Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Model S running my house

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have been planning to set my new home up off-grid in Socal. I knew I could use S modules but it seemed counter productive to pull apart the car and have to re-engineer the amazing hvac and charging Tesla has designed. So I bought a salvage but driving MS and hacked into the HV wires (carefully). I expected it to be very difficult and assumed I would need some software hacking. To my surprise it was easy and works perfect.

I have wired my MS to a custom 400v 25kw inverter I ordered. This will be hooked to my solar panels and auto switches between PV & EV based on available PV voltage. I hooked the car and the panels up and it works perfect.

In the mean time I have the ability to hook it up to my current house and run the house without problem. I expected the MS to not like the phantom current draw but so far it has worked perfectly for hours on end in dog mode.
20210827_154727.jpg
20210827_154316.jpg

Hah...one glance and I thought hey that looks like the Sandi phase converter we just got at work, then I zoomed in... yep :)
I would love to find a reasonably priced ~2kW 400v inverter to use for the same purpose. Easy plug in at the front.

Reactions: twiersum
Pretty awesome. Why do need dog mode? Is it because you need the contactor to be closed?

Where in the trunk did you tap into the HV wires?

Needs more details!
Yes, need to keep contacts closed.

I accessed the HV wires going in to motor. Turned off 12v and emergency disconnect...pulled plug over plastic cover, checked for 0 volts, removed bolts on HV wires. I then drilled holes in plastic cover and used metric studs with nut inside to tighten HV cables. Some insulators outside the plastic covers and two nuts on each stud to wire leads too. Sealed it all up & ran wires up into trunk side pocket.

I used a dead charging cable backwards for now since my max draw would be 40 amps to run my house for emergency purposes. I'll reinstall with HV cables when I install in the new house.

This picture was when I was testing it.
20210816_101030.jpg