Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My MS's fan was ON for 2-days

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

phaduman

Supporting Member
Sep 16, 2016
San Jose
We came back from spring break to notice our plugged-in MS75D's fans were ON (loud noise that you cannot help but notice). Wife and I both were worried how long had it been on - I said it must have been for a short while because a plugged in Tesla is a happy Tesla - so it works to keep the battery in optimum temperature bla bla...Our car was plugged in for the entire week we were out.

I went back and checked my nest cam recording in my garage and see that the car's fan was ON for close to 3 days. From April 5th to April 8th - continuously (as in, I clicked at various 2-3hr gaps in continuous recording and noticed the same fan noise). It only stopped when I unlocked the car and turned off the AC (yes, AC was on when I last locked the car a week ago). Also, the Nav update (Beta) notification was up on the screen. The car's s/w was updated on March 30th (2018.12) just before we went out for spring break.

Should I just forget about it? Should I call Tesla and ask them to check the logs? Not so concerned if this is a one-time thing, but worried about overheating/damaging some parts due to constant-ON for 36+hrs.

Thx

We came back from spring break to notice our plugged-in MS75D's fans were ON (loud noise that you cannot help but notice). Wife and I both were worried how long had it been on - I said it must have been for a short while because a plugged in Tesla is a happy Tesla - so it works to keep the battery in optimum temperature bla bla...Our car was plugged in for the entire week we were out.

I went back and checked my nest cam recording in my garage and see that the car's fan was ON for close to 3 days. From April 5th to April 8th - continuously (as in, I clicked at various 2-3hr gaps in continuous recording and noticed the same fan noise). It only stopped when I unlocked the car and turned off the AC (yes, AC was on when I last locked the car a week ago). Also, the Nav update (Beta) notification was up on the screen. The car's s/w was updated on March 30th (2018.12) just before we went out for spring break.

Should I just forget about it? Should I call Tesla and ask them to check the logs? Not so concerned if this is a one-time thing, but worried about overheating/damaging some parts due to constant-ON for 36+hrs.

Thx

Did you turn on the feature to keep the cabin at a set temperature?

By fans do you mean the AC/Climate control fans or the cooling system for the battery?

Did you turn on the feature to keep the cabin at a set temperature?

By fans do you mean the AC/Climate control fans or the cooling system for the battery?
car was garaged and temp remained between 55-65 (northern california mild weather). I have the cabin overheat protection OFF. And, the noise was from front of the car - I am assuming the fan was for cooling the battery coolants (which is somehow tied to the AC too)?

Any chance a door wasn’t fully closed? That causes the car to stay on.
it was locked and for the first 4 days of our vacation, car was completely quiet. I could trace back and hear the sounds start on April 5th - after what looked like a start of charging (to top off). I had the battery set to 50% charge (during the vacation days).