as it completely cuts out by ~5mph. Sure, the car will eventually stop, but that's no different than a car in neutral slowly rolling to a stop. This behavior is unlikely to change unless Tesla starts blending in the friction brakes via software.
Wait, are you saying the software does not apply friction brakes at all ever? Or do you mean at low speeds only once regen has faded out? I thought I read somewhere that it does apply brakes when it needs to decelerate quickly in traffic or come to a stop quickly on TACC. Is that not the case?