Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Model S makes me look like an idiot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We have a 2006 RX400h that my wife or I use (whoever is driving fewer miles that day). I've left the key in the ignition with the car running, walked away without locking the doors, no alarm set. I've done this multiple times, and in areas where the car probably should have been stolen. We're lucky we still have that car. Or maybe we're unlucky.

We have a 2006 RX400h that my wife or I use (whoever is driving fewer miles that day). I've left the key in the ignition with the car running, walked away without locking the doors, no alarm set. I've done this multiple times, and in areas where the car probably should have been stolen. We're lucky we still have that car. Or maybe we're unlucky.

I can just hear that insurance claim car..."but seriously my other car you just walk away and it locks, turns off and sets the alarm automatically." Oh sure Mr. Andrews. :biggrin:

I regularly turn on the windshield wipers in our Lexus trying to start driving, because that's where the "D" stick is in the Model S ;-)

The rental Nissan Altima that I'm driving right now waiting the get the deer damage fixed on the Model S at least has a "Start/Stop" pushbutton, but I regularly forget to set the parking brake. And I hate the door lock honk fart - if I remember to lock the car ...

Since owning a Model S, I've done every one of these things (some multiple times):

• Gotten out of the car and walked away with the car running
  • Filled-up at a gas station while the car is running
  • Walked away from the car forgetting that it doesn't lock on its own
  • Tried to get into the car without first unlocking it with the keyfob
  • Tried to drive the car without the key even in the ignition

Used to do this all the time after first getting my BMW with comfort access, every time I tried to get in someone else's car I would just start pulling on the door handle wondering why it wasn't working.

I regularly turn on the windshield wipers in our Lexus trying to start driving, because that's where the "D" stick is in the Model S ;-)

The rental Nissan Altima that I'm driving right now waiting the get the deer damage fixed on the Model S at least has a "Start/Stop" pushbutton, but I regularly forget to set the parking brake. And I hate the door lock honk fart - if I remember to lock the car ...

oh deer! Not a happy thought.

My ML320 has almost identical steering stem stalks as my Model S. You'd think a 2007 Prius wouldn't trigger muscle memory but when one uses the power button to turn the Prius off it automatically selects Park. The ML320 does not. And more than once has rolled a bit just as I start getting out.