Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Model 3 was damaged. What is the best thing to do? PICs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

This is my first post. The other day I found out that my Pearl White Model 3 has been damaged! Reviewed the Sentry footages but no luck.

Damages:
  1. Front bumper - looks like someone bumped into the car very lightly and left an impression and some clear coat cracking (scratches)
  2. Right side sill dent - this one hurts a lot as I baby the car.
My questions are:
  1. What do I do? do through insurance or just fix them out of pocket?
  2. Go to Tesla approved shops or just any body shop (in Toronto? and Where?)
  3. Do I have to make a Police report for insurance purposes?
Thanks for all your input. BTW my model 3 is not PINK ;)

IMG_20190716_210207.jpg
MVIMG_20190716_210212.jpg
MVIMG_20190716_210219.jpg
IMG_20190712_180927.jpg
IMG_20190712_181100.jpg

Sorry to hear Sentry didn't catch anything. Surprised it didn't catch footage from either of those angles.
My recommendation would be to go through your insurance and pay the deductible. Check if you have any form of claim forgiveness so your rates won't increase.

Excellence Auto in Scarborough is pretty decent. Did my panel gaps and replaced my rear glass under warranty. They are certified.

The only question that puzzles me if the one about making a police report. I am not sure what purpose that would serve. Probably going to be a big cost and I would guess more than your deductible, so I would let the insurance company know about it right away, even if you decide not to file a claim. Get independent quotes first.

If you have evidence of a hit and run (Sentry / other video sources), a police report first > file claim with insurance is the proper way to go. The police take hit and run seriously and will send an officer to investigate. Best case, they find the culprit and link your insurance to theirs and you pay nothing. Worse case has already happened (where you pay for everything).

upload_2019-7-17_13-39-32.png

Don't know what can cause this type of hit. My co-worker had his Audi dented in a similar way by a trolley used by the next door business to load their trucks with. They denied ever doing it though. Good luck.

Sorry to hear Sentry didn't catch anything. Surprised it didn't catch footage from either of those angles.
My recommendation would be to go through your insurance and pay the deductible. Check if you have any form of claim forgiveness so your rates won't increase.

Excellence Auto in Scarborough is pretty decent. Did my panel gaps and replaced my rear glass under warranty. They are certified.

Thanks!

The problem with that rocker panel is that it is a complete piece and part of the quarter panel, which then goes into the ceiling glass. I have a similar, but worse, dent that I am getting my dads body shop to repair. Going through insurance will cost a fortune.

Even more importantly your car will then have an insurance claim on it that will decrease the value of the car if you try to resell. Small issues like that I feel are better to repair yourself. When you go to sell the car, you can show the buyer pictures of the minimal damage. If you have a 10-15k repair on the carfax it runs potential buyers away.

Obviously I am a little biased given my dad has been repairing cars for 35 years lol. Hope that helps, let me know if I can help in any other way.

Excellence on Midwest did a great job on my rear bumper repair and repaint. They do a lot of Tesla's and even have 4 Tesla wall connectors on posts out front. Worth stopping by for an estimate. Get a non-insurance (self pay) repair quote as well.
Hard to see the front bumper paint damage in the photos. Best of all your car is drivable in the meantime. If parts are required you can wait until they have recieved them before booking the repair.