Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My NEMA 14-50 Installation Experience

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I learned so much from this forum that I feel I must share my experience of installing NEMA 14-50 in my garage just in case it helps anyone. My model 3 was delivered on July 19, 2018. On July 17 I went to Home depot where the electrical aisle guy was very helpful. All the parts I bought (see receipt for part numbers and price) cost about $50. I only bought 6 ft long 6 gage wire as the circuit box was right on the other side of the garage. My trusted handyman, Eric, installed the outlet in less than 5 hours and charged me $200.

I put a 50 amps circuit breaker (after reading a post in this forum). But now I see in tesla site that they recommend a 60 amps breaker. But my 50 amps is working fine (without tripping the circuit), so I guess it is okay to leave it alone.

I get about 30 miles/hour of charging and the charging cable gets slightly warm, which is understandable given the high amps the cable carries. But is this a common experience?

I also could not figure out how to set a start time for the charging (after midnight electricity is cheaper in san diego and probably everywhere else). In case the app does not have that option yet, is there any other solution to this problem (like buying a timer or something?).
MVIMG_20180723_082253.jpg
IMG_20180723_082320.jpg
MVIMG_20180723_082253.jpg
IMG_20180723_082320.jpg

Yes, the cable is going to get hot. Just avoid coiling it too tightly, and you won't have any problems.

To schedule charging, you go to the charging screen on the Model 3 (press the little lightning bolt icon). There is a scheduled charging checkbox, check it and you can then set the time at which you wish for charging to start. Done.

I put a 50 amps circuit breaker (after reading a post in this forum). But now I see in tesla site that they recommend a 60 amps breaker. But my 50 amps is working fine (without tripping the circuit), so I guess it is okay to leave it alone.
You have it correct as is. 50 amp breaker is the right one for a 50 amp outlet (NEMA-1450).

If you had installed the Tesla Wall Connector then it would be reasonable to install a 60 amp breaker so that the car could draw 48 amps, but that is not what you are using, so no problem.

You have it correct as is. 50 amp breaker is the right one for a 50 amp outlet (NEMA-1450).

If you had installed the Tesla Wall Connector then it would be reasonable to install a 60 amp breaker so that the car could draw 48 amps, but that is not what you are using, so no problem.
Thank you! (wish there was a simpler way to say thanks without crowding out the excellent posts in this forum).

To be extra clear: it would be a code violation & safety hazard to put a 60A breaker on a 50A outlet.

Just to mention, it is almost certainly against local regs to have a non-licensed electrician install this without a permit. Not something people should emulate.
Local regs do not require a licensed electrician (or any other trade) to do permitted work. The work simply must meet code.

As to permits, yes they are technically required, even just to replace an outlet in many jurisdictions, but IMHO, mostly to generate revenue for the agency.

• Helpful
Reactions: TaoJones
Just to mention, it is almost certainly against local regs to have a non-licensed electrician install this without a permit. Not something people should emulate.
Just want to clarify that in most area, an owner could do the work himself for a project like this, if he is so inclined. If you hire and pay someone they must be licensed, true. But we don't know if his handyman was/is.
I am doing my own, although I have worked for an electrical contractor when I was in college.

Local regs do not require a licensed electrician (or any other trade) to do permitted work. The work simply must meet code.

As to permits, yes they are technically required, even just to replace an outlet in many jurisdictions, but IMHO, mostly to generate revenue for the agency.
Where I live, the cost of the project has to be more than $500 to require a permit. (However, it still must meet code.)

I learned so much from this forum that I feel I must share my experience of installing NEMA 14-50 in my garage just in case it helps anyone. My model 3 was delivered on July 19, 2018. On July 17 I went to Home depot where the electrical aisle guy was very helpful. All the parts I bought (see receipt for part numbers and price) cost about $50. I only bought 6 ft long 6 gage wire as the circuit box was right on the other side of the garage. My trusted handyman, Eric, installed the outlet in less than 5 hours and charged me $200.

I get about 30 miles/hour of charging and the charging cable gets slightly warm, which is understandable given the high amps the cable carries. But is this a common experience?

View attachment 319389 View attachment 319390 View attachment 319389 View attachment 319390
You might want to dial back the charge current to 32 amps. It's more efficient, less heat, less chance of meltdown (14-50 sockets are not always up to spec). I have a hardwired HPWC and find 32 amp charging works well for my needs. It only takes a few hours overnight and it's always completed by morning.

No, not with NM-B cable (that's what's on the receipt). You cannot put a 60A breaker on 6 ga NM (aka romex); with NM you must use the 60deg C column, which limits you to 50A max.

6 Ga wire in conduit can use the 75 deg C column, which would allow a 60A breaker.