Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My new Model Y’s range is great!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m pretty pleased with it in my daily driving. This is two days worth of commuting in the Northern Virginia/DC area. Yesterday and today. Half of my commute is surface streets at about 45-50 mph and a few stoplights. The other half is interstate at about 65-70. Temps were high 70s to low 80s in the mornings and low to mid 90s in the afternoons. I’m what I consider a responsible driver. I don’t drive like a grandma but because I spend so much time commuting I put a lot of emphasis on going with the flow. Tailgating, racing to fill a gap ahead, slamming on the breaks, weaving between lanes, etc. are not worth the mental toll to me. Good following distance and moderate accelerations are more my style when driving. I’m on autopilot for at least half of the commute. This is the Long Range AWD with Induction wheels and stock tires. I have the AC set to 70 in the morning and 68 in the afternoon. No rain either day.

Edit: started with 90% charge.

DF43EC68-882D-4DEE-A6B5-F0BE7C6754D9.jpeg

Would love if you could reset a trip log and just track the wh/mi usage for like a 20+ mile stretch of 65-75 highway driving. I suspect mixed range on the Y will always be good, Tesla is great at low speeds and with regen, but people have been showing pretty consistent 295 to 310 wh/mi when cruising at 70mph...

Reactions: quadroplexor
Would love if you could reset a trip log and just track the wh/mi usage for like a 20+ mile stretch of 65-75 highway driving. I suspect mixed range on the Y will always be good, Tesla is great at low speeds and with regen, but people have been showing pretty consistent 295 to 310 wh/mi when cruising at 70mph...

We drove to Richmond and back on Sunday. 98% of that trip was on the interstate going 70-75. I didn’t take a photo but the Wh/mile when we got home was 256. That was my Road Trip meter that you can just see in the bottom of my photo. None of my driving has resulted in averaging 295-310. That sounds too high. We averaged 340 in the Model X over 40k miles and multiple 800 mile trips towing a trailer. I think a lot depends on driving tendencies. Most people race to the next stop light, follow too closely on the interstate, and generally drive in break, accelerate, brake, accelerate pattern that is inefficient.

IMO, mixed driving the best indicator of efficiency. Who drives solely on the freeway at 65-70?

I just took a photo of the Road Trip meter and my “Since Delivery” trip meter for reference. The road trip pic obviously includes the 150 miles of commuting and thus the efficiency has increased but it was 256 at the end of a 194 mile round trip at interstate speeds. The since delivery includes towing a trailer and spirited driving on occasion. I expect that to come down.

89247AC0-BE1A-4053-9177-3B8584433E6F.jpeg
D4CEED08-F05D-494F-A36D-3FB49468656E.jpg

• Love
Reactions: JManangan
This is from this morning on I-95 in the rain. Only the highway driving is included in this trip meter, it does include the on-ramp. Speeds were a bit slower, 60-65 the average probably closer to 60. It’s not bad considering the water on the road.

EEF9806C-9AC3-4DBC-B50D-86C9942F15D6.jpeg

I view anyone claiming under 300wh/mi as suspect.

What evidence will remove your suspicion? A screen shot of TeslaFi showing the 754 miles I've driven since signing up showing 227 Wh/mi?
Screenshot_20200812-205133_Chrome.jpg

My Wh/mi has been steadily improving, but even my lifetime, including every mile the car has ever driven is way below 300 Wh/mi. Hopefully this screenshot of my lifetime power usage will alleviate some suspicion. I expect my lifetime Wh/mi will drop below 250 within a few weeks. The MY with 19" wheels really is a very efficient vehicle.

20200812_204820.jpg

You guys need to do some ~100 mile or longer range tests and post it to YouTube. You’ll absolutely blow up with views. Almost every YouTube video I’ve seen (and most are pro Tesla so I don’t think they’re trying to bash it) show just under 300 at the best, but many 305 to 315 for highway cruising in moderate temperatures (mid 70s to low 90s).

