Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My new Model Y's range SUCKS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Similar issue raised in reddit, going to paste my response here as well.

Use 70% of the EPA range for a safe estimate. This isn’t really limited to Tesla - my Toyota Prius had a 570 mile EPA range, but I really only got 400 miles out of it - which is exactly 70%. You can thus expect your Model Y to have a real-world range of 224 miles when doing off-the-cuff road trip calculations. I usually just multiply the remaining percentage by 2 to get a safe lower bound.
Also use abetterrouteplanner.com for road trips in the future - it gives a mostly reliable plan on where / if you should stop to charge on your trip.

Reactions: Feathermerchan
I actually agree with that 70% estimate. The epa estimate is complete BS if you don't live in a fair weather state. Rain, wind, temps, short drives, and highway speeds all massively impact range. Rolling resistance on tires do as well

I had two model 3's, and now the model Y. I'm not encouraged by the wh/mi I'm seeing during a week of ownership. Granted I've put on different tires that surely impact range by a 10% hit....

Temps: 45-59
Rain off and on
Majority of driving is highway, going the speed limit or 5mph over. Probably 70mph on average.

310-320 wh/mi is my average right now. Driving around town, with the battery warm, and ambient temps at like 50, I saw around 280. In my model 3, I seem to remember 65 degrees the tipping of point of much better efficiency.

Here's a highway range test from earlier this year:

- 253.4 miles @ 70 mph avg
- 73 kWh @ 286 Wh/mi

Similar issue raised in reddit, going to paste my response here as well.

Use 70% of the EPA range for a safe estimate. This isn’t really limited to Tesla - my Toyota Prius had a 570 mile EPA range, but I really only got 400 miles out of it - which is exactly 70%. You can thus expect your Model Y to have a real-world range of 224 miles when doing off-the-cuff road trip calculations. I usually just multiply the remaining percentage by 2 to get a safe lower bound.
Also use abetterrouteplanner.com for road trips in the future - it gives a mostly reliable plan on where / if you should stop to charge on your trip.

One more data point. My wife and I drove from Harrisburg to Cranberry Twp on the PA Turnpike yesterday and today; a trip of 230 miles. If you have driven this road it’s not exactly flat as it goes through and over the PA mountains. We started with the battery preconditioned and a 90% SOC. The temps were in the high 20s to low 30s with 10-20 mph head winds. We had the seat heaters on with the climate set to 70 on Auto. I drove the speed limit, 70 mph, or slightly below. Watt per mile ranged from a low of 330- to a high of 400. We stopped two times to charge for about 45 minutes total and arrived in Cranberry with a 40% SOC. We SC on arrival in Cranberry to 80% SOC.

What difference a day makes! Temps in the high 40s to low 50s with no wind to speak of. Climate control and driving speed the same as on the way out. The car was cold when we started as it wasn’t plugged in overnight. I didn’t have regenerative braking until the car started preconditioning the battery for our planned SC stop. We stopped one time to charge for about 25 minutes. Watt per mile averaged 230-280W/mi with the last 150 miles at 243 w/mi which is close to the rated range of the car. See attached photo.

Bottom line, if it’s cold and windy plan to SC as range is significantly impacted.

We will be traveling to FL this January with a car full of stuff plus two bikes on the back. This will be new territory for us. I am planning on a potential 25 -40% range hit because of the bikes and the weather.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    295.6 KB · Views: 96
  • Informative
Reactions: Koolio46