TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

My NEMA 14-50 Installation Experience

Discussion in 'Model 3: Battery & Charging' started by [email protected], Jul 23, 2018.

1. Sooby@sdsu

I learned so much from this forum that I feel I must share my experience of installing NEMA 14-50 in my garage just in case it helps anyone. My model 3 was delivered on July 19, 2018. On July 17 I went to Home depot where the electrical aisle guy was very helpful. All the parts I bought (see receipt for part numbers and price) cost about $50. I only bought 6 ft long 6 gage wire as the circuit box was right on the other side of the garage. My trusted handyman, Eric, installed the outlet in less than 5 hours and charged me $200.

I put a 50 amps circuit breaker (after reading a post in this forum). But now I see in tesla site that they recommend a 60 amps breaker. But my 50 amps is working fine (without tripping the circuit), so I guess it is okay to leave it alone.

I get about 30 miles/hour of charging and the charging cable gets slightly warm, which is understandable given the high amps the cable carries. But is this a common experience?

I also could not figure out how to set a start time for the charging (after midnight electricity is cheaper in san diego and probably everywhere else). In case the app does not have that option yet, is there any other solution to this problem (like buying a timer or something?). MVIMG_20180723_082253.jpg IMG_20180723_082320.jpg MVIMG_20180723_082253.jpg IMG_20180723_082320.jpg

• Helpful x 1
    • Love x 1
  2. flashflooder

flashflooder Member

Yes, the cable is going to get hot. Just avoid coiling it too tightly, and you won't have any problems.

To schedule charging, you go to the charging screen on the Model 3 (press the little lightning bolt icon). There is a scheduled charging checkbox, check it and you can then set the time at which you wish for charging to start. Done.

• Helpful x 1
    • Informative x 1
  3. Sooby@sdsu

Thanks! I should have thought of coiling the cable loosely. In my app (Versin: 2018.24.8 25f83c2) I don't see the schedule charging checkbox.

4. KJD

KJD Supporting Member

You have it correct as is. 50 amp breaker is the right one for a 50 amp outlet (NEMA-1450).

If you had installed the Tesla Wall Connector then it would be reasonable to install a 60 amp breaker so that the car could draw 48 amps, but that is not what you are using, so no problem.

• Like x 4
    • Disagree x 1
  5. flashflooder

flashflooder Member

You have to set the schedule on the car itself.

6. Sooby@sdsu

Thank you! (wish there was a simpler way to say thanks without crowding out the excellent posts in this forum).

7. Sooby@sdsu

Thank you! (wish there was a simpler way to say thanks without crowding out the excellent posts in this forum).

8. iluvmacs

iluvmacs Member

To be extra clear: it would be a code violation & safety hazard to put a 60A breaker on a 50A outlet.

• Like x 3
    • Informative x 2
    • Helpful x 1
  9. davewill

davewill Member

Just to mention, it is almost certainly against local regs to have a non-licensed electrician install this without a permit. Not something people should emulate.

10. Need

Need Active Member

OP did you get any quotes from local electricians? I paid $320 including parts and labor and it took about 35 to 45 min to install. The trick is to not tell them it is for a Tesla.

11. TexasEV

TexasEV Well-Known Member

• Informative x 1
  12. brucet999

brucet999 Active Member

Local regs do not require a licensed electrician (or any other trade) to do permitted work. The work simply must meet code.

As to permits, yes they are technically required, even just to replace an outlet in many jurisdictions, but IMHO, mostly to generate revenue for the agency.

• Helpful x 1
  13. Swampgator

Swampgator Member

Just want to clarify that in most area, an owner could do the work himself for a project like this, if he is so inclined. If you hire and pay someone they must be licensed, true. But we don't know if his handyman was/is.
    I am doing my own, although I have worked for an electrical contractor when I was in college.

14. mspohr

mspohr Active Member

Where I live, the cost of the project has to be more than $500 to require a permit. (However, it still must meet code.)

15. mspohr

mspohr Active Member

You might want to dial back the charge current to 32 amps. It's more efficient, less heat, less chance of meltdown (14-50 sockets are not always up to spec). I have a hardwired HPWC and find 32 amp charging works well for my needs. It only takes a few hours overnight and it's always completed by morning.

16. Swampgator

Swampgator Member

I believe 32 amps is all you can get with the Tesla Model 3 UMC

• Informative x 2
  17. TexasEV

TexasEV Well-Known Member

No need. That’s a Gen 2 UMC. 32A is the maximum it charges at with the 14-50 adapter.

• Like x 2
    • Informative x 1
  18. boriszima

boriszima Member

Thanks for all the insightful information.
    @Need - Have you had experience that electricians would charge more if you tell them its for Tesla?

19. tga

tga Supporting Member

No, not with NM-B cable (that's what's on the receipt). You cannot put a 60A breaker on 6 ga NM (aka romex); with NM you must use the 60deg C column, which limits you to 50A max.

6 Ga wire in conduit can use the 75 deg C column, which would allow a 60A breaker.

• Helpful x 1
    • Love x 1
  20. ribeye27

ribeye27 Member

I am thinking about doing this, but curious what is the size of the main for others who have done it? My panel has a 125A and think that's probably too low to add another breaker