This afternoon I had to rush up to Orange County for a small family emergency. 152 miles, 272 wh/mi. No jackrabbit starts but I was traveling 70 to 80 most of the way. For the life of the vehicle I'm around 295 wh/mi according to the car so I consider this pretty good.

• Disagree
Reactions: am_dmd
Alex on Autos -
20 inch Inductions -
~308 Wh/mi over 10 miles at ~75mph with AC off
~350 Wh/mi over same stretch at same speed with AC on
Mixed run (Max 72mph) over ~70 miles with AC on ~364 Wh/mi

—————————————

i1Tesla -
Performance with 21 inch Uberturbines & LR with 19 inch Gemini - driving same ~90 mile route at the same time with AC on - 285 Wh/mi for Performance and 291 Wh/mi for LR

—————————————

Out of Spec Motoring -
19 inch Gemini LR - “extreme heat” ~100F 70 mph range test - 253 miles and 286 Wh/mi

—————————————

Sean Mitchell -
~270 mile run at 268 Wh/mi in the LR with Inductions at 65 to 75mph
~240 mile run at 276 Wh/mi in the Performance with Uberturbines

Tom Moloughney
19 inch Gemini - 70mph road test to 0% with AC - 275 miles achieved 260 Wh/mi

I figure I'll need 74000 watts / 316 mi = 234 Wh/mi to hit rated range. Fortunately, I am below that on my normal commute.

279 Wh/mi seems to be about where the rated range line is on the energy screen. 74000/279=265. I don't know to reconcile that with the 316 mile rated range.

• Informative
Reactions: empiredown
I figure I'll need 74000 watts / 316 mi = 234 Wh/mi to hit rated range. Fortunately, I am below that on my normal commute.

279 Wh/mi seems to be about where the rated range line is on the energy screen. 74000/279=265. I don't know to reconcile that with the 316 mile rated range.

The full battery is 77.5kWh (3-3.5kWh buffer), so that puts your rated at 245Wh/mi if you were to drain the buffer (if the BMS allows it?).
In the real world: Driving for 315mi @ 65mph would take ~5 hours
- Base load: ~350W -> 1.75kWh
- HVAC load: ~1.2kW -> 6kWh
Leaves you with around 66kWh usable (plus ~3.5kWh buffer) for drive energy, assuming the display only counts drive energy Wh/Mi, you’d need to do ~210Wh/mi.

I don’t understand all the focus on the highway/high-speed range. “I’m going to prove that the Model Y can’t go 316 miles at 70 mph!” 316 miles at 70mph is not an expectation based in reality. I don’t think Tesla is making that claim either. If you need to be able to hit 300+ miles at 70 mph then this car isn’t for you.

There seems to be a dismissive attitude towards mixed driving as if it doesn’t count towards real world range. Daily driving for most people isn’t 100% highway at 70mph. The majority of my driving is a healthy mix of city/rural roads and highways. This is why I posted my commuting numbers. For those who, like me, want to know what real world daily driving efficiency looks like.

“Yeah but how far can you go at 70?” Who cares. That’s what Superchargers are for.

Last edited:
The full battery is 77.5kWh (3-3.5kWh buffer), so that puts your rated at 245Wh/mi if you were to drain the buffer (if the BMS allows it?).
In the real world: Driving for 315mi @ 65mph would take ~5 hours
- Base load: ~350W -> 1.75kWh
- HVAC load: ~1.2kW -> 6kWh
Leaves you with around 66kWh usable (plus ~3.5kWh buffer) for drive energy, assuming the display only counts drive energy Wh/Mi, you’d need to do ~210Wh/mi.

Doesn't the Wh/mi reported by my car include the HVAC when driving? (I know it doesn't include pre-cool). If so, my 227 Wh/mi is well over the 316 mile rated range.

I

“Yeah but how far can you go at 70?” Who cares. That’s what Superchargers are for.

Wife and I are 67+ every time we see a Rest Stop sign there's a good chance one of use needs a bio break. So our MY's 300+ range exceeds our bladders and old bones.

So now we look at where the SC'ers are and will stop as needed, a wee bit more range added is a bonus, and I can keep my battery in the sweet spot of 20% to 80% as well.