Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Model Y smells, does it happen to yours?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I agree - likely the A/C though after 1 month, that's a bit odd. I just cleaned out my condenser coil on our M3 when it started to have that musky mildew smell after two years. Haven't seen it on our MY yet but if it's built similar to the M3, the cleaning could be just as easy.

I watched this vid before doing my M3 (in case it's similar to the Y):

I just got my model Y about a month ago. Every time when I start the car, it smells like a rotten apple or vinegar. It goes away after running AC for 2 minutes. I don't know what is going on. Does it happen to anyone else?
Mine smells like a new car. If it clears after the AC is in seems it must be something in the passenger compartment? Sorry probably not very helpful. Hate to say it but maybe driving it to clear the smell then using the nose to sniff it out after you park?

Yes same here. Vinegar smell when starting the car and auto climate. Car has less than 1000 miles and is about a month old...

Only additions to the car I have are tesmanian floor mats, center console wrap, and screen protector.

I have info. So - Ive had the Y since July. Never turned on the rear AC until today - just because. MAN it stunk! So - Ive use the front Ac for 2 months - no smell - I turn on the back - stink. I wonder if its not bacteria rather some adhesives they used in ducting.

Had same issue with Model 3 - vinegar/musty smell few minutes when first turning on the AC.

Fixed the problem by cleaning the ducts (with foam cleanser as previously posted) and replacing the cabin filters.

I use AC the whole time on my 1.5 hour daily commute - most of the time in recirc on due stop and go traffic.

One way to prevent the smell from reoccurring, for me, is to disable recirc mode few minutes before end of my drive. And vent the windows several hours at end of day/drive to let the ducts/AC fixture dry up.

I don't have the same issue with my Model Y since delivery in March.

Our MY is 3 week old and has about 900 miles on it. Today we started experiencing vinegar like smell. Did anyone had their issue reviewed by SC yet? Any more insights on how we can have Tesla resolve this under warranty. Sad to see new car having such issues.

drove about 100 miles today -- from when I entered the car what - a - stink. to me - this smell isn't your usual AC/standing water smell. This smell is more like a chemical smell - yes vinegar - but with a chemical base. Hope its not hazardous besides being gross. I have an appointment in 2 weeks - I'll make them look at it. they will probably wreck something else in the process.

Are all you Vinegar smelling guys based out in the West coast? Back when we had our first hot weather streak in July, I noticed my other car developed a vinegar smell for the first few minutes of running the a/c. I checked the cabin air filter(last changed 2 years ago) and it was filthy. Changed it out with a new one and smell was gone. Its pretty obvious, bacteria was festering in the heat but I found it odd that this is the first time its happened in the 7 years i've owned this car.

Are all you Vinegar smelling guys based out in the West coast? Back when we had our first hot weather streak in July, I noticed my other car developed a vinegar smell for the first few minutes of running the a/c. I checked the cabin air filter(last changed 2 years ago) and it was filthy. Changed it out with a new one and smell was gone. Its pretty obvious, bacteria was festering in the heat but I found it odd that this is the first time its happened in the 7 years i've owned this car.
Last one to report a smell was in NJ - and I don't want to hear any snarky comments about New Jersey smell!