Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Model-X resale value just dropped significantly

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You don't have to be an ass... I wish I were dreaming, that way I'd have AP 2 :)
And it still says December 2016 right on their website: tesla.com

The goal was to shed realistic light on the complexities of the SW development, and what was involved. That maybe once translated for Tesla time it wouldn't be such bad news for the OP.

The Dec 2016 estimate given by Tesla isn't just for feature parity, but to exceed it at least in terms of AP. That date is when Tesla expects not only have the active safety features, but to also have Enhanced-AP. That's an extremely gutsy estimate.

Last edited:
Ok, may I just remind everyone that it took a year after AP 1 was announced for the software to enable it.

People cancelled the orders or bought new cars directly after the announcement, and they ended up driving through 33% of the lifetime of the lease before they for the first time saw AP.

So don't feel too bad. It's not like if you took delivery last week, the owner who will pick it up in a week is going to start having AP 2 and you don't.

Not by a LONG shot. You didn't miss it by a week or a month - you missed it by a year. So enjoy your car for the next year - it will pretty much still be the same as cars coming off the delivery line for the foreseeable future.

Very true, and there will continue to be new feature every year (or more often). Thus these cars with AP2 will be outdated, new interiors will eventually come, new battery tech/range, new exteriors, etc. Can't treat Teslas like iPhones IMHO...

I don't think it has dropped as much as some people think. This is still a desirable car, both S and X. Tesla probably figured people would think this and is going to still resell these cars at a higher price. Maybe not as much as before but not drastically different. Just my thoughts, but I don't think it'll drop a lot until the SW is closer to being released.

The goal was to shed realistic light on the complexities of the SW development, and what was involved. That maybe once translated for Tesla time it wouldn't be such bad news for the OP.

Also need to consider the complexity of regulatory review and approval process at the Federal level as well as at the state level. I am sure ICE car lobbist is already setting up road blocks.

Never feel comfortable when I hand over hard cash for a product that is still subject to Government approval without even a provisional approval. All dressed up and no where to go.

"Before activating the features enabled by the new hardware, we will further calibrate the system using millions of miles of real-world driving to ensure significant improvements to safety and convenience. While this is occurring, Teslas with new hardware will temporarily lack certain features currently available on Teslas with first-generation Autopilot hardware, including some standard safety features such as automatic emergency braking, collision warning, lane holding and active cruise control. As these features are robustly validated we will enable them over the air, together with a rapidly expanding set of entirely new features. As always, our over-the-air software updates will keep customers at the forefront of technology and continue to make every Tesla, including those equipped with first-generation Autopilot and earlier cars, more capable over time."

So for the next several months our Autopilot 1.0 will actually be better until they "turn 2.0 on."

No different than any other car that you buy the last year before a major redesign. Of course I assume mine is now worth more because my color has been dropped! :rolleyes:

one thing we will have to get used to is Tesla does not follow the "normal" car model redesign cycle that we are used to. It is much shorter and much more frequent. Every 6 month? Or do we order new cars based on Tesla Stock movement?

Where are the Russian hackers when you needed one?

• Funny
Reactions: Hitman007
"Before activating the features enabled by the new hardware, we will further calibrate the system using millions of miles of real-world driving to ensure significant improvements to safety and convenience. While this is occurring, Teslas with new hardware will temporarily lack certain features currently available on Teslas with first-generation Autopilot hardware, including some standard safety features such as automatic emergency braking, collision warning, lane holding and active cruise control. As these features are robustly validated we will enable them over the air, together with a rapidly expanding set of entirely new features. As always, our over-the-air software updates will keep customers at the forefront of technology and continue to make every Tesla, including those equipped with first-generation Autopilot and earlier cars, more capable over time."

So for the next several months our Autopilot 1.0 will actually be better until they "turn 2.0 on."
Yes that will help you feel better for a couple more months, but after that AP1 is history.

No worries. AP2 is a great sensor suite, but really depends if you want to drive, or want to sit and monitor a car driving. The car won't drive nearly as smart and efficiently as most of us (I think) and no way it can deal with typical city driving here in Chicago at least. You can't go anywhere without road hazzards in the road, on the road, the road itself, construction, trucks/cars parked in the road that you have to break the law to go around, squeeze through, etc. - all the time. YEARS away for many reasons, so besides just reading the cool marketing written descriptions that are way out there, think about how this would really operate in reality in your scenario. A current MX will be a great car for many years to come (if it physically stays together) and will still be more advanced even then than most cars on the road. Plus, fun to drive.

I am getting the exact same vehicle in November. Do you think they will try to charge us more for the advanced auto pilot feature? I only paid $2500 for auto pilot

Yea I'm hoping there's some sort of discount. Maybe they will offer a 50%, I ordered at $3000 and paying a thousand extra is not too bad

They also jacked up the software upgrade premiums to $1000 so I would want to have it included, at least the basic package.