Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My new Model Y's range SUCKS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am at 1800 mi on odometer right now and standard daily commute trip to work chips off 30 miles from my range while being only 20 mi in actual distance. 80% highway at 70-75 mph and 20% in town with 40-50 mph.

Car shows 290 W/mi but I feel that 200 miles out of 90% charge level is "no bueno". What am I missing?

Sergio - That is about right. We just drove DFW to Phila recently and on 90-100% charge we drove about that distance between Superchargers. We did four legs the first day and four the second day. Each leg ~180 mi. We have <10,000 miles on the car. You can bump the range a little by running 45 psi cold in the tires.

Sergio - That is about right. We just drove DFW to Phila recently and on 90-100% charge we drove about that distance between Superchargers. We did four legs the first day and four the second day. Each leg ~180 mi. We have <10,000 miles on the car. You can bump the range a little by running 45 psi cold in the tires.

Thank you for the response. I will try reducing speed to 65 and see what happens, but it is very annoying since everybody is driving 80 mph here in CT :D

Try slowing down to 65 to 70 MPH for a comparison of the Wh/mi. Also, what is the round trip utilization? If could be that you are only looking at the uphill run and not factoring in the return trip in the overall efficiency.

If you like the Wh/mi you get at 65 to 70 MPH but want still greater driving efficiency then try 60 to 65 MPH as the slower you drive your efficiency gets even better. I drove a Chevy Volt before my Model Y, I found that 62 to 63 MPH was about as fast as I would want to drive the Volt if I wanted to maximize my EV range. Of course the Volt could also use gas, best efficiency was achieved by maintained similar speeds but not faster than 70 MPH.

It is roundtrip data, sorry for not specifying that fact in the original post.
I am just frustrated that at adequate speed of 70-75 mph I am getting 2/3 of promised range...

Just finished watching this video where they explain how tire width (not much impact), rolling resistance (some impact) and wheel size (large impact) impacts range. At 7:44 they put up a graph that is for a Model 3 Performance with 18", 19" and 20" wheels. What is readily apparent from the graph is just how much your speed impacts your potential range.

This Video Shows How Tires Can Make A Massive Difference For EVs

Newbie here. Just signed up today, even though my Y dates to the end of July and has 5700 miles on it. I also posted over on the winter tire thread. My 5700 miles includes a 2500 mile trip for a socially distanced family visit with my partner to SD and MN, so, a lot of highway miles on I 90! My average Wh/mile over the 5700 mile is 265. I typically drive 70on the Interstate unless I have a specific reason to go faster. With winter here now, 70 will be a bit less frequent.

It is roundtrip data, sorry for not specifying that fact in the original post.
I am just frustrated that at adequate speed of 70-75 mph I am getting 2/3 of promised range...

The issue is with the EPA test procedure, which averages 48 mph overall and never exceeds 65 mph.

My previous vehicle’s EPA Highway rating was 27 mpg, but I typically saw ~24 mpg.

Reactions: brkaus and Gator99
Newbie here. Just signed up today, even though my Y dates to the end of July and has 5700 miles on it. I also posted over on the winter tire thread. My 5700 miles includes a 2500 mile trip for a socially distanced family visit with my partner to SD and MN, so, a lot of highway miles on I 90! My average Wh/mile over the 5700 mile is 265. I typically drive 70on the Interstate unless I have a specific reason to go faster. With winter here now, 70 will be a bit less frequent.
I can relate, my lifetime Wh/mi in 1500 miles has been ~270Wh/mi, mostly local driving. To achieve the updated EPA range estimate for the Long Range Dual Motor Model Y of 326 miles would require a consumption of 227 Wh/mi (it was 234 Wh/mi under the original range estimate of 316 miles.) It would take exceptional discipline when driving a Model Y, including a portion of the driving being on the highway, to match either number. A more realistic range estimate for the Long Range Dual Motor Model Y would be ~280 miles, leave it at that.

Last edited:
People really get up on range with electrics and I really don't understand why.

When I had my Audi A7 it was stated at 24 mpg. If I was cruising on the freeway I basically got that.

But I like have having "FUN" while driving, especially on surface streets. Plus I like having the AC on high, even in winter, the seat heaters on high, the radio on high. That plus surface street starts and stops I routinely got EIGHT, YES EIGHT MPG ; which is like a Lamborghini. People with Ferrari's, Porsche's, etc don't complain about their MPG.

The faster you drive, the harder you drive, the more you have on, etc the worse your range is.

Tesla owners seem OBSESED with their range if it doesn't exactly match publish numbers under limited and ideal circumstances.

If you can afford a Tesla, if you're buying a Tesla, what's an extra quarter of electricity? Really!

People really get up on range with electrics...

When I had my Audi A7 it was stated at 24 mpg.

Tesla owners seem OBSESED with their range if it doesn't exactly match publish numbers under limited and ideal circumstances.

If you can afford a Tesla, if you're buying a Tesla, what's an extra quarter of electricity? Really!

It’s not the cost, it’s the inconvenience that causes concern, IMO.

You could refill your A7’s tank in 5 minutes, even if you had to do that every other day.

If not at a Supercharger, “refilling” a Tesla takes hours.

If at a Supercharger, 20-50 minutes.

Driving an EV does require extra planning compared to an ICE vehicle when exceeding the battery’s range, whatever that range number might be.

Most people don’t drive further than even an SR’s range most days, so it’s more of a theoretical problem most of the time than an actual problem, but once that range is exceeded, if you’re not near a Supercharger, it becomes a problem.

It’s not the cost, it’s the inconvenience that causes concern, IMO.

You could refill your A7’s tank in 5 minutes, even if you had to do that every other day.

If not at a Supercharger, “refilling” a Tesla takes hours.

If at a Supercharger, 20-50 minutes.

Driving an EV does require extra planning compared to an ICE vehicle when exceeding the battery’s range, whatever that range number might be.

Most people don’t drive further than even an SR’s range most days, so it’s more of a theoretical problem most of the time than an actual problem, but once that range is exceeded, if you’re not near a Supercharger, it becomes a problem.

I can refill my (two) Tesla's every night and without having to drive the extra miles, wait in line, deal with broken or dirty pumps. By charging at home overnight while I sleep. I get enough range charging only 2-3 times a month. Once of the reasons I got long range.

Sure there is some effort involved. But there's also LOADS of time saved elsewhere that you would normally spend on an ICE. It's not any worse. Just different.

I have a MYP with 5200 miles with 21" Ubers. I live in N. FL and have had to use the A/C since I picked it up in July. I've sat in parking lots with the A/C running for at least 20 hours since July, and my lifetime Wh/mi is 262. After T.S. Eta passes by tomorrow, cooler air will finally get here in a few days, and I am looking forward to running without the A/C.

As far as I am aware any power used to run the climate control system, heated seats, entertainment system, etc. while the Tesla vehicle is parked does not get included in the Wh/mi calculation. 262Wh/mi is a very impressive given the 21" wheels. Florida is the second flattest state in the 50 states. The flattest state is Illinois. Florida weather, especially daytime temperatures in the spring/summer/fall are ideal for maximum battery performance. In any EV range test I would bet on Florida or Illinois (in summer) to win.

Month Low High
Jan 52.4°F 70.1°F
Feb 53.8°F 71.6°F
Mar 58.5°F 76.3°F
Apr 62.4°F 80.6°F
May 68.9°F 86.3°F
Jun 74.0°F 88.9°F
Jul 75.3°F 89.7°F
Aug 75.4°F 90.0°F
Sept 74.3°F 89.0°F
Oct 67.6°F 84.1°F
Nov 60.7°F 78.0°F
Dec 54.7°F 72.0°F

Hi jcanoe,

I thought the same thing, but the Wh/mi since last charge takes a massive hit after sitting 30 minutes with the A/C on setting 5! I must have been barely clicked over to a lower lifetime Wh/mi, but after one long parking lot session, the lifetime average went back up by one watt. It took quite a bit of normal driving to get back to where I had been.

I agree on the flatness of Fl and its weather make it ideal for EV efficiency! I will likely get in 5 months or more with no A/C needed and will seldom have to use the heating mode of the heat pump.

Hi jcanoe,

I thought the same thing, but the Wh/mi since last charge takes a massive hit after sitting 30 minutes with the A/C on setting 5! I must have been barely clicked over to a lower lifetime Wh/mi, but after one long parking lot session, the lifetime average went back up by one watt. It took quite a bit of normal driving to get back to where I had been.

I agree on the flatness of Fl and its weather make it ideal for EV efficiency! I will likely get in 5 months or more with no A/C needed and will seldom have to use the heating mode of the heat pump.
Maybe it is only the power used during preconditioning that does not factor into the Wh/mi calculations.

The stated range is achievable.

My lifetime (~5000 miles) Wh/mi is 242
Since the fall started (~1400 miles) it's 235

With a 75kwh battery, that's
75000 Wh / 242 Wh/mi = 310 mile range for the lifetime, and
75000 Wh / 235 Wh/mi = 319 mile range for this fall so far.

It'll drop this winter, but I hit or exceed the claimed 316 miles / charge rate regularly.

Just curious; w
The stated range is achievable.

My lifetime (~5000 miles) Wh/mi is 242
Since the fall started (~1400 miles) it's 235

With a 75kwh battery, that's
75000 Wh / 242 Wh/mi = 310 mile range for the lifetime, and
75000 Wh / 235 Wh/mi = 319 mile range for this fall so far.

It'll drop this winter, but I hit or exceed the claimed 316 miles / charge rate regularly.
Just curious; when you drive on the highway what speed to you maintain?

Just curious; w

Just curious; when you drive on the highway what speed to you maintain?

Most of my commute is highway. It's somewhere around:

30% at 72 MPH (70 MPH road)
70% at 58 MPH (55 MPH road)

Sometimes I don't bother changing lanes when coming up on a slow truck. That adds quite a bit to efficiency. Using FSD, I'm more relaxed and care a little less concerned about shaving off a minute or two from my drive.

Reactions: mikes_fsd
I checked yesterday and my lifetime is 1,835 miles and 300 Wh/mi :( I do prefer to drive faster as this is one of the fun parts of owning a Tesla, but not over 70-75 mph for sure.

Trialed yesterday 60 mph on the highway and landed at 290 Wh/mi for the round trip. Slightly better, but still far off from what other people posting here. Plus overnight it lost 4 miles of range out of nowhere (it is still warm in CT and I am not using Sentry mode).

I see people here protecting Tesla and its battery life marketing strategy, but for people like me that don't really want to get into details (you can call me a dumb average consumer), this looks like a complete scam